Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2016, 06:17 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,851,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
It is true that having a colony of SPAYED and NEUTERED cats is good.

Good for who? Perhaps for the cats, but for the humans who have to live with them around not so much. We have one of those "crazy" cat ladies in our neighborhood that leaves food out for all the feral cats. Now, thanks to her, we also have an overrun of possums, raccoons, foxes and coyotes who are drawn to either the food or the cats (as food). Please do not tell me that having possums and raccoons who get into people's garbage or foxes who routinely carry rabies or coyotes who are dangerous to domestic pets is a good thing. It's not.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 01-05-2016 at 06:46 AM..

Old 01-05-2016, 07:02 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,851,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
My suggestion: elimnate your neighbor (non-fatally, of course.) Make his life h**l in as many ways as you can think of. But keep your cat safely inside until you successfully get rid of him.

Cat haters have no reason to exist.

Why is someone called a cat "hater" if they prefer not to have your precious little Muffykins on their personal property? That makes no sense at all. Am I a "people" hater if I prefer not to have uninvited guests make themselves at home in my den? Are you a dog "hater" if it annoys when a neighbor's dog poops on your lawn? I think not. You'd just be someone who expects others to be respectful of what is yours. The people you call cat "haters" due to their responses suggesting the cat owner keep the cat indoors are asking for nothing more than that.

I do not like cats and yet I think cats, just like dogs, should live inside with their people where they can be loved and cared for like any other family member. I hate to see cats outside in the rain or cold because I perceive that as unkindness and lack of care from whoever owns them. IMO, people who keep animals outside exposed to the harsh elements are the real "haters".

Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,427,871 times
I read a thread about people wanting the OP to keep his cat safe.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,263,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
It's out of the realm of the (very limited) logic anti-cat people can comprehend, but "Neighborhood Cats" can be a very positive thing for an area. I know researching that would be out of the question, but cats aren't going anywhere. As a human, you can embrace that fact of nature, or keep doing as most humans choose to do, hate and agonize over something you know nothing about thinking that hate and anger will make your tiny little sphere of reality a better place.
There is absolutely nothing that loose cats can do for an area that is positive, other than keep the coyote and owl population well fed.

Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,263,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
+1 (more if I could)!

Firstly, what about people who live in the flat-out country? Can't their dogs and cats roam?

Secondly, shouldn't some animal pets simply be allowed to roam regardless? They all weren't always domesticated animals. Some type of dogs you can't even keep indoors.

Thirdly, are we really trying to pretend that cats pooing outside is anything more than a smokescreen when compared to the fecal output of dogs? (Apologies if others have brought this up, as I haven't had a chance to read all posts.) My parents have lived next to more than one dog owner, in a very "country suburb". All said owners have let their dogs roam freely. All dogs have pooped on my parents' lawn. Why isn't this type of behavior more universally seen as an outrage by any civilized person in the first world?
I live in the "flat out" country. No, my dogs dont roam, they are kept behind fencing. Cats can roam, but dont last long. If the coyotes and owls dont get them, people shoot them. Nice life for them dont you agree?

Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM

842 posts, read 780,915 times
When we had dogs, I kept them inside at night, and neighbor cats used our yard as their latrine.

Every morning the dog's ritual was to find all the new spots & gobble them up. . . . EWWW!!!

For that reason, I truly disliked that there were cats in the neighborhood.

However . . . Now that we no longer have dogs, I appreciate the visiting cats during the day.

But, I still don't like 'finding' their spots where I garden! (If you get my drift.)

Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,703,803 times
Ask your neighbor to put out traps and to call you to identify the cat if in fact the cat is your cat.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,027,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
There is absolutely nothing that loose cats can do for an area that is positive, other than keep the coyote and owl population well fed.
Can't rep you, but I would if I could. I have dogs. They never leave my property unless I take them to undeveloped parkland our town has set aside for off-leashed dogs and horses. Yet, cat owners think nothing of allowing their pets to roam. I don't wish harm to any animal, but I won't feel guilty if one of those cats ends up on the wrong side of a fight with one of my dogs.

Old 01-05-2016, 12:53 PM

9,488 posts, read 10,856,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiay View Post
I love cats and keep mine indoors. I think they have a safer life this way and I don't have to worry that some nut job will harm them. However, there is a huge difference between dogs and cats in that cats can scale 8 foot fences (high fence) and dogs can't. If they should get out, or if they are allowed to go outside with their owners and sneak away, it would be normal for them to scale a fence or tree and get into someone else's yard. For sure, they will not be digging up your daisies like a dog likely would.

Cats try to cover their feces (in sand, soft dirt, etc. if outside). They don't tend to just drop a load any old place in the yard. Tell me a dog that covers its feces and I'll get a dog, too.

I agree with you here. I also keep my cat indoors for his own good. I do however get sick of hearing people who hate cats whining about them being in their yard, and I especially hate those post whining about the birds. Ill take cats over birds any day. As far as neighbors go, well yes all pets cause conflicts. Its impossible for people who like to own 1-4 dogs and cats to live peacefully in the same neighborhood with 70 year olds with manicured lawns who complain about your trash can being left out 8 hours after it was picked up. Nothing new here, you learn to either placate your picky neighbor or you learn to beat him. (im not defending letting pets run wild here, just stating reality) The OP has a cat on a wall dividing property, well in that case the OP needs to clear up who owns the wall. If its the OPs wall I would tell the neighbor to butt out. Picky nosy neighbors can make a huge pain of themselves and its best to not tolerate it if they are out of line. Tolerating it or placating it only encourages more of the bad behavior. Really complaining about cats being in the yard is a bit over the top. Unless these cats are marking his stuff I don't see what the problem is. Making issues over minor pet incursions is causing problems. I tolerate my neighbors dog making unwanted visits because its a minor issue. I would rather get along with the neighbor then enforce boundries regarding pets. The dog does not destroy my property so its not a big deal. The posts cat hating posts in here and the attitudes regarding pet ownership in a neighborhood in general remind me of why I like pets more than most people. The attitude in here of the pet owner being required to placate that picky 70 year old is just not true. If you live in the city, or in a suburban subdivision or anywhere you have neighbors then pets and children are part of living there. If you don't like it move out on a 10 acre plot. The world does not revolve around you.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:15 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,274,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Unless your neighbor has a bird sanctuary, he's being unreasonable. I'd love to tell him to write the city government to ask how to handle it legally, just for fun.

People let cats out all the time; I think the other posters are wrong to demand that the cat be kept indoors.
And when that cat comes into my backyard and my dogs take him/her out; don't complain to me. I'll return what is left if I know where the cat is supposed to live.

If that cat gets into my garage in the middle of winter, don't complain to me if I return it dead or it comes home and dies cause it ate some rat poisoning. I live on the edge of a field, so mice are a problem in the cold months, and my dogs are never allowed in the garage. And yes, I leave the garage door open at times.

If that cat crawls up under the hood of my truck to get warm, and I chew it up with the engine when I remote start it in the winter; expect to get the bill for the repair and or cleaning. (Did that once when I lived in MI and I had warned the owner three times that the cat was crawling up under the hood and he did not care; that is until I invited him over to see what was left of his cat.)

I am not a cat hater, in fact, I like cats in a house. However, I am a wondering cat hater. I will never intentionally hurt a cat, but I will not give a darn if it is hurt when wondering. That is on the owner who allows it to wander aimlessly.

As for walking along the wooden fence top between my neighbors and my property, I don't care. Just hope he/she does not fall off when the two 100+ lb dogs are outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships