Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 06:29 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,234,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I know two people from my high school who would have told you at age 17 what they wanted to be was a priest. Not everyone is as close-minded as you.

One of my aunts is a nun, one of my cousins is a priest, and my mom's cousin is a priest. I went to Catholic school for 13 years. I met so many wonderful people in religious life and I'm thankful that such people still exist.
^^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Would you call Catechism Sunday school?
Exactly what's wrong with this poster's story from the get-go. Catholics do NOT have "Sunday school" even if kids go for religious ed on Sundays. It's just never called that. Also attendance at Sunday Mass is mandatory for all Catholics who have made their First Penance.

A Protestant high school senior who "wants to be a nun" but hasn't taken any steps to convert to Catholicism yet goes around professing "devotion to Mary" and wearing her religion on her sleeve either is the OP's latest internet alter ego or a troubled individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:03 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,731,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
^^^

Exactly what's wrong with this poster's story from the get-go. Catholics do NOT have "Sunday school" even if kids go for religious ed on Sundays. It's just never called that. Also attendance at Sunday Mass is mandatory for all Catholics who have made their First Penance.

A Protestant high school senior who "wants to be a nun" but hasn't taken any steps to convert to Catholicism yet goes around professing "devotion to Mary" and wearing her religion on her sleeve either is the OP's latest internet alter ego or a troubled individual.
Exactly!
I attended Catholic school for 12 years so I know the religion very well.

There are no protestant nuns. If the OP is protestant and claiming to want to be a nun...she's insane.
One doesn't go to "sunday school" either lol. That's a dead give away...
You go to CCD and it's usually not on a sunday anyway.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM

11,077 posts, read 12,531,488 times
Don't know what you people are talking about. A lot of people say "Sunday school" who are any kind of Christian, including Catholics. I feel you guys might be more my parents age (I'm 26). I never once have heard my non-Catholic school friends talk about going to "Catechism." They all said Sunday school or PSR. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and like I said went to Catholic school for years and years.

I don't know OP at all, but dismissing her because she said "Sunday school" is ludicrous.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,895,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
Ever since I was young I have dreamed of being nun or serving the lord in a positive way. I work hard in school( I am currently a senior in high school) and attend sunday school/dutifully every week. I also volunteer for my church to help with various of volunteer projects often. Anyways I wanted to mention all above so you can get the sense of how devoted I am to my faith.

However I guess the problem is that everyone seems to look down upon me because of faith. Now before you think I am being a drama queen let me recount some incidents that have happened to me a lot every time I am asked about my faith:

1. My biology teacher asked my classmates and I what we wanted to do when we get older, I mentioned the possibility of being a nun. My biology teacher gave me a weird look and then snickered. He then preceded to say," Well you always did strike me as being a bit of a prude Nancy," which of course caused the whole class in burst into laughter.

2. This one girl in my English class has this annoying habit of referring to me as "Sister Nancy," I have repeatedly told her to stop do that but she ignored me. She does it on purpose and in a very condescending way.

3. One boy, who knew how I much I love The Virgin Mary, thought it would funny to photoshop the The Virgin Mary's head onto the body of Nicki Manaji in a provocative pose and post it on my locker. I wasn't amuse but apparently every other person in my grade thought it was funny. This boy also wrote Mary is a wh*re on the paper, which I guess was in an attempt to anger me.

4. My English teacher forced me to attend a counseling session at school because she worried about how "obsessive" I was about religion since most of papers I tried to relate to religion. I tried telling her I was not obsessed but religion is the thing I know best compared to other subjects which is why I naturally try to relate it to my papers. She still thinks I am crazy .

5. Another guy who is an atheist(I have nothing against them) straight up told me I was delusional nut because I still believed in God. He also went on say that deep down I was probably a sl*t of will become one in the future(for some reason he doesn't believe that I am a virgin?!). I was honestly so shocked by how nasty he was to me I didn't know how to respond. This another classmate of mine.

I have tons of stories similar to these. People honestly seem to hate me because of my devotion to my religion. I have been picked on since the ninth grade and I am getting tired of it. When did people start to openly hate those who chose to devote their lives to God? Wasn't that once an honorable position? Please help me, I don't think I can take this anymore.
Have you heard the old saying " A picture is worth a thousand words"? It isn't always necessary to verbalize your faith. Living your life and setting a GOOD example for others is a better way of demonstrating your devotion. Many of your tormentors may be converted by your example when they have time to think and reflect on your behavior. Keep the faith.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:45 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,731,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Don't know what you people are talking about. A lot of people say "Sunday school" who are any kind of Christian, including Catholics. I feel you guys might be more my parents age (I'm 26). I never once have heard my non-Catholic school friends talk about going to "Catechism." They all said Sunday school or PSR. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and like I said went to Catholic school for years and years.

I don't know OP at all, but dismissing her because she said "Sunday school" is ludicrous.
well duh, because non-Catholics dont read "Catechism"..... so of course your non-Catholic friends wouldn' say that. . .

and idk dude, im 28 and attended Catholic school for 12 years. Never heard anyone call it "sunday school"... it was CCD.
Sunday school wasn't even a thing if you were Catholic....u went to mass and that's it.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,636,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
I do not talk about my religion with others, nor do I put other people down for their religion. I only bring it up when other people ask about it. I am not trolling, I have been reading the religious/spiritual forum as well as the other forums here related to travel(I stumbled across this forum in attempt to find a good place in Florida for my mom and I to vacation) fora while before I made an account.

I am a very shy person usually, my online persona is nothing how I am in real life, here I am more bold but in real life I am as quiet as a mouse. To the person who said why I attend Sunday school but not Mass, I do attend Mass with my mother regularly as well. I am not lying about my church volunteering at my school, they usually host drives to help foster kids or try to raise money for abused children by hosting dances. Thank you for all your replies, and God bless.
NancyFancy, I don't accuse you of being a troll, but I can tell you with all certainty and honesty that NO devout Catholic girl considering becoming a nun would EVER list their religious affiliation as "Christian", which you did on your 'about me' page. Never has happened, never going to happen.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:31 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,690,588 times
The OP reminds me of the girl who would follow me around school telling me I was going to hell. She started in elementary school and finally stopped when we graduated. I heard numerous times a day how I was going to hell for idiotic things like wearing lipstick, wearing funky clothes, listening to hair bands, practically everything teenagers do!

My response to her every time she told me I was going to hell? I'd see her there! That would just **** her off so that made me happy because I was sick of her nagging. I would have flushed her head in the toilet if I wouldn't have been suspended.

A few years ago we reconnected on Facebook. And OMG!!!! She hasn't changed! Here it is over 20 years later...

Old 02-26-2016, 11:39 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,953,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Exactly!
I attended Catholic school for 12 years so I know the religion very well.

There are no protestant nuns. If the OP is protestant and claiming to want to be a nun...she's insane.
One doesn't go to "sunday school" either lol. That's a dead give away...
You go to CCD and it's usually not on a sunday anyway.
There are Episcopal nuns. Check it out.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:46 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,690,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
yes I know it is sad when security guards also take their loaded guns home and cuddle the new baby.. its so sad...........isnt it..
Wait! What? I know that thread! Wow people really have a lot of free time!

Old 02-26-2016, 11:53 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,481,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Wait! What? I know that thread! Wow people really have a lot of free time!

dizzy is in a tizzy over that post for some reason, and taking it on this OP. If you look at the OP's posts, they are all in the religion forums. I doubt they are a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships