Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,120,055 times

Advertisements

OP, since your question is actually about whether you should address your brief hesitation when she told you the date (and not what so many others are implying), I agree with the one poster who said that it's actually very possible that she didn't even notice your pause. If she didn't bring it up and/or if you didn't notice anything in her body language that indicated that she was affected by your pause then I don't think she even noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 AM

221 posts, read 203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
A birthday is just another day. I watch people at work take days off for their birthday? I look at the situation from a confused standpoint, I mean if you were traveling and going a vacation for your bday, cool! Those that just take it off to sit at home I don't understand it.
I sometimes take my birthday off, if my workload allows it. I usually don't spend it sitting at home though. Sometimes I'll make an appointment at a day spa ... if the weather is nice, I might enjoy a day at the park ... it might even be something as simple as enjoying a quiet day at the library. A day of relaxation is my gift to myself. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:52 AM

8,297 posts, read 8,709,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The OP is not worried about it being on his birthday, he is worried that the friend may have taken the pause wrong!
No he said she didn't do it on purpose as if anyone would care if their wedding date fell on any persons birthday. He also used the word "weird".

Old 02-10-2016, 07:54 AM

11,407 posts, read 9,330,716 times
"Ah, on my birthday. Cool."

Then drop it...

Too late now but that is what I would have done. It's a non issue at this time. I highly doubt she has a problem with any hesitation on your part. That would be so petty.

Last edited by John13; 02-10-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This exactly.

I still think the OP needs to begin enacting a birth month approach. Why settle for one day when you can have 30 days of fun? If you have a birth month, unusual or weird things that happen on the exact birth day don't mean much, if anything, to you - heck, you won't even pause awkwardly!

I think that is even stranger than making a big deal out of a certain day. It is only a birthday. After 21 and before 80 they don't mean much to most people.

Old 02-10-2016, 07:59 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,357,595 times
I'm thinking it's really a surprise birthday party for YOU, cloaked, and made to look like a wedding!!!!!!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
I sometimes take my birthday off, if my workload allows it. I usually don't spend it sitting at home though. Sometimes I'll make an appointment at a day spa ... if the weather is nice, I might enjoy a day at the park ... it might even be something as simple as enjoying a quiet day at the library. A day of relaxation is my gift to myself. Nothing wrong with that.
Those are things you can do any day of the year. I would do them when I wanted to and not wait for a certain day.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 AM

16,581 posts, read 10,733,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This exactly.

I still think the OP needs to begin enacting a birth month approach. Why settle for one day when you can have 30 days of fun? If you have a birth month, unusual or weird things that happen on the exact birth day don't mean much, if anything, to you - heck, you won't even pause awkwardly!

I really sincerely do hope that you do this just in harmless fun. There was a woman who used to work in another department at my office, and she made a HUGE deal about her birth month -- ALL. MONTH. LONG. She came across to me as horrifically self-absorbed and extremely high maintenance. I didn't wish her a happy birthday. In fact, I avoided her entire department for that entire month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumPockets View Post
I agree, and I should have written the OP better But I can't change it now. I didn't want all this.
Yeah, sometimes the words just don't quite come out right. I wouldn't worry about it. I highly doubt that your friend noticed anything amiss, so bringing it up now would serve no purpose but to make her uncomfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Pretend the wedding cake is a birthday cake, and enjoy. :-) My birthday was the day before my brother's wedding. As far as I was concerned, it was a non-event, because I was excited about my brother's wedding. I was very, very touched when, at the rehearsal dinner, my brother and my soon-to-be sister-in-law had a cake brought out and everyone sang happy birthday to me.
The exact same thing happened to me, except it was a good friend getting married instead of my brother. I was in the wedding party, and the rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding was on my birthday. I said nothing to her about it at all, at any time, and happily went to the dinner. I was taken totally by surprise, and greatly touched, when she rolled out a cake for me and sang happy birthday.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:26 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,792,349 times
I haven't had a birthday in years. I prefer to be preoccupied so I can forget about another year closer to death, lol.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:06 AM

221 posts, read 203,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Those are things you can do any day of the year. I would do them when I wanted to and not wait for a certain day.
Sure. I can do them any day of the year. That includes my birthday. I'd much rather be relaxing on my birthday than slogging away at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships