Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 09:06 PM

221 posts, read 425,875 times

Advertisements

It seems some people either are against making friends with the people they work with or they just never saw it as an option.

Why is that?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-10-2016 at 07:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 09:42 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,185,443 times
I've never made friends with co-workers, and never will. Many of the people I work with are opportunistic, two-faced back-stabbers. I also want to separate my personal life from my work life.

If you make friends with co-workers, you'll regret it - believe me!!!!!! It could end up costing you your reputation at work, or worse.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,258,765 times
I'm not against it but it is a good idea to tread lightly.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:45 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,409,611 times
You can be friendly without being friends. I never mixed my business life with my personal life as I saw no logical reason to do so.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,608,706 times
I've always found that friendship with co-workers is pretty much forced upon a person. Wherever I worked, everyone always wanted to have group get-togethers at work and outside of work. I never wanted to, as I wanted to keep my work life separate from my personal life. I always resented the forcing of group get-togethers on co-workers, both at work and outside of work. I think people can be cordial, courteous, and respectful at work, but need not take it any further. But it's obvious the world of work does not concur.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:41 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,185,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I've always found that friendship with co-workers is pretty much forced upon a person. Wherever I worked, everyone always wanted to have group get-togethers at work and outside of work. I never wanted to, as I wanted to keep my work life separate from my personal life. I always resented the forcing of group get-togethers on co-workers, both at work and outside of work. I think people can be cordial, courteous, and respectful at work, but need not take it any further. But it's obvious the world of work does not concur.
Yes! I hate forced socialization at work. This happens the most during the holidays. What bull$#!%.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 AM

269 posts, read 372,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Yes! I hate forced socialization at work. This happens the most during the holidays. What bull$#!%.
I feel the exact same way - particularly at my current workplace. So I just don't attend social events there anymore. Everyone is so scared to not attend in case they look like they don't fit in. I have no problem with looking like that at all

I do however have two (pretty good) friends I've made in previous workplaces. I have been working over 20 years though, so not surprising that I've met two people in that time that I liked and clicked with.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:18 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,944,845 times
At my job the staff is a revolving door so you won't really make friends, (I have worked the same job for 20 years and nobody has been there as long as me) not that I'd want to as co-workers can be quite toxic.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:29 AM

844 posts, read 1,067,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I've never made friends with co-workers, and never will. Many of the people I work with are opportunistic, two-faced back-stabbers. I also want to separate my personal life from my work life.

If you make friends with co-workers, you'll regret it - believe me!!!!!! It could end up costing you your reputation at work, or worse.
In what kind of place do you work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I'm not against it but it is a good idea to tread lightly.
Cannot agree more
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You can be friendly without being friends. I never mixed my business life with my personal life as I saw no logical reason to do so.
Best comment so far

Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,234,248 times
My guess from the responses here is that a major reason some people don't make friends with co-workers stares back at them from the mirror every morning. When people have the attitude that they're better than everybody else or that everybody else is out to "get them", you're not going to be making many friends anywhere, in or out of the workplace. There seems to be plenty of that attitude expressed in this thread.

Most friends, whether you make them at work or somewhere else are probably not be particularly close, BFF type friends, but that doesn't mean you can't go out to lunch and/or socialize occasionally -- or say "hi" if you run into somebody at the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships