Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:18 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,690,323 times

Advertisements

Not downright against it but good to be cautious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 12:22 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,349,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My guess from the responses here is that a major reason some people don't make friends with co-workers stares back at them from the mirror every morning. When people have the attitude that they're better than everybody else or that everybody else is out to "get them", you're not going to be making many friends anywhere, in or out of the workplace. There seems to be plenty of that attitude expressed in this thread.

Most friends, whether you make them at work or somewhere else are probably not be particularly close, BFF type friends, but that doesn't mean you can't go out to lunch and/or socialize occasionally -- or say "hi" if you run into somebody at the grocery store.
Your *guess* is more like a very wrong assumption. I spent 8+ hours with people I worked with and never felt the need to spend any more time with them than that. I have also never been insecure enough with myself or my employment performance to believe that I am better than anyone. The employees that I supervised were never asked nor expected to do anything I would not do myself.
As far as going to lunch, socializing, or seeing someone at the grocery, I took my lunch to work, never felt the need to include or be included in my private life or the private life of a coworker and I always said hello and chatted if I happened to run into someone outside of work.
Perhaps you should look in the mirror and ask yourself why you do not understand the concept of separating business life from person al life and why you are so judgmental.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:55 PM

156 posts, read 318,544 times
I always have a definite of "friendship" by: friend is someone understand you, help you regardless, and you are always there for that friend as well.

"coworker": you go there, see them and socialize if it's possible. They will back stab you whenever they could, don't ever try to be friend with your coworkers, I learn my lesson so well through current company. I have a coworker, she is willing to tell me the truth right in front of my face in a nice way. She's the only one I think is nice in my company. But again, she's not my friend, she's my coworker. I can never trust anyone at work. If you are better than them, they will try to make you to their level. They gossip so much that other gossip folks will fall for and you are the victim because you are better than them ...

Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,834,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Most of the best friends I've made post college were people I worked with over the years!
Me, too. I have two ladies I'm still friends with after 20 years and the company is now defunct. Nevertheless, we still meet up for "Board Meetings" (happy hour) whenever we get the chance.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:38 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,671,728 times
I go in to any job purposely avoiding any social interaction, but I have made friends despite that. I avoid parties, dopey potlucks etc, but still, I have met a few people I hang around with after hours. That would be the exception, not the rule.
Not a big fan of social stuff in the workplace.

Old 01-09-2016, 01:55 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,535,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Yes! I hate forced socialization at work. This happens the most during the holidays. What bull$#!%.
F#@*k it Dude, let's go bowling!

Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,472,573 times
I am not against making friends, however I keep it at good acquaintances and not close friendships.

I'm not one to care to mix business and pleasure or jeprodize my home life for the others others who are forced in to my view point on a daily basis.

I am also in a position where forming a personal bias towards others would affect my businesses bottom line and overall work place ethics.

Something most come and go employees don't have to deal with.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:14 PM

2,627 posts, read 3,160,553 times
I have worked at a lot of places. Office worker, construction worker, restaurant jobs, etc. I made friends at some places and kept it business at others. All depends on the people I was around. Most were OK. Some were kind of sick places to work and brought out the worst in people, making them hard to trust.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:21 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,108,522 times
Lots of trust issues here.

Curious. Did you put the word "work" in quotation marks because you're talking about someone that you don't actually work with?

I hasten to add that in my previous job I made several good friends. It's just that my current job is different. The people are different. I don't connect with them mentally or emotionally. But I'm friendly and polite, of course.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,490,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I have worked at a lot of places. Office worker, construction worker, restaurant jobs, etc. I made friends at some places and kept it business at others. All depends on the people I was around. Most were OK. Some were kind of sick places to work and brought out the worst in people, making them hard to trust.
I think this is an important point - I think in large part it depends on what type of work you're doing and where.

If you're in some very specific profession (like being a teacher, doctor, lawyer, police officer, etc.), and you're working with a bunch of people in the same profession, then it's likely that your career is a bigger part of who you are and you'll probably have a lot in common with others at work. If your work involves a lot of manual labor or safety risks, there's a certain camaraderie that develops. If you're all young and working PT at a restaurant or bar, it may also just feel natural.

But, if everyone at work is doing different things and has different backgrounds, education, etc. and your job is pretty much just a 9-5 thing, of course you'd be less likely to want to make friends at work or feel any connection to co-workers.

At any rate, be careful. Everyone at work isn't a backstabber (to those saying that - I doubt it's the co-workers who are ALL the problem) but you need to use more discretion on who you trust and what you say regardless of what field you're in. On the flip side, while there's no actual need to become close to co-workers, having a blanket policy against it seems silly as long as you use discretion. Also, not attending work-related social functions may be ill-advised. Even if you don't want to go, you really do need to in some cases. You can get through it and going doesn't make you all BFFs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships