Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 01:02 PM

221 posts, read 424,425 times

Advertisements

This neighbor tries to say my cat is invading his personal property.

How should I approach the situation?

The wall is between my backyard and his.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
Cats don't respect boundaries. Keep your cat inside where it is safe or build a catio for it. Google " catio" if you don't know what it is.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:24 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,813,341 times
Your cat belongs inside.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:44 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Unless your neighbor has a bird sanctuary, he's being unreasonable. I'd love to tell him to write the city government to ask how to handle it legally, just for fun.

People let cats out all the time; I think the other posters are wrong to demand that the cat be kept indoors.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
People let cats out all the time; I think the other posters are wrong to demand that the cat be kept indoors.
I don't think it is unreasonable at all for cats to be kept indoors. Its downright upsetting to some dogs to see cats in their front yard...and can be costly. Twice my dog put her paw through a window trying to chase a cat. That is like $1800 pop emergency vet bill plus the pain, recovery of the dog. I thought it was just this dog, but chatted with people and lots of people had similar experiences.

Then there is cats pooping in your lawn. If people with dogs have to scoop, I think cat owners should have to follow their cats and clean up after them too!

Have you ever woken up to cats fighting in the middle of the night outside your bedroom window? I HAVE! Way too many times to count

I hit and killed a dog who was chasing a cat. I felt terrible but I couldn't avoid it (it actually ran under my truck, so I went over it with my back wheels). The owners were so upset (not with me). Their usually well behaved dog bolted out of the front door because it saw the neighbors cat and chased it.

I had a cat who kept coming in my back yard and scratching up a piece of outdoor furniture.

So no, cats need to stay inside. If they can't, they need not to be pets. I know people love them...I am sure if I wasn't allergic, I would want one too. But your pet can't cause problems for other people...if they do, you aren't a responsible pet owner.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:11 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
I vote for indoor cat. I have had 4 cats in my life and one was an outdoor stray we fed but she refused to be an indoor cat. The indoor cats lived longer and better and bothered no one. The outdoor cat we finally gave to someone who had farmland and it lived happily in the barn until it got in a fight with something (raccoon perhaps) that tore her throat out. Outdoor cats kill wildlife (especially birds) and can catch illnesses.

Also - outdoor cats can't be trained to stay on property. That means it'll be in your neighbors space and if that neighbor doesn't want it there s/he is well within rights to call animal control, and probably will after being annoyed enough. Then you face fines, or the shelter puts it down (a local shelter was fast about stray cats).

Keep your cat inside for the benefit of everyone.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I'd be more worried that your neighbor will put out poison in his yard. Or shoot your cat. Keep it inside.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM

318 posts, read 372,707 times
I had a menagerie of cats. I adore cats. I am a crazy cat lady.

I HATE free roaming indoor/outdoor cats, and there have been some I spent money because of fixing damage to MY home they caused. There were two that took turns urinating on every door on about 30something different townhouses. They peed outside, my INDOOR cats detected it on the inside of that door, were upset and starting peeing inside. I had to tear up and replace NEW flooring I installed a few months before. I was furious. I was cleaning the outside area daily, dousing it in enzymatic cleaner and sprinkling bulk cayanne everywhere outside. So those lovely owners cost me about $600 retail in the flooring I removed, the extra cleaners and deterrents I bought (Not including the replacement flooring I STILL need to buy.). We've been awakened many, many, many at 3am to screaming cat matches in the street. When I first moved here it was nightly. one night woke up to the usual screaming, then BAM followed by silence, never saw that one cat again.

Unless you live in the sticks with no close neighbors I am of the mind it's disrespectful to allow cats outside. Unless you have a catio, a harness system (aka, stuff to keep them on YOUR property)

They will see other people's stuff as theirs and mark along with the other outdoor kitties. They'll dig in other peoples flower beds. People without cats do not wish to clean catpoop or pee. People with their own pets hate other people's cats in the window upsetting theirs in their own homes.

Either cougars, or someone who is fed up keeps taking out our problem cats. I know a few locals who found their cats shot or poisoned. and, as much as I love cats, I didn't refuse the free lilies I was offered for my garden bed.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:52 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
This neighbor tries to say my cat is invading his personal property.

How should I approach the situation?

The wall is between my backyard and his.
Keep your cat inside if you care about it.

Your cat could be dead right.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:56 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
We had a neighbor in our old neighborhood with a black cat that he let roam the streets. This cat loved to climb up and down fences, get into our backyard, etc. We have a dog, and that cat would simply antagonize him on purpose. I lost count of how many fence boards I had to replace that the dog broke jumping against our fence.

I finally figured out who's cat it was, and I went over to talk to them and ask them to keep their cat inside. We had a newborn, and we'd already had several occasions where our dog would be barking at the cat and wake up our daughter.

They basically told me to screw off.

I wasn't about to lay out poison that could potentially be eaten by my own dog, and I didn't want the cat killed, just kept away from my property.

Went out and bought a small pistol bb gun. After a couple times of being hit on our property, it stopped coming around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.