Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 11:14 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,911,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
I third this advice. Pretending it never happened doesn't change the fact that it did happen.
But bringing it up again when the prof likely has totally moved on doesn't make it go away either. It just makes it a topic again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2016, 11:31 AM

11,817 posts, read 12,068,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
But bringing it up again when the prof likely has totally moved on doesn't make it go away either. It just makes it a topic again.
That's only speculation that the prof has moved on. If I behaved poorly, I'd apologize. My apology is not conditional on whether I think someone is over it or not.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:33 AM

1,394 posts, read 1,264,873 times
When I feel worked up about something I did, or (usually) what someone else did, I ask myself "okay, self, will this matter in 2 years?" Usually it doesn't.
He.ll probably avoid you like the plague anyway, but if you do bump into him in the near future, apologize right away and walk off.
Written notes, like letters and such are meant for well-wishing and love letters, not apologies. The written word lasts forever. I think a note will only make him more uncomfortable all over again. Men don.t like notes in my opinion.
If he were that uncomfortable he would have left the table which he should have.
Demon alcohol strikes again!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:48 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,216,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would say something. I would go up to him privately and tell him the wine hit you harder than you expected and you're sorry if you made him uncomfortable. yes, it will suck and be embarrassing, but you will be going a long way in earning his respect again in doing so, IMO. It will also make the rest of the year much more comfortable for YOU, otherwise you're going to feel weird for the rest of the year. Once you apologize you can both out it behind you.

You're not dumb. We've all woken up the "day after" going "OMG, why did I do that??". Forgive yourself, ok?

I agree. A brief apology, privately, ASAP is the best thing to do.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 AM

50 posts, read 47,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You're 31 and still in school?

Is this also a European thing?
???

What's wrong with being 31 and in college/university? Many doctoral programs take years, and even if this person is working on a basic associate degree, there is no age limit to education.

I graduated nursing school in my early 40s after discovering the degree I'd earned in my 20s wasn't what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Good luck to you, OP! Personally, I'd seek the professor out in his office away from prying eyes (door open!), confess that the wine-induced familiarity was inappropriate, apologize with assurance that it will not happen again, give a friendly 'see you in class' (to acknowledge and reset the classroom relationship boundary), and walk out.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:15 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,104,053 times
Consider the results of both possibilities.

One, you apologize. It may be uncomfortable for you in the moment, but you do it and get it over with and then continue on with your studies without the elephant in the room that you're trying to pretend isn't there. It's like ripping off a Band-Aid. It's painful for a moment and then it's over.

Or you don't you do anything and spend the next two years worrying every time you're in class, wondering if he thinks badly of you, worrying that it will affect your grade, instead of focusing on your class material and your studies.

I know which course I would prefer, but it's your decision to make. Just realize that if you ignore it, it won't just go away for you. You'll have to carry that worry and uncertainty with you for the remainder of your time in his class.

If you do decide to apologize, do so immediately, the very next time you see him. If you wait it will just get harder and more awkward.

Good luck.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:27 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,432,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
^^^oh dear I feel leaving him a note is even worse than what I did! Maybe it's a culture thing!
okay..you daren't talk to him OR to send a note....the only thing left is to go hide in a hole for the rest of your academic career. Hopefully the dept. is big enough that you don't need to take him for another class. And why would you be dumb enough to have THREE more glasses of wine at such an occasion? Hope you don't do that at all the Christmas parties you have at work once you get your degree!

Old 02-27-2016, 12:31 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,160,668 times
Don't beat yourself up over it. Everyone who drinks likely has an 'omg what possessed me to do that' story. Unlike many others, yours doesn't involve anyone being hurt.

Just go up to him during office hours, and apologise sincerely, and that you had a bit too much to drink that night, and that you hope to put this behind you.

Old 02-27-2016, 12:41 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,554,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
And why would you be dumb enough to have THREE more glasses of wine at such an occasion? !
OP, I hope you learned not to do that again. Apologize and move on.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:03 PM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
I need some advice. So several days ago I went to this lunch thing with some classmates and professors from my school. I already arrived there tipsy (had a glass of wine after a small lunch). I ended up drinking about three glasses of wine at the luncheon. I think I might have flirted with my professor. I put my hand on his shoulder and probably talking nonsense. While I was talking to him I didn't have a glass of wine in hand but only water as I was trying to sober up! He looked visibly uncomfortable. I suddenly took my hand off and said 'ok bye now.' He is my professor until next year! I feel so embarrassed! If you were him what would you think of me? Some silly student? I don't have a thing for him. And also he isn't that much older than me, I am 31 he is probably around 38! Just to give you guys an idea.

I just want to put this behind me and pretend it never happened! Was I out of line?
I am mortified!!! What shall I do? If you were my professor would it be awkward seeing me once a week at school??????
I've got a way worse story than that, LOL. The summary of mine was getting hammered at a work dinner meeting and telling my boss's boss off. Doesn't get much worse than that.

I wouldn't sweat what you did there, he probably just wrote it off as you getting a little too tipsy.

Hopefully anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships