Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:57 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,422,257 times

Advertisements

In a working relationship its not in my best interests from a professional point of view to form any relationships with co-workers..
I see nothing wrong with an occasional lunch, being friendly and outgoing to co-workers..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,108 times
I don't get the whole I spend 8 hours a day with them so why anymore thing. That's pretty dumb. You could say the same thing about being married or havin kids. Thats just an excuse

Itd be a happier work place if ppl did make friends with each other.

Old 01-09-2016, 05:19 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
I have made some very dear friends in the workplace, who have continued to be close long after we moved on to other places. However, I do not socialize with coworkers in the general sense..no happy hours, etc. for the sake of it. My friendships with coworkers outside the office are more one-on-one and very particular to the individual.
Exactly this. Like anywhere else, people in your workplace can be real jerks ... or great people ... or people you become good friends with. If you move around the country for your work, oftentimes, the only people you have to socialize with at first are your co-workers ... and sometimes those co-workers become friends.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:07 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,388,956 times
yes

Old 01-09-2016, 06:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
I have some friends where I worked for well over 20 years. There have been a few issues with it, and it IS different being friends with co-workers because you see and experience different things than you would with friends outside of the job.

What I absolutely refuse to do is be friends with the boss. This is my boundary - I don't even want to have an occasional lunch with my supervisor. I've seen a lot of misery hit people who became buddies with supervisors, especially ones that are not well-liked.

Almost 3 years ago I ended up in a different department. I don't like the job itself and do not like the environment, and so I am not interested in making close friends there. I am friends with one co-worker but it isn't the same as where I was before.

My thought is this: We spend more time around co-workers than we do our families. I'm not interested in seeing them outside of work, too, so I don't join carefree Happy Hours and group outings - ever. But I've made a few darn good friends because of the job and I'll occasionally join them after work. I still keep in touch a few that have retired.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:45 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
When I was working outside of the home, I was friendly, but avoided friendships. I avoided baby showers, wedding showers and girls nights out.

Reason? I liked my job, and some people can be catty. If there is a problem with another person, you still have to see them every day - and that's awkward.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,279 times
Some of my best friends are people I used to work with years ago.
However, I don't pal around with anyone at my current job.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:53 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
I have close friends that I worked with decades ago. We became friends on the job, stayed friends when some of us moved into management, and remain friends today. And it isn't just one or 2, it's more like 10. I don't think I would enjoy working unless I enjoyed the people I worked with.

Old 01-09-2016, 06:56 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycat40 View Post
It seems some people either are against making friends with the people they work with or they just never saw it as an option.

Why is that?

Please elaborate!!!
Most people I've worked with don't have much in common with me. I did become friends with a woman in the office of the first job I ever had, and we're still friends. Just because you share an office with people doesn't mean your personalities will get along enough to be friends, or that they have any common interests with you: hobbies and such.

Old 01-09-2016, 09:27 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,627,689 times
when I was 21, I met another worker who was my age, we were both gay, and we work friends, he left the job, we exchanged numbers and became best friends for many, many, years.
He is now an angel, but still my BFF........in my heart.

Now the receptionist to my company lives not to far away and me and my partner have gone over to her house for dinner a few times and were friends. We don't call each other, or anything like that, but once and a while if she is making something good, she will say "come over"......were both the same nationality, so that's a little bond we have. Her son also works with us as well, as her BFF's daughter as well, so we all know each other.

another poster did state however he likes the other workers to talk to, but once the day is over, it is time to go.
I agree with that also, we have great guys and women that I work with, but other than work, we really have nothing in common.

but to answer the question: No, I'm not against making friends at work.

PS: I still get and send Christmas cards to another one of my co workers from 1982........I know we will never see each other again, but the cards are fine...its nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships