Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 04:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,102,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Seriously? Your best friend should feel badly for scheduling her wedding on your birthday?
This is the world we live in today in the US. All about ourselves. Geez. This is the only answer there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 05:01 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumPockets View Post
I agree, and I should have written the OP better But I can't change it now. I didn't want all this.
Ok, I get it. Sorry that I took your OP at face value. I understand what you meant to say. Even so, NO, don't bring it up. If you are excited for your friend going forward, all will be forgiven, if indeed there were any hurt feelings initially. I doubt there were though.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,144,451 times
Shootz, if it were me, I'da said so right away. Kinda like she was giving you a gift and you'll be able to celebrate your birthday and her/their anniversary together sometimes if you all want to. Why would it matter one way or another?

This whole wedding thing has gotten way out of hand, IMHO. People angst much too much about way too many details to have any fun with it at all anymore. Getting married isn't supposed to be a huge angst ridden chore.

Old 02-09-2016, 07:53 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,524,857 times
I understand you didn't intend the post as written. I agree that there would be absolutely no purpose to saying anything now. Unless it was obvious that your bff reacted to your slight hesitation (which probably wasn't as long as you think it was), then it's a moot point. I agree with pp who said it would be awkward to even try to bring it up in an organic way.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,308,190 times
Quote:
Yes.
She didn't say, "What's wrong?" during the pause. She would have if it was important. Relax. You're good to go.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:25 PM

6,903 posts, read 11,293,718 times
Smile See below

Quote:
So, my best friend from college (who happens to be the opposite gender, and was almost a romantic interest, but that's another thing and also very over) is getting married soon, and I'm very excited for her. The weird issue is that she's scheduled the date on my birthday. Now, we're close enough friends that she didn't do it on purpose, but the date is set and I'll likely be part of the ceremony in some way. And it isn't an issue for me, because "it's just a day", but when she told me about it, I involuntarily hesitated. Which probably came off weird. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want it to be a big deal, especially since the date has already been set.

I'm just curious what your opinions on the situation are. Should I bring it up casually (knowing that she'd feel really bad about it) or just let it slide?
Think of it as an honor......life is way too short.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:06 PM

205 posts, read 574,888 times
A birthday is just another day. I watch people at work take days off for their birthday? I look at the situation from a confused standpoint, I mean if you were traveling and going a vacation for your bday, cool! Those that just take it off to sit at home I don't understand it.

Lets say you have 75 birthdays in your life (give or take). Most people only plan on (and want) one wedding in their life.

You are trumped tenfold on this one! Enjoy your friends wedding on your birthday as the ultimate birthday present! And you even get cake!

Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,697,959 times
Quote:
I'm just curious what your opinions on the situation are. Should I bring it up casually (knowing that she'd feel really bad about it) or just let it slide?
Don't go there. Just . . . don't.

I guarantee you, she was not thinking about your birthday when she was scheduling her WEDDING. She may have noted that, "Oh, hey, that's TrumPocket's birthday, too!" in the back of her mind, but if that's the only day she could coordinate the a) officiant, b) venue, c) caterer, d) family's other commitments, d) her own schedule and e) the groom's schedule, I guarantee you that your birthday was at the bottom of the page as far as considerations . . . and that's assuming that it made the list at all.

God willing, you will have many, many more birthdays in your future. Some of them will be scintillating celebrations. Some of them will pass quietly. And for some of them, you might even forget it because of a life crisis or event in your life.

With any luck at all, she will only have ONE wedding.

And I think it's very odd that you'd even CONSIDER bringing it up, knowing that she'd feel bad about t. Why would you want to do that, why would you want to put any cloud on her joy and excitement? That's just mean.

Suck it up, buttercup, and be there for your friend. Pretend the wedding cake is a birthday cake, and enjoy. :-) My birthday was the day before my brother's wedding. As far as I was concerned, it was a non-event, because I was excited about my brother's wedding. I was very, very touched when, at the rehearsal dinner, my brother and my soon-to-be sister-in-law had a cake brought out and everyone sang happy birthday to me.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,427,370 times
Quote:
So, my best friend from college (who happens to be the opposite gender, and was almost a romantic interest, but that's another thing and also very over) is getting married soon, and I'm very excited for her. The weird issue is that she's scheduled the date on my birthday. Now, we're close enough friends that she didn't do it on purpose, but the date is set and I'll likely be part of the ceremony in some way. And it isn't an issue for me, because "it's just a day", but when she told me about it, I involuntarily hesitated. Which probably came off weird. But I didn't say anything because I didn't want it to be a big deal, especially since the date has already been set.

To me my birthdays are just another day.
Besides I'd be in for the party, food, dancing, drinking and maybe meeting a nice girl there.
I wouldn't mention the coincidence.

Old 02-10-2016, 05:07 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,033,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Shootz, if it were me, I'da said so right away. Kinda like she was giving you a gift and you'll be able to celebrate your birthday and her/their anniversary together sometimes if you all want to. Why would it matter one way or another?

This whole wedding thing has gotten way out of hand, IMHO. People angst much too much about way too many details to have any fun with it at all anymore. Getting married isn't supposed to be a huge angst ridden chore.
Agreed. My coworker, a 34 year old first time altar girl, is agonizingly slogging through her wedding preparations for her wedding another nine months away. We all have to deal with the pain of that Wedding preparations shouldn't make the bride/groom miserable; they should make them happy, but too often they don't. When I remarried last June, I had already learned many lessons from my previous mistakes, so I concentrate on my marriage, not the wedding. The wedding was a simple modestly priced out of town affair and it only took a few weeks to plan. If my coworker ever marries again, she will learn from the stress of this practice run, I'm sure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships