Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 AM

352 posts, read 288,867 times

Advertisements

Most cats like to be outdoors and it can be done with a pet enclosure which can be made to blend in with the surroundings. They can be made to look like natural part of a yard. There should still be supervision and more than one entrance into the home.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cat+enclos...ax=1&ia=images

Moderator cut: delete

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-06-2016 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 01-06-2016, 07:50 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,265,765 times
No, but they are killing nearly 4 billion birds a year. Thats astounding.

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-sto...-killing-birds

Thankful more cat owners are keeping their cats locked up. The ones who dont...well, they wont be around long anyway.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,302,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Although I prefer indoor cats personally, I would not demand someone else's cat be kept indoors. Cats are welcome to come into my yard for a visit.
I agree with this.

We have two dogs and one cat. We live in a quiet neighborhood. Occasionally I see a few cats around and one cat in particular hangs out in the community space across the street from our house. When he's out there, my cat goes to the front window and stares him down - LOL.

When we go on walks, we see some cats outside. They tend to be friendly. One cat, who is always in the same yard, will actually walk "with" us for a block or so, or at least come out to visit us in the street as we walk past. If we walk at dusk, there are cats EVERYWHERE. I think it's cute.

Our cat is old and fat. He wants to go outside from time to time but it's always in the back yard and all he does is hang around on the patio. He literally never leaves the backyard - heck, he only steps off the patio if we're sitting out there with him and then it's just a few feet and he comes running back! But he LOVES laying in the sun out on that patio. I would never deprive him of that.

Our two dogs sometimes notice when there is a cat in our front yard, but they've never tried to lunge out the window. Heck, they don't even bark. They will, though, get up and go look out the window with their ears perked up. That's about it. They're not old. One is a hound mix and one is a lab mix.

Maybe I just have really laid back pets and neighbors, who knows. Zero cat problems that I'm aware of in the neighborhood.

Old 01-06-2016, 08:54 AM

897 posts, read 1,256,757 times
I would hate to have to bring back a mutilated cat to its owner's house after it got into my yard. Thankfully that has never happened and hopefully it never will but I have two GSDs and I am always worried because neither of them like cats much. I do think it's reasonable to expect cat owners to keep their cats secure either as indoor cats or with an outdoor cat enclosure. Here we have foxes and coyotes, and dogs get loose all the time (according to NextDoor). It just seems asinine to let your cat roam around and become a delicious meal.

Full disclosure: I love cats! If my wife wasn't allergic we'd have cats as well but she is and we don't and my dogs aren't used to cats and hate them. Put another way, OP - if the neighbor's dog constantly jumped the fence and got into your yard would you be annoyed/upset/etc? Would you talk to the owner?

Old 01-06-2016, 10:46 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,047,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post

......Why do people think they are more valuable in the grand scheme of things than cats? Really . . . What "worth" do humans have to this earth?

None! This earth would be so much better off i f we went extinct.

We humans think we have more value than all other life because of religion.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
No, but they are killing nearly 4 billion birds a year. Thats astounding.

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-sto...-killing-birds

That is not possible, You do the math!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:54 AM

761 posts, read 835,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't think it is unreasonable at all for cats to be kept indoors. Its downright upsetting to some dogs to see cats in their front yard...and can be costly. Twice my dog put her paw through a window trying to chase a cat. That is like $1800 pop emergency vet bill plus the pain, recovery of the dog. I thought it was just this dog, but chatted with people and lots of people had similar experiences.

Then there is cats pooping in your lawn. If people with dogs have to scoop, I think cat owners should have to follow their cats and clean up after them too!

Have you ever woken up to cats fighting in the middle of the night outside your bedroom window? I HAVE! Way too many times to count

I hit and killed a dog who was chasing a cat. I felt terrible but I couldn't avoid it (it actually ran under my truck, so I went over it with my back wheels). The owners were so upset (not with me). Their usually well behaved dog bolted out of the front door because it saw the neighbors cat and chased it.

I had a cat who kept coming in my back yard and scratching up a piece of outdoor furniture.

So no, cats need to stay inside. If they can't, they need not to be pets. I know people love them...I am sure if I wasn't allergic, I would want one too. But your pet can't cause problems for other people...if they do, you aren't a responsible pet owner.
And cat p*ss sprayed on my bushes stinks to high heavens.
Keep them inside and away from my song birds. TY!

Old 01-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Remember cats are animals too and you have NO right to harm them if they should wonder onto your yard.
FBI to start tracking animal cruelty in 2016

FBI to start tracking animal cruelty in 2016 | Tri-City Herald

Old 01-06-2016, 11:07 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,047,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Cats certainly do not "belong" indoors......
Apparently you have no clue about the dangers outdoors that await cats.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post
Keep them inside and away from my song birds. TY!
Windows kill more song birds than anything, nothing even comes close so if anyone declares they love birds I would think they have bird safe windows and I would think a bird lover would be pushing legislation to have new buildings built with bird safe windows instead of complaining about cats which don't come close to doing as much harm to birds as windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships