Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2016, 11:17 AM

897 posts, read 1,257,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecat View Post
Windows kill more song birds than anything, nothing even comes close so if anyone declares they love birds I would think they have bird safe windows and I would think a bird lover would be pushing legislation to have new buildings built with bird safe windows instead of complaining about cats which don't come close to doing as much harm to birds as windows.
That's the same asinine argument as "cars kill more people than guns" or "alcohol is worse than pot" - it's just a diversion tactic. You don't want to keep your cats indoors don't but just know that YOU are the problem. I'll go further and say that my dogs go ballistic when a cat goes roaming in front of my house. It annoys me, it annoys the dogs, it annoys everyone but the cat. Why is your cat well being more important than my dog's well being? Or my own well being?

Like I said before, I absolutely love cats. If I ever had one, I would keep him indoor or build him a cool enclosure for the outdoors.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:21 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,061,214 times
Quote:
Cats do not kill the amount of wildlife most people think. There are claims that they kill 4 billion birds in the US every year when there are only 10 to 20 billion birds in the US total, eventually there would be no birds left in the US if this were true. In these studies claiming all the wildlife killed by cats the counts included bugs and worms as wildlife.
I agree with you on the numbers, but cats do take their toll on wildlife. I seriously doubt they'd drive any of our smaller creatures to extinction though.

Quote:
.....Unexpectedly, birds were not at the top of the menu—their diet mostly consisted of large insects and frogs.
The outdoor cats that have been around my place, pets people have cruelly "dumped", feed mostly on moles, field mice and believe it or not, lizards and small snakes. I only saw them with birds on rare occasions. Birds were not their favored prey. Try telling that to someone who hates cats.

Quote:
FROM NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC
Island's Feral Cats Kill Surprisingly Few Birds, Video Shows

Peter Wolf has a lot of information on the propaganda against cats:
Vox Felina – Feral/free-roaming cats and trap-neuter-return/TNR: critiquing the opposition

Old 01-06-2016, 11:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,061,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Jean McGee View Post
Untrue

indoor cats die sooner
Stats show they live almost 3 times as long. No disease. No accidents with cars. No fights. No predators or psychopaths killing them for fun.... the list is long.

Quote:
of boredom most likely
and lack of Vitamin D
This shows your total ignorance of the subject. Any cat fed a commercial diet does not suffer from lack of vitamin D.

Old 01-06-2016, 11:39 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,863,359 times
Quote:
Remember cats are animals too and you have NO right to harm them if they should wonder onto your yard.
FBI to start tracking animal cruelty in 2016

FBI to start tracking animal cruelty in 2016 | Tri-City Herald

You are absolutely correct and people should never harm any animal. But, if a cat is on my property, per the regulations in my locality, I am allowed to trap it and turn it over to Animal Control. We almost came to this with a cat owned by a neighbor. The cat destroyed our patio furniture with clawing and spraying on it. We repeatedly asked the neighbor to keep his cat either indoors or at least off our property. He refused to even admit it was his cat until we provided pictures of the cat entering his home and on our patio. We were on the verge of trapping the cat since but since we knew he was too lazy to drive to Animal Control to retrieve it, that would have been a death sentence for the poor cat. We sued him instead and he was on the hook for replacing 3K in furniture. Never saw that cat again. I suspect the owner "disappeared" him in some way.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,448,997 times
Quote:
Remember cats are animals too and you have NO right to harm them if they should wonder onto your yard.
FBI to start tracking animal cruelty in 2016

FBI to start tracking animal cruelty in 2016 | Tri-City Herald
The SSS system will negate the FBI.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You are absolutely correct and people should never harm any animal. But, if a cat is on my property, per the regulations in my locality, I am allowed to trap it and turn it over to Animal Control. We almost came to this with a cat owned by a neighbor. The cat destroyed our patio furniture with clawing and spraying on it. We repeatedly asked the neighbor to keep his cat either indoors or at least off our property. He refused to even admit it was his cat until we provided pictures of the cat entering his home and on our patio. We were on the verge of trapping the cat since but since we knew he was too lazy to drive to Animal Control to retrieve it, that would have been a death sentence for the poor cat. We sued him instead and he was on the hook for replacing 3K in furniture. Never saw that cat again. I suspect the owner "disappeared" him in some way.
Did you ever get the 3K????

I know a lot of these judgments are useless.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Stats show they live almost 3 times as long. No disease. No accidents with cars. No fights. No predators or psychopaths killing them for fun.... the list is long.

This shows your total ignorance of the subject. Any cat fed a commercial diet does not suffer from lack of vitamin D.
I could not rep you again.........I owe you one.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,863,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Did you ever get the 3K????

I know a lot of these judgments are useless.
Yes, we did and used it to replace the furniture "not his cat" ruined. People who constantly claim it's no big deal when their cats are on your property should have to go through the hassle we did. Between asking nicely, gathering evidence and taking the jerk to court, it took almost 2 years to get our furniture replaced. And in the end the cat disappeared anyway. We could have made that happen much sooner, but were hoping the neighbor would man up and take responsibility for his pet.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes, we did and used it to replace the furniture "not his cat" ruined. People who constantly claim it's no big deal when their cats are on your property should have to go through the hassle we did. Between asking nicely, gathering evidence and taking the jerk to court, it took almost 2 years to get our furniture replaced. And in the end the cat disappeared anyway. We could have made that happen much sooner, but were hoping the neighbor would man up and take responsibility for his pet.
Good deal.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:58 PM

18,760 posts, read 11,853,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetLittleWing View Post

Not terribly difficult, but admittedly annoying for a while. Lots of caterwauling until they give up. Out of converted cats, only had one as a kid that managed to continually break out. One was outdoors for 14 years and his owner warned us it might be easier to let him out. I throw a toy and he would go bonkers and it was enough to distract him until next time, one was about ten and had a wide range before my spouse got her. Not rocket science. *the one as a kid that did kept getting out, my non-verbal brother would see her howling at the door or window and open it. He simply didn't understand. Other then that no issues an intelligent adult can't handle, besides that temporary annoyance of the cat crying.

That's why I spent a lot of time cat proofing our yard so Amber couldn't get out. It was almost like having another dog. For awhile the neighbors cat used her cat box more then she did. In her younger years she was clever enough to escape once in awhile, but during her latter years she was content to hang out on the back deck. Her yard was part of her quality of life. She was not a hunter but I never had a rabbit problem in my garden for years. Within months of her not being with us the rabbits returned. Out door cats have advantages and disadvantages. I tried to marry the best of both worlds for her. Was it perfect? No, but she never killed birds or the mice darn it, nor did she bother the neighbors. The cat across the street used to dig up my neighbors newly planted flowers. He was not amused but he didn't make a big stink about it. Sometimes I still look for her in the yard when I come home. She will be gone two years next May and we still miss her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships