Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,251,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Sure, go ahead and boil it down to one simple sentence.
It's a pretty good sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 10:01 AM

1,333 posts, read 886,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"My question is, should I quit vaping solely because they want me to, whether or not their reasoning is factually based?"

Respecting your parents wishes would be nice. It would be nicer, if you wanted to independently quit.

"Should I bother pushing the topic or just let it die?"

If you like arguing, then push it. If you want to live hassle free until June, drop it.

You know, you could just quit until June. You said you weren't going to vape in the house anyway. You could spend the next five or six months researching medical documents about vaping.
Yeah, this is my current decision. Just quit until June then decide what I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
IMO, people that sit in Starbucks drinking coffee, or drinking beer at a spots bar, drinking wine at a restaurant or smoking cigars at a lounge or vaping are at the same health risk level. They all look stupid and pretentious.
Your opinion doesn't actually dictate reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I watched your video and while there are points, the comment on your video is unwarranted and supported by facts. It's the same as trying to pass off "facts" in Michael Moore documentaries or the Planned Parenthood video. Possibly true but likely faulty.
If it is true, it doesn't mean e-Cigs are healthy, but you do have to take all of these studies with a grain of salt. Do your own research.
I'm aware that it's not necessarily fact, I was just commenting on someone else saying it was a possibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
To me it just seems like common sense that intentionally inhaling anything foreign into your lungs is probably not a good idea.
There's all kinds of chemicals in the air that are probably not a good idea to be ingesting... Nobody complains about it. The time it becomes a problem is if somebody is enjoying it, then it's bad and worth calling someone a douche bag.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,065,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
So, I'm sure most of you are probably aware of this new "fad:" Vaping. And yeah, I'm one of those suckers who vapes. Why did I start? I thought it'd be fun to see vapor coming out of my mouth. Why do I do it now? It's a very relaxing experience to hangout with friends and vape. There's a sort of relaxing haze and everyone's just hanging around talking. Normally we have really good conversations. I really like this.
Quote:
The thing that really bothered me here was that they were so emphatic on the point that I just want to be cool and I did not know what I was vaping. At risk of sounding like an *******, I hold myself pretty highly and my parents saying this was kind of a shot straight to my self esteem.
Quote:
I'm looking for suggestions.
Should I quit vaping because they want me to, despite the obvious hypocrisy?
Should I try to show them the hypocrisy of what they said, or not risk the conflict?
Am I in the wrong?
I just don't know the next step. Right now I am just avoiding having to talk to them too much because I know exactly what will happen when we do talk. Everything will be going great and they'll just pop out of the blue with how I only care about being cool.
What I read was that you, like a typical teenager, jumped onto a bandwagon you're well aware is a bandwagon for a typical teenage reason (i.e. "I thought it'd be fun, meh") and continue doing it for another typical teenage reason (i.e. "Because it's chill and we're just hanging, man") and are mad that your parents struck a chord by outing your vaping for what it is:

You buying into a "cool" trend which, like a typical teenager, you'll make out to be deeper than it actually is just to counter the point. Because, like a typical teenager who isn't terribly dumb, you're so much smarter than your parents give you credit for and hold your character and principles and ability to reason and control the manner in which you conduct yourself and why in high regard.

And as such, have a biting need to put them in their place by exposing their hypocrisy and illuminating how wrong they are about your vaping endeavors that are far more involved than they believed, what with you building your own units and whatnot.

How dare they think you, of all people, would do something just to be cool? You! The very same person who did it in the first place because it'd be cool -- oh, sorry. I meant fun. Don't know how I got those two words confused...

Look. It's pretty much been covered. Their house, their rules. They don't like it, vape somewhere else and don't have your supplies sent there. Any "discomfort" you're experiencing beyond that is your pride speaking and you can have all the pride you like after you move out.

Then you can argue every point, poke holes in all their logic, and toss every reliable study you find citing that vaping isn't as damaging as they, in their infinite parental ignorance, make it out to be in their faces and that you are way too cool to care about being cool. Otherwise, what advice do you really need?

Old 01-05-2016, 12:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,975,967 times
Quote:
Yeah, this is my current decision. Just quit until June then decide what I think.
It's good you have done common sense there.

Quote:
Your opinion doesn't actually dictate reality
The point the poster was making is it is only one of many harmful activities they look down on that we do.

Quote:
If it is true, it doesn't mean e-Cigs are healthy, but you do have to take all of these studies with a grain of salt. Do your own research.
I'm aware that it's not necessarily fact, I was just commenting on someone else saying it was a possibility.
You mentioned a key word, if. It maybe true. It is certainly reasonable the big pharma companies do contribute to anti-vaping but why? They could easily come up with a gum or patch to replace vaping. That would help their bottom line after all. The medical world don't know it has benefits, only former smokers turned vapers do. My sister-in-law is one. Me, I find second hand vape (at least from the eCigs produced by tobacco companies) do cause similar issues to traditional second hand smoke.

Quote:
here's all kinds of chemicals in the air that are probably not a good idea to be ingesting... Nobody complains about it. The time it becomes a problem is if somebody is enjoying it, then it's bad and worth calling someone a douche bag.
Well starting fires unless on land you can't burn on or days you can't burn on is a crime. We fine companies for excessive pollution. So we do try to mitigate the carcinogens in the air. Smoking and to an extent vaping is not.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
What I read was that you, like a typical teenager, jumped onto a bandwagon you're well aware is a bandwagon for a typical teenage reason (i.e. "I thought it'd be fun, meh") and continue doing it for another typical teenage reason (i.e. "Because it's chill and we're just hanging, man") and are mad that your parents struck a chord by outing your vaping for what it is:

You buying into a "cool" trend which, like a typical teenager, you'll make out to be deeper than it actually is just to counter the point. Because, like a typical teenager who isn't terribly dumb, you're so much smarter than your parents give you credit for and hold your character and principles and ability to reason and control the manner in which you conduct yourself and why in high regard.

And as such, have a biting need to put them in their place by exposing their hypocrisy and illuminating how wrong they are about your vaping endeavors that are far more involved than they believed, what with you building your own units and whatnot.

How dare they think you, of all people, would do something just to be cool? You! The very same person who did it in the first place because it'd be cool -- oh, sorry. I meant fun. Don't know how I got those two words confused...

Look. It's pretty much been covered. Their house, their rules. They don't like it, vape somewhere else and don't have your supplies sent there. Any "discomfort" you're experiencing beyond that is your pride speaking and you can have all the pride you like after you move out.

Then you can argue every point, poke holes in all their logic, and toss every reliable study you find citing that vaping isn't as damaging as they, in their infinite parental ignorance, make it out to be in their faces and that you are way too cool to care about being cool. Otherwise, what advice do you really need?
Do you seriously think that adults don't do things because they're relaxing and "chill"?
When you come home and sit on the couch and a have a beer, what makes you so different? You're drinking something potentially dangerous because it's relaxing and fun. This isn't to say I'm better than you and I think I'm smarter than you or anything along those lines. The simple fact of the matter is that both activities are relatively similar and there IS hypocrisy in condemning one as unhealthy, douchy and immoral and the other is "just having a drink."

You wrote up a whole paragraph which was all attacking this strawman that is "I can't accept that I'm doing it to be cool" which, as I've said repeatedly is not the case. If my friends are playing a video game and it looks like they're having fun playing it, so I play it too and realize that it actually is fun: does that mean I'm just trying to be cool if I keep playing it?

You could have skipped all of that and just jumped down to the bold part. The rest is irrelevant, uncalled for and largely incorrect. Yes, I understand it's their house and I do intend to do what they've requested, as I've stated already (which is conveniently repeatedly ignored, because it's a lot easier to demonize me when you do so)

Quote:
My end resolution to this was promising them I would not vape in their house and that if reliable studies show up proving that vaping is in fact as damaging as they make it out to be, I have no problem putting it down.
I'll be true to my word on both points.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,074,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
To me it just seems like common sense that intentionally inhaling anything foreign into your lungs is probably not a good idea.
While true, following that belief strictly would cause one to restrict breathing in many places to zero.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:47 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,866,838 times
I switched to ecigs after 15 years of smoking regular cigarettes and it helps me save a TON of money yet still enjoy the wonderful antipsychotic effects of nicotine (google it. Nicotine is the world's oldest anti psychotic!) I'm not psychotic, but it helps me from feeling that way. I just hate how many cornballs latched onto it and kinda sorta ruined it for those of us who do it for reasons other than looking cool. Sadly you dorks are ruining it for the rest of us. I hope you all choke to death on your fancy bubble gum flavored blow.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I switched to ecigs after 15 years of smoking regular cigarettes and it helps me save a TON of money yet still enjoy the wonderful antipsychotic effects of nicotine (google it. Nicotine is the world's oldest anti psychotic!) I'm not psychotic, but it helps me from feeling that way. I just hate how many cornballs latched onto it and kinda sorta ruined it for those of us who do it for reasons other than looking cool. Sadly you dorks are ruining it for the rest of us. I hope you all choke to death on your fancy bubble gum flavored blow.
Can you describe what makes someone a "cornball"?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:11 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,921,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
IMO, people that sit in Starbucks drinking coffee, or drinking beer at a spots bar, drinking wine at a restaurant or smoking cigars at a lounge or vaping are at the same health risk level. They all look stupid and pretentious.
Moderate amounts of alcohol and coffee actually have health benefits.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Moderate amounts of alcohol and coffee actually have health benefits.
So does nicotine in small doses
(According to Scientific America: Is Nicotine All Bad? - Scientific American)
Quote:
Some studies show nicotine, like caffeine, can even have positive effects. It's a stimulant, which raises the heart rate and increases the speed of sensory information processing, easing tension and sharpening the mind.
All this raises other questions: Could nicotine prime the brains of young people to seek harder stuff? Or, in an ageing society, could its stimulant properties benefit people whose brains are slowing, warding off cognitive decline into Alzheimer's and delaying the progression of Parkinson's disease?
Still questions about it, of course, but seems to be a good amount of research that suggests nicotine is similar to caffeine in small doses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships