Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 06:49 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,424,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I don't get the whole I spend 8 hours a day with them so why anymore thing. That's pretty dumb. You could say the same thing about being married or havin kids. Thats just an excuse Itd be a happier work place if ppl did make friends with each other.
Dumb? Really? I chose to be married, I chose to have children and I chose to keep myself and them out of my professional life because I chose to go into work and perform the duties I was paid to do. Work was not and is never a place to find a *friend* or a *date*. Many humans tend to forget that they are at work to work, not socialize, find someone to have sex with or date.
Employees would be happier if they would keep their attention focused on their job instead of which movie they are going to with their friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
I don't get the whole I spend 8 hours a day with them so why anymore thing. That's pretty dumb. You could say the same thing about being married or havin kids. Thats just an excuse

Itd be a happier work place if ppl did make friends with each other.
Ridiculous comparison.

You choose to get married, you choose to have children. You don't get to choose who you work with.

Old 01-10-2016, 07:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,714,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Dumb? Really? I chose to be married, I chose to have children and I chose to keep myself and them out of my professional life because I chose to go into work and perform the duties I was paid to do. Work was not and is never a place to find a *friend* or a *date*. Many humans tend to forget that they are at work to work, not socialize, find someone to have sex with or date.
Employees would be happier if they would keep their attention focused on their job instead of which movie they are going to with their friends.
And I would add they're at work because they like to eat and have a roof over their head. More people should remember that.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:10 PM

221 posts, read 425,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Ridiculous comparison.

You choose to get married, you choose to have children. You don't get to choose who you work with.

I have to disagree somewhat with a portion of your statement. In many jobs you don't choose who you work with. However, in some companies you recruit business partners for your team. Therefore, in certain cases like that you do "choose who you work with".

Old 01-10-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

When you go to work you should focus on performing the duties of your job. However, there's nothing wrong with making friends at work and or finding the love of your life at work. As long as you perform your job duties and talk/make plans with those friends outside work hours. Not saying you have to make friends on the job, but there's nothing wrong with those who choose to do so as long as it doesn't impede you from performing the duties of your job.

Old 01-10-2016, 08:28 PM

393 posts, read 361,724 times
I am a bit against making friends with co-workers. I don't need the ppl I work with knowing
what I do in my off-time. It it is bad enough, then you will hear it on the news.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,428,699 times
Depends on the person. I've always worked in situations where maybe ten or twelve employees are the total work force, from management on down. A few of these folks have become lifelong friends even though distance and different paths have come into play. We get together when we can and are mindful to not bring up too many embarrassing "you remember the time" moments around mates/spouses who might take offense. Most others though fall into the acquaintance category, friends of the moment who fall off into nothing status when they (or you) move on down the line.

So I'd say no, not against making friends with those I work with but I've always seemed to have the ability to sort the leeches and drama masters from the pack rather quickly. And you'd be surprised how fast they stick to their own business when they sense that you just don't care to play along.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:53 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,671,577 times
Why would anyone be against making friends? Just like in any group I have co-workers I am friends with and co-workers that I am just friendly with. Some of the above posters sound so bitter and unhappy. I work with a great group of people.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzwell View Post
Depends on the person. I've always worked in situations where maybe ten or twelve employees are the total work force, from management on down. A few of these folks have become lifelong friends even though distance and different paths have come into play. We get together when we can and are mindful to not bring up too many embarrassing "you remember the time" moments around mates/spouses who might take offense. Most others though fall into the acquaintance category, friends of the moment who fall off into nothing status when they (or you) move on down the line.

So I'd say no, not against making friends with those I work with but I've always seemed to have the ability to sort the leeches and drama masters from the pack rather quickly. And you'd be surprised how fast they stick to their own business when they sense that you just don't care to play along.

can you elaborate on the part in bold?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:02 AM

45 posts, read 40,548 times
I only did on one job with a couple of women. Most jobs I didn't see any of them as friends, my last job after 12 year I retired and never spoke to any again, one is a facebook friend but we don't chat. She has young kids and lives the other end of the city I will never see her again. I have one friend from 1990 who got me a job in 1994 with her next company, I went to her third wedding. She is a facebook friend still and we chat on facebook. The rest were always in a different stage of life than me, different part of town and fine at work but nothing personal. The one job I made two friends was a company with only 5 people so we three employees were pretty close. I helped one move, went drinking with one and they came to my housewarming. We ate lunch together every day for years. But after the job ended we don't see each other. One moved away and I talked to her when I worked for another company she called and we sent cards a few times. I chatted online with her husband once. she retired and was volunteering but she never called me back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships