Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:57 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,614,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have one of these to drown out my neighbors:

http://www.amazon.com/Patton-14-inch.../dp/B004WT6ZEK

They're pricey, but they don't rattle and my last one lasted over 10 years before it died. I have it running right now. You can turn it so it faces the ceiling, and circulates the cool air from the floor in summer to keep the room cooler, too. I has a nice low hum, and really drowns out the noise.

I don't think there's anything you can do. If you tell her you can hear her coughing, it won't stop her need to cough.
Or you could go to Walmart, Lowe's or anywhere like that and get a box fan for under $20 that will help drown out the noises.

I also had a rough time with roommates. But in my case I was downstairs under a very vocal nymphomaniac with a squeaky bed who attended parties at the fraternity house next door and brought the guys home. She asked me if I could hear anything at night and giggled when I said yes.

Old 06-13-2018, 05:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,641,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Noise cancelling earphones
Ear plugs
move
Ear plugs are one of the best things I ever bought in my life. ! They dull the sounds I hate enough to sleep through them, but are not so restrictive I can't hear my alarm and such. They do tend to fall out while I sleep. Sometimes the mower/blowers or the screaming neighbor kids wake me up long enough to put them back in.

I got a soft eye mask too, and I love getting my 'dark and quiet' on. (Caution: these items can have the side effect of making naps even more attractive than they were before).

https://www.amazon.com/PLUGS-MOLDEX-...00VTID4KK?th=1

https://www.amazon.com/FOREVER-Black...panda+eye+mask

Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 PM

102,308 posts, read 108,445,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Or you could go to Walmart, Lowe's or anywhere like that and get a box fan for under $20 that will help drown out the noises.

I also had a rough time with roommates. But in my case I was downstairs under a very vocal nymphomaniac with a squeaky bed who attended parties at the fraternity house next door and brought the guys home. She asked me if I could hear anything at night and giggled when I said yes.
Wow, I've never heard that word come up in conversation, ever! Isn't it archaic, at this point? I thought it faded out of usage sometime in the 70's. Along with "spinster".

Old 06-15-2018, 01:06 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,718,581 times
I sympathize with the OP, and with all who posted that they are noise-sensitive.
There is a man in my apartment building who smokes cigarette after cig. standing across the street from me, and he has some condition which causes him to hawk up stuff- meaning LOUD coughing, like choking, producing tissue, sputum, blood.
He is a veteran and I think this is the result of something that happened to him while deployed in the armed service.
So I try to remind myself of this, and try to be sympathetic but it is disgusting.

ultimately if he does it while my window is open, I close it, and put on the fan, and then I don't hear it.
I can't complain about it bec. he is on the public sidewalk.
I am surprised that people across the street who are closer to him than I am, don't complain, but not my business.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:29 PM

5,347 posts, read 8,578,951 times
I have found Mack's silicon earplugs the most comfortable option for sleeping. They are a medium-soft putty made out of silicon. They seal perfectly because they mold to your ear. They are also designed to be used when swimming. If you have smaller ears, you can cut one in half and use each half in one ear, which makes them even cheaper.

I have a neighbor who smokes and she is pretty young- probably early 30's at the oldest- and she coughs a lot when she is outside. Thankfully she lives far enough away that I can't hear her at night.

Old 04-05-2020, 01:20 PM

9,488 posts, read 11,251,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
I was flying from USA to Europe, 10 hours or so flight. I do have long legs, so I need to move them around a lot on such a long flight. A lady beside me was severely frustrated each time I would move my feet 0.5" across the imaginary line between "her" and "mine" leg space under the seats in front of me. She pushed my foot (clean socks, boots off) with her boot, gave me a hundred of "what a shame" looks, scoffed, sighted, etc. I swear I didn't go across the "border" for more than 1/2 inch.
I didn't like such greed, so I got an earphone - they give them out on every flight - tore one earbud off, chose rap in the menu, added volume, and turned the remaining earbud towards this lady. And moved my foot from "her side" permanently. She was pretty quiet for the rest of the flight.
So OP, turn on the radio, put a metal pot over it, cover it with rags, and go outside for a couple of hours or go to work. When she (or a manager) asks you what's going on, tell them that you are afraid of bacteria your neighbor spreads and you know that the newest research shows that a loud music kills bacteria more effectively than antibiotics. And see what happens.
Ha! I was just going to suggest loud rock n roll, but loud rap while OP is protected by earbuds or earphones could prove to be an even more effective "noise-cancelling" device.

Lotsa luck, OP.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
The OP is from 2016, folks.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:30 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,241,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The OP is from 2016, folks.
LOL! I guess being on lockdown and isolated makes this still an interesting thread...

I hated living in apartments for just such noise reasons. My solutions include ALL of the below:
Box fan on the floor
Ocean waves tape all night long
Move to the other side of the apartment so sleeping farther away from the noise.

Old 04-06-2020, 09:13 PM

2,450 posts, read 2,614,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbearman View Post
Hey Marylee II , apparently you don’t live near an annoying hacker who hacks up sputum on his next door terrace 24/7. It’s disgusting. Yeah we all need our beauty sleep...I’m sure you wouldn’t be so sarcastic if you had some annoying jerk who lived next door to you doing this loud gross disgusting behavior 24/7 would you?
Here's to hoping your neighbor doesn't have COVID-19?

Old 04-07-2020, 03:09 PM

153 posts, read 85,471 times
I cannot believe people just glossed over the threat of dialing 911 on this woman. What a gross waste of emergency services when this woman clearly has a chronic condition. You know that abuse of the 911 system is a crime, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships