Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 03:48 PM

266 posts, read 282,349 times

Advertisements

I just celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary with a co-worker I made friends with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 04:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,694,409 times
I think it depends on the type of job you have and the particular co-workers.

For example, if you're in a rock band there's a good chance you're going to be hanging out with co-workers. But if you work in a big, impersonal office, maybe not.

I've worked places where my co-workers were actually sort of on my wavelength. I'd hang around with some of them on occasion during non-working hours. But I've also worked places where I had absolutely nothing in common with anyone there. I might as well have been working on another planet with aliens.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:43 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,229,973 times
We have a few core workers at my job who have been here for years. We are friendly and get along fine at work. Other than work we really do not have anything in common so do not see each other outside of work. The others come and go so fast it is hard to keep track of their names.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,813,164 times
I'm not against making friends with my coworkers. In fact, some of my best friends today are people that I met at work. I never go into a workplace expecting to make friends and I certainly don't treat it like a social hour. However, it's quite nice to work with people that I enjoy being around.

I WILL agree with those who have said to choose wisely and tread carefully. There are some people who are great outside of work, but become completely unbearable once you step into the office.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,195,540 times
To me it totally depends on the work environment and situation.

I've got friends I've had for decades, that I met at work originally (though we've all gone our separate ways) and I've also worked in offices where relationships remained purely professional.

For me, it's important to be on professionally friendly terms with my coworkers if at all possible (and that's usually possible). I enjoy grabbing lunch with a coworker from time to time. If a deeper friendship comes from that, I'm OK but I don't push it and I tend to be cautious about it.

Old 01-12-2016, 04:13 PM

483 posts, read 693,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I made one friend during my working years; turns out she was bi-polar and caused me a lot of anguish after I left that job. Another co-worker attempted to make me her friend and I supported her during her bout with cancer. When my cancer was diagnosed, she disappeared.
That's my problem and issue too. Not to say that non work related friends can't disappoint you also, but I have literally gone years being friends with coworkers, only to find that 8-10 years after we left the job they outed themselves as flakes and weirdoes. Other coworkers I spent time talking to, and I can't remember their names now. Perfectly pleasant way to spend the day at the time, but I could've been using my brain cells for other issues in lieu of the chitchat.

Old 01-14-2016, 03:06 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,318,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
It seems some people either are against making friends with the people they work with or they just never saw it as an option.

Why is that?
Some of my best friendships were formed at work. I think it just depends on each situation.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,954,571 times
On the contrary. I try to make as many friends as I can at work. It makes things go sooooo much smoother. Plus, most movements up the ladder in this industry are a result of connections and networking. Having people put in an internal letter of recommendation can make a world of difference in one's career path in this industry. Nearly all of my best friends throughout my life have been those I've met at work.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 AM

570 posts, read 723,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Some of my best friendships were formed at work. I think it just depends on each situation.
Pretty much this. A co-worker turned into one of my closest friends over the last year and a half. I usually try to keep co-workers as strong acquaintances most of the time, but things happen.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:04 PM

231 posts, read 202,646 times
I don't mind making friends with the people I work with.

But in some work environments, the work is so stressful that people don't think about making friends with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships