Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:17 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,849,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
I guarantee you will never be sorry if you take the initiative to build your pet an outdoor enclosure. You can make it large with entrances to your house and if it is coyote proof your pet can go out at night. There is a large amount of information you can gain from the internet on how to build one or have one built. Start small and add on as you go it can be made to look quite attractive.

I wish ALL cat owners would take this excellent advice.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:05 AM

897 posts, read 1,256,395 times
Quote:
It isn't that hard to figure it out once you remove the prejudices you have been taught and use your own free thinking brain. Try it! Start fresh and add the numbers of birds there are in the US and the number they are saying are killed each year by cats and remember these numbers would be going back many many decades. Now does it make sense?
Because birds breed and procreate? No it does not make sense. Birds are not a finite resource. Their current number fluctuates. I mean really, it isn't rocket science.

I'll ask again, can you show me the math? Also please take into account the bird's migration patterns, procreation rates, and other dead causes rates. Show me some numbers, otherwise I will assume you just can't back up your statements.

Last edited by ayoitzrimz; 01-08-2016 at 10:16 AM..

Old 01-08-2016, 10:17 AM

897 posts, read 1,256,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
But, the threat of death to a loose cat is at least equal to that of a loose dog. Cars, other animals, crazy people, poison, disease. Do some think cats have magical powers that make them immune to these threats? That's what I don't get about the Cat Nazis. They claim to love cats and yet insist they be allowed to roam which puts them at greater risk for a shortened life and perhaps a painful death.

And they insist that cats killing songbirds is OK since it's their instincts that drive them to do so. True, but the same people who pooh pooh the impact to other species are incensed if a dog kills a cat even though it's just their instincts as well. Why the difference in attitude? Animal instinct is animal instinct.

I've read numerous posts on this board where cat people are losing their minds when a leashed dog poops in their yard even if the owner immediately picks it up. Same people are OK with their roaming cats taking a dump in someone's flower beds or a kid's sand box. No biggie if some kid gets ringworm apparently.

I appreciate that people love cats. Loving an animal is a good thing. But, loving an animal to the extent where you refuse to see that allowing a cat to roam can have a negative impact on the cat, the birds and your neighbors as well is just so much catpocrisy.

BTW - Not pointing at you. You seem like a logical and loving cat parent.
Can't rep you again, but quoted for truth!

Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,496,357 times
Quote:
This is mathematically impossible. If these numbers were right there would not be any birds left in this continent.
Perhaps then you should talk to the ornithologist of the Smithsonian's Conservation Biology Institute and the biologist at the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service who conducted the study and tell them it's all "mathematically impossible" and present the data from your study to refute their claims:

Cats kill up to 3.7B birds annually

""I was stunned," said ornithologist Peter Marra of the Smithsonian's Conservation Biology Institute. He and Smithsonian colleague Scott Loss, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service biologist Tom Will conducted the study."

BIRDS ETCETERA: How Many Birds Are There?

"All of these calculations suggest that there are far more individual birds out there than people realize. In round figures, it's probably safe to talk about minimum breeding populations on the order of 10 billion birds and minimum fall populations on the order of 20 billion birds, in North America north of Mexico."

Given the scientists estimated cats kill up to 3.7B a year, that's roughly up to 37% of the population of birds killed when 10 billion birds are here and roughly 19% of the population of birds killed when 20 billion birds are here.

Hardly "mathematically impossible".

People, keep your cats indoors for the sake of the birds and other animals they kill in huge numbers. For the consideration of others people around you and their property rights. And if the death of billions of birds and other animals needlessly and the rights of others mean nothing to you, do it at least for the safety of your own cat.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,250,138 times
Indoor verses outdoor cats:
Indoor vs Outdoor Cats | General Cat Articles

Birds are crucial to our ecosystem. They pollinate plants, disperse seeds and recycle nutrients back
into the earth and consume many insects (which without them would affect forestry, agriculture, crops
and would also increase the number of nasty pests).
Cats and Birds | American Bird Conservancy

Are Cats Bad for the Environment? | Mother Jones

My little buddy is not only safe but happy indoors.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:10 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,164,985 times
I had a neighbor who used to trap them and then drive 20 miles by beach and set them free. They seemed to like it.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,702,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
I had a neighbor who used to trap them and then drive 20 miles by beach and set them free. They seemed to like it.

They probably became those surfboarding cats that you see on the YouTube videos.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:57 PM

13,514 posts, read 9,071,179 times
It seems things are very different in the US, in the UK it is perfectly normal for people with pet cats to let them come & go as they please & most people have a cat flap so they can do this. No one in gerneral has a problem with cats being on their property (apart from the odd animal hater of course) & it is a very normal thing to see cats out & about doing there thing... Saying that I decided to keep my cat as a house cat eventually, not because he pi**ed off neighbours, but because we lived by a fairly busy road & a few cats had got hit by cars...

I really cannot understand the mentality of some of the replies to this thread, some of you obviusly have some issues & don't even get me started on the a**holes that trap peoples obvious pet cats or advocate killing them. Shocking too that they seem to love birds or dogs, but have so much hate for cats. I will have to stop there otherwise I will get myself infracted if I say what I really think about those "people"

Old 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM

10,384 posts, read 8,045,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
It seems things are very different in the US, in the UK it is perfectly normal for people with pet cats to let them come & go as they please...
Consider that Felis sylvestris (the wild ancestor of the domestic house cat) is a native European species. Your native wildlife co-evolved with small cats. North American small mammal and bird species did not. North America has no native small cat species; our smallest native cats are the bobcat and (in the southern part of North America) the ocelot, both of which are considerably larger than a domestic house cat and have different prey preferences. Yes, things are VERY different here in the US!

Last edited by Aredhel; 01-08-2016 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-08-2016, 04:16 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,562,465 times
We are losing interest in the question in the op and there are a few off topic sidebars going on so it is time to close this thread.

As for the off topic cat discussions, perhaps a search will show more threads about your off topic cat discussions

Thank you for the comments regarding the OP's question.
This one is closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.