Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 PM

318 posts, read 374,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
I'm sitting here laughing my butt off at the image of a mean, vindictive, relentless cat that causes 3k in damage to patio furniture. In a neighborhood where the poster admits are raccoon, possums, etc. roaming around. yep it was the cat! 3K damage, to what? Your solid gold lame covered cushions? And a court that would actually hear such a case.

Humbug!
That's the thing with being awarded money in court, they would have had to prove it was the cat, prove the cat that did it, did indeed belong to the defendant in order to get a judgement. Likely also prove that they did things to correct the issue first (talking to owner about it to correct the issue while damage was minor/reparable). Who knows if it was scratching shredding this furniture or pee. cat pee though, they are some items that absorb the smell and never let it go. I'd consider that pretty "ruined". Cameras are cheap. the ones that can record on motion show you everything that visits your yard and what they are doing on said visits.

I wouldn't buy and couldn't afford $3K patio furniture- that doesn't mean such sets don't exist. they do, just not at the stores I visit. There's some really wild, beautiful and expensive outdoor furniture on the market.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:21 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,467,848 times
^^^^Absolutely! She also appears to be unfamiliar with the concept of small claims court and what it's for.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:00 PM

19,939 posts, read 22,881,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
We have coyotes, bobcats, and foxes. I have rarely seen an outdoor cat.
We have coyotes, cougars and fox. We have plenty of outdoor cats around here. I live outside of town in an area called the North Hills- behind me is National Forest and big game country.

I have a symric cat that kinda came with the house. She lives in the garage/shop (heated) and comes and goes as she pleases. Since she's lived in the shop- never had a mouse or a snake. Great cat!

Old 01-06-2016, 11:18 PM

579 posts, read 525,462 times
Yes I can imagine the plaintiff hauling her patio furniture into small claims court for the judge to smell so they can determine the extent of the pee damage.

Ahhhhh, no. No I cannot.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:47 PM

402 posts, read 980,200 times
Cats belong indoors

Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,105,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post

Men hate cats because cats represent the feminine
That is an erroneous, broad-brush statement that ill serves responsible discussion of the controversy, ie a stereotype.

Responsible animal husbandry of one's own household, and of outdoor pets, or the handling of strays is a legal, ethical, and cultural issue that applies equally to all.

Cats "represent the feminine" in some mythologies throughout the world. In many other cultures, however, wild cat species such as jaguar are considered distinctly "masculine".

A real life cat, however is either a stray in somebody's yard, or isn't. We are talking about the legal and ethical issues of stray cats here, not mythology or gender stereotypes.

Many men are responsible owners of indoor pet cats. Others are farmers and outdoorsmen who use cats for rodent control in rural areas.

Many women, on the other hand, do not appreciate cats.

Labelling men as "cat haters" is an emotional and biased statement that serves no good.

Nota Bene: "Not appreciating" is not the same as "hatred", and in no way implies any desire to harm or inflict cruelty.

I am a woman who traps and removes stray cat from her yard to the local animal shelter, and who will continue to do so. I appreciate what the animal shelter does -- and am such a frequent patron of it! -- that I am a dedicated lifetime supporting financial donor to the shelter. What they do is hard, and heartbreaking. And the need for animal shelters is caused entirely by irresponsible, careless -- and yes, cruel -- people.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:45 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,436,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
That is an erroneous, broad-brush statement that ill serves responsible discussion of the controversy, ie a stereotype.

Responsible animal husbandry of one's own household, and of outdoor pets, or the handling of strays is a legal, ethical, and cultural issue that applies equally to all.

Cats "represent the feminine" in some mythologies throughout the world. In many other cultures, however, wild cat species such as jaguar are considered distinctly "masculine".

A real life cat, however is either a stray in somebody's yard, or isn't. We are talking about the legal and ethical issues of stray cats here, not mythology or gender stereotypes.

Many men are responsible owners of indoor pet cats. Others are farmers and outdoorsmen who use cats for rodent control in rural areas.

Many women, on the other hand, do not appreciate cats.

Labelling men as "cat haters" is an emotional and biased statement that serves no good.

Nota Bene: "Not appreciating" is not the same as "hatred", and in no way implies any desire to harm or inflict cruelty.

I am a woman who traps and removes stray cat from her yard to the local animal shelter, and who will continue to do so. I appreciate what the animal shelter does -- and am such a frequent patron of it! -- that I am a dedicated lifetime supporting financial donor to the shelter. What they do is hard, and heartbreaking. And the need for animal shelters is caused entirely by irresponsible, careless -- and yes, cruel -- people.
Well said!!!!

Just one thing to add...........the OP is a male.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:56 AM

17 posts, read 19,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post
People without cats do not wish to clean catpoop or pee.
Actually, even people with cats hate have "other" cats mess their yards up. I had a house with a nice garden and landscaping which I worked on a lot. I kept finding poop burial sites time after time, and it annoyed me no end.

Also agree about stranger cats upsetting your own. Some "invaded" cats just hiss and snarl, but others get seriously anxious.

There is NOTHING you can do to keep outside cats from going exactly where they want. Believe me, I've tried.

I like to be able to let my own cats out in the back yard, but I only allow them out under my supervision. When I come in, they have to come in.

It is much safer for cats to be inside. Saves them from several contagious diseases as well as abscesses from bites/scratches you don't discover for a few days, at which point they'll cost you a couple hundred dollars. And that's even if they stay away from the street, which you can't guarantee they will. And out in the country, they may be safer from the road but there are animals that will eat them. Which I also learned to my grief.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:08 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,856,888 times
Quote:
I'm sitting here laughing my butt off at the image of a mean, vindictive, relentless cat that causes 3k in damage to patio furniture. In a neighborhood where the poster admits are raccoon, possums, etc. roaming around. yep it was the cat! 3K damage, to what? Your solid gold lame covered cushions? And a court that would actually hear such a case.

Humbug!

Yep, it was a cat and I have video to prove it which is why we won in court. It's not even hard to get such evidence with motion activated cameras. Camera in the front captures idiot neighbor letting "not his cat" out the front door at 7:43 AM. 7:56 AM, "not his cat" makes its way across the street and disappears between my house and the one next door. 7:59 AM, "not his cat" jumps our fence, enters our yard, enters the covered patio and begins it's use of our furniture as it's personal scratching post and bathroom. Couple dozen of those time stamped videos plus proof we discussed the issue with the neighbor (via video of us talking to him at his front door repeatedly and receipts from registered letters we sent) and idiot neighbor didn't have a leg to stand on. He was under the impression that since cats are allowed to roam, he was not responsible for whatever "not his cat" did when it was off his property. He was shocked to be told by the judge that cats, while legally allowed to be off leash are supposed to still be under control of their owner and not allowed to enter other people's property. When they do so, they are considered nuisance animals and subject to trapping or other humane remedies by the home owner. And the owner is responsible for any and all damages by the animal.

And yes, good quality outdoor furniture (just like good quality indoor furniture) is pricey even if you are unaware of that fact. Allowing your pet to destroy even a cheap plastic piece of crap from Walmart is not OK. It's not on me that the court had to waste it's time on the case. That's on the neighbor who couldn't be bothered to do the right thing. Since "not his cat" disappeared (pretty sure idiot neighbor either turned him in to Animal Control or took him on a ride to the country) after he had to write us a big fat check, it's a problem I won't have to deal with again.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 01-07-2016 at 06:27 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 06:23 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,856,888 times
Quote:
Yes I can imagine the plaintiff hauling her patio furniture into small claims court for the judge to smell so they can determine the extent of the pee damage.

Ahhhhh, no. No I cannot.

LOL. Didn't have to do that. It was clear in the videos that the cat was spraying the furniture. The angle of the camera plus the morning sun made for quite the stunning action shots of that evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.