Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:50 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,407,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
It's out of the realm of the (very limited) logic anti-cat people can comprehend, but "Neighborhood Cats" can be a very positive thing for an area. I know researching that would be out of the question, but cats aren't going anywhere. As a human, you can embrace that fact of nature, or keep doing as most humans choose to do, hate and agonize over something you know nothing about thinking that hate and anger will make your tiny little sphere of reality a better place.
The problem is.......cats have no real value.....unless it is a show cat.

Free kittens are in every publication.

Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM

9,153 posts, read 14,803,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Unless your neighbor has a bird sanctuary, he's being unreasonable. I'd love to tell him to write the city government to ask how to handle it legally, just for fun.

People let cats out all the time; I think the other posters are wrong to demand that the cat be kept indoors.
It depends on the area. In my county and town, cats are considered pets and subject to the leash law. If I called the city regarding a cat they will probably come trap it and take it to the shelter.

Pets belong inside where they do not bother other people. Cats also kill many birds.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Unless your neighbor has a bird sanctuary, he's being unreasonable. I'd love to tell him to write the city government to ask how to handle it legally, just for fun.

People let cats out all the time; I think the other posters are wrong to demand that the cat be kept indoors.
No one is demanding anything.

It is simple........if you love your cat........keep it safe.

If not........well.....is isn't pretty.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:18 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,672,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The problem is.......cats have no real value.....unless it is a show cat.

Free kittens are in every publication.
Thank you for making my point better than I could

Who determines value?
What are you 'valued" at?

Old 01-04-2016, 11:33 AM

595 posts, read 1,259,706 times
Default move

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
This neighbor tries to say my cat is invading his personal property.

How should I approach the situation?

The wall is between my backyard and his.
The guy is warning you that any reminder of you likely annoys him and it ain't gonna be pretty.

Stick with those who like and support you even if they challenge you and make you uncomfortable if they are discussing something for your own good and really are in your best interests listen to them!

Then the negativity should lessen.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Thank you for making my point better than I could

Who determines value?
What are you 'valued" at?
The purchasing public determines the value.

How much do house cats sell for???

Old 01-04-2016, 11:35 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,837,690 times
I'd have no issue with a cat walking on the wall. But, cats don't stay on the wall. They jump down to explore or chase something or poop in the flower beds. That I have a problem with. If I wanted a cat on my property, I'd own a cat. Since I don't, I shouldn't have to deal with yours. Keep cats inside!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 AM

149 posts, read 167,260 times
I don't know what country you are from. I know the US is seeing a trend of having cats kept as pure indoor pets. Most shelters here will not even adopt a cat to someone if they know the adopter will let the cat outside. I agree with this sentiment for many reasons. The outdoors is just not as safe for your cat as your home is. However I know in other countries letting cats be indoor/ outdoor or outdoor only is more common. I've personally taken in cats that were living outside and after an adjustment period of up to a few months they are happy and content indoors and won't even try to leave the home even if the door is left open for bringing in groceries etc.

If you feel like you must let the cat outside there are two solutions- well three but I don't like the third

1. Have specialty fencing built off the wall. There are fences that will bend inward when the cat attempts to climb it, thereby returning the cat to the interior of your yard or fences that just provide an additional screen/ fence section that extends outward at an angle the cat can't climb over.

There are commercial kits like this one: 100' Cat Fence Conversion System. These can get pricey or you can find DIY instructions online if you are handy or know someone who will build it for you. An online search of "cat fencing" will give you some nice ideas.

2. Catios- screened in areas that can be stand alone or attached to a window so the cat can enter/ exit at will. There are many catios available online especially if you are in Canada or the US. They tend to be pricey but not as expensive as option one or two.

3. A permanent outdoor enclosure and the most expensive/ labor intensive option. I've never seen a commercial cat outdoor enclosure meant for keeping cats outdoors on a permanent basis. Usually wildlife enclosures are adapted or you can build your own. But, I'd only really recommend this option for cats that are feral rescues who are untouchable and can't adapt to an indoor lifestyle. Still it's an option. They require upkeep so you need to be moderately handy if you go this route. If you don't have a tool box already you'd need help with a long-term enclosure that is under constant exposure to the elements.

Personally I don't mind community cats but I am sensitive to those who do. I do caretake for some outdoor ferals and neighborhood pets that were here when I moved in. I guess the neighbors knew about them long before I moved in so no one is upset but somewhere there is a neighbor who is letting their fancy cats roam and breed. I'm flipping the bill to get them fixed and vaccinated. I'm a bit bitter about that since after buying a home the last thing I wanted was the added expense of paying vet bills for cats that don't share my home but I don't care that the cats are coming into my yard- it's the breeding that bothers me. I think your neighbor is a bit ridiculous for caring about a cat on a wall but as the pet owner it is your job to make sure your cat isn't creating a nuisance to others. And here, if a cat is outside it's considered an "at large" animal that can be taken to the pound, given a short waiting period to see if an owner claims it and then it is either euthanized due to overcrowding issues or put up for adoption if it is a perfect candidate for adoption. Again this is different in other areas, especially those outside the US.

If you don't do anything I can guarantee that your neighbors are researching how to keep cats off the wall. I've heard of people using grease (there are even products sold for this purpose) that will make the wall ledge less desirable. Then the cats get greasy and create even more of a nuisance once they return to your house (or if they walk over car windshields- possibly enraging your neighbors even further). If the grease doesn't work they might gravitate towards broken glass or something even more harmful to your cat. I'd take your neighbor's complaint very seriously.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:54 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,410,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Keep your cat inside. In my town, it is completely illegal to have a cat roaming around like you described - if I was your neighbor I'd have animal control all over this.
You are lucky.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:55 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,410,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
This neighbor tries to say my cat is invading his personal property.
The cat is invading his personal property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.