Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 10:41 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,482,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
I love (in my own way) Jesus, but why does it seem that his followers are the most aggressive when it comes to sharing their faith (other than maybe LDS members)?
Because they're under the impression that their beliefs represent the highest moral standards.

You should see it when I tell them that I renounced the Christianity in which I was raised, and that a key reason was that I found Christianity's moral standards intolerably deficient. A belief system in which you can commit any wrong, say you're sorry, believe a certain belief, and avoid consequences--that belief system fosters and promotes serious evil. It encourages the forgiveness of wrongdoing with no actual atonement or compensation, and that's astonishing--but it's a fantastic deal for evil, which is why the religion attracts so very much of it.

I then point out the way so many Christians will gang up on anyone who seems to suggest authentically living the beliefs espoused in the New Testament. And mention that, incredibly, this religion has such a superiority complex that it sends people out with a license to pressure people, who were otherwise minding their own business, to convert to it. The supposed converts are not supposed to take offense to that. Then mention that I've just been served yet again a refresher course in why I left this religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 08:11 AM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am unclear as to what you mean by "the other side". I am a Christian, and I did indeed chime in before you did.

Read again Miss Blue's words above. They sound very similar to the admonition of Francis of Assisi, which pretty much every Christian has heard at one time or another: "Preach the gospel at all times, and if necessary, use words."

There are very, very few people in this country who have not heard "the good news"; that is, the basic tenets of what Christians believe and live by. Most non-Christians hear it and dismiss it, and you can't really blame them. It sounds somewhat demented on the surface. Yammering on about something they've already tuned out does not do anything but annoy anyone. If you genuinely care about someone, you try not to annoy them. If you think about it honestly, the urge to "preach" to someone who has not shown an interest has much more to do with the person doing the talking trying to follow a rule literally than it does with truly caring about anyone.

I once read a story about a man who thought as you do. He became a Christian and thought it was his job to run around telling people he knew about what he believed and urging them to believe the same thing. He was hurt when his best friend bolted whenever he saw him coming. Twenty years later, he realized how wrong he was. His preaching was without compassion, without a respect for the other person's point of view. He was just "spreading the word" because he'd read some verses that said that was what he was supposed to do, and that was obvious to everyone else. Your heart and how you relate to others, not what you say or what you rules you follow, are what will draw others in. There is no one else for us to work on but ourselves, unless and until someone is drawn to what they see in us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
"Preach the gospel always - when necessary, use words."

I've found that living the gospel is more effective than preaching at people.
Hey, Copy cat!

Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,822,947 times
I have never lost a friend over religion and two of my most precious ones are constantly trying to to convert us. I was at their house watching a movie and my friends husband, who I love dearly, asked me if I wanted to watch something about the scriptures. I told him that I'd rather pull me teeth out with pliers. We both laughed. I asked him later on in the night if he would like to watch a girlie movie with us and he said that he'd rather hang himself. Yet another round of laughter. He is in a play every year to raise money for the church and we go see everyone of them. It doesn't mean that we're supporting religion. We do it out of friendship and respect for his belief system. I'm thinking about volunteering for their special needs adult program on Thursday nights as well. Hmmm he did say that some day he was going to get me in church, and I did tell him not to hold his breath, but I think I'd really enjoy working with special needs adults. I will not be singing any religious songs though. Those friendships are golden to me and it wouldn't matter if they were religious or not. I'm going fishing with him and the boys in May and you just don't get that kind of trust between people of the opposite sex that easily. (John said he doesn't want to go and I think his wife doesn't want to either) I don't take offense when they try to convert me to their one size fits all mentality, nor do they take offense with my anti religion rhetoric. If you can put a different spin on it you come to realize that it's because of their love for you and their need to see you safe into the after life so that we can all live happily ever after in their fantasy land together. It's really sweet when you think of it that way and how can you be mad at someone with a different belief system that believes that they're trying to help you? I can't. I just feel the love, respect their desire to do what they think is a favor, and counter with something logical. Like how can there be a conscious after life when the brain dies thus ending all thought process? Some of the answers I've heard will blow your mind and involves magical thinking to the max, and I tell them that it's hopeless. Then we go back to drinking more wine and having lots of laughs. See, it's all good

Old 12-24-2015, 09:51 AM

835 posts, read 659,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Have any of you lost a friend over religion?
any one who tried to convert me especially to the cult of Islam will.lose more than friendship.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:54 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,162,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have a dear friend who is Christian. I'm Agnostic. I understand how much his faith means to him and gives him comfort, etc., and I respect that, which I've told him.

I've made it clear that I am an Agnostic and not Christian. Although, I read spiritual books as part of my morning meditation, etc., which I've told him.

We speak on the telephone at least once a week. Unfortunately, it seems that he's on a mission to convert me. I've told him many times that I respect how much his faith means to him, but that I don't share it.

I think it's time to tell him I don't want to discuss it any further and to please stop trying to "help me find my God," etc.

But, I worry it's going to be a friendship ender. Since he's convinced that his God is real and that I'd be happy if only I "knew Him," etc., I worry that he won't give me the same respect I've given him regarding his religion, with an equal respect of my lack of one.

I'm spiritual, but I don't like organized religion. I've told him this, but he seems intent on converting me.

My experience with organized religion has taught me that most are cult-ish. You are believers, or you are under the influence of the dark side. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of acceptance of non-believers.

Have any of you lost a friend over religion?
Christian is not a religion. What religion is this person?

Old 12-24-2015, 10:49 AM

865 posts, read 1,079,138 times
No, it has not happened to me. If I ever did have a friend who tried to convert me, then I would reciprocate the effort and do my utmost to demonstrate to the friend why his or her religion was a delusional crutch.

Old 12-24-2015, 11:05 AM

2,639 posts, read 2,000,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

There are very, very few people in this country who have not heard "the good news"; that is, the basic tenets of what Christians believe and live by. Most non-Christians hear it and dismiss it, and you can't really blame them.

Yammering on about something they've already tuned out does not do anything but annoy anyone.
Once, on the job, someone tried to convert me by having an evangelist confront me.

In effect, the perpetrator was using my obligation to be there to ram his religion down my throat.

Because of this dirty trick, I was fuming all the while the evangelist was haranguing me,

Finally, they gave up, and I was able to do my work.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:20 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,659,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
OK first off there are Christians and then there are Christians . There are many devout Christians with strong beliefs who do not wear it on their sleeve and try to convert everyone to their belief. Then there are Churches (generally "born agains") who feel they must spread the word to all nonbelievers.
The many different Protestant religions and Catholic Church are all Christian.
I attempt to avoid religious discussions with the extremists just as I do with extreme Republicans or Democrats. Those who do not accept that I do not share their opinions may find I see them MUCH less.

Exactly. These are two different groups of people.

Has anyone lost a friendship over religion? I lost a FAMILY. Father, mother, two sisters a brother and their kids.

I am an ordained minister of a church that is mainstream. My parents are members of an extreme, fundamentalist Pentecostal sect.

If I said the name of my denomination, most of you here would recognize it as a valid Protestant denomination. My parents think that I've joined a cult.

I take no issue with other Protestant denominations, Catholics, Eastern Orthodox, Jews, Hindus or Muslims, Sikhs, and Unitarians. None of these people have given me any grief or judgement. I work in a university, where as a practicing Christian I am in a minority.

So please everyone - not ALL Christians are like my family, or these other fanatics.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:30 PM

2,639 posts, read 2,000,339 times
I'm sorry to hear this, SoulJohn. How could joining a mainstream church be a "cult"??????? Doesn't your family consider mainstream churches to be respectable?

(My experience with a cult-I was all too trusting at the time-was to end up in a Moonie indoctrination camp out in the middle of nowhere).

Old 12-24-2015, 11:23 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,588,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
It's really sweet when you think of it that way and how can you be mad at someone with a different belief system that believes that they're trying to help you? I can't. I just feel the love, respect their desire to do what they think is a favor, and counter with something logical. Like how can there be a conscious after life when the brain dies thus ending all thought process? Some of the answers I've heard will blow your mind and involves magical thinking to the max, and I tell them that it's hopeless. Then we go back to drinking more wine and having lots of laughs. See, it's all good

My experience when trying to discuss logically with someone who wants to convert me, is that there is very little logic involved.

I can remember being extremely frustrated in the 2nd grade at a Catholic school where we were taught by nuns. I affected me so much I remember it to this day.

I remember the lesson was that during communion at mass in the Catholic church, that the wafer turned into the flesh of Jesus and the wine turned into his blood.

I remember saying that that was incorrect, that they "symbolized" the blood and flesh of Jesus. I have no idea where I learned the word symbolized, but I remember saying it.

I was told, "You don't question God," etc. That it was a matter of faith and if I didn't believe, then it was blasphemy and I'd go to hell.

Religion is not logical.

I do agree with you that it's lovely that my friend wants me to have peace in this life and the next. But, his faith is not logical. I'm grateful for his good wishes, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I'm sorry to hear this, SoulJohn. How could joining a mainstream church be a "cult"??????? Doesn't your family consider mainstream churches to be respectable?

(My experience with a cult-I was all too trusting at the time-was to end up in a Moonie indoctrination camp out in the middle of nowhere).
To me, a cult is a "faith" that says their way is the only way. In that sense, any religion that says their religion is the only way to heaven, is a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships