Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 09:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,120,656 times

Advertisements

I've never understood why ANY guy named Richard would ever want to be called Dick. That seems really bizarre to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 PM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Could be worse. when I was a kid my parents were friends with a guy who still went by his childhood nickname, Bucket. Short for Bucket of S**t. I don't even know what his given name was. Even the little kids called him Bucket.
Yeah. I know a guy who--when he was in the 9th grade and I was in the 8th back in the 60s--got a "chili bowl" haircut from his mother. We started calling him "Chilibowl" and it stuck.

I ran into him again when I went to college. I heard him introduce himself to a girl as "They call me Chili...because I'm so cool, but I can also be hot." I gave him a look that said, "I could bust you out...but I won't."

To this day, people who don't know him that far back call him "Chili," but some of us are still around to call him Chilibowl.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,172,498 times
I've yet to meet anyone with that type of name who wasn't an obsessive baseball or American football fan. They all seemed like the types to frequent Hooters and stripclubs, too.

In other words, 'all-American' types.

Old 03-24-2016, 12:27 AM

6,245 posts, read 3,635,359 times
Hmm...I don't even think of those as little kid names. They are just shortened versions of their original to me. *shrug*

Old 03-24-2016, 06:21 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,091,344 times
Tommy Lee Jones seems to be doing alright with his name.

A name is just a name, I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:21 AM

772 posts, read 917,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
when a person gets older when should they stop using their childhood name?

it sounds kind of funny when they still call older guys by their little boy names

I find you offensive. there is a MAN at work, his name is BILLY, I don't see that as a "little boy name"

Old 03-24-2016, 07:09 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,480,869 times
When my son became an adult, someone told me I should call him Don, rather than Donnie. I asked him which he preferred and he said, "Donnie is fine with me."

I knew a woman who was called Nookie. When her mother was pregnant with her, an uncle wanted to name her, but her mother wouldn't agree. The uncle said he was going to call her Nookie if he wasn't allowed to name her. The name stuck.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:22 AM

28,714 posts, read 18,922,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
When my son became an adult, someone told me I should call him Don, rather than Donnie. I asked him which he preferred and he said, "Donnie is fine with me."

I knew a woman who was called Nookie. When her mother was pregnant with her, an uncle wanted to name her, but her mother wouldn't agree. The uncle said he was going to call her Nookie if he wasn't allowed to name her. The name stuck.
That must have been in a generation different from mine. "Nookie" had connotations in my generation.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,480,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That must have been in a generation different from mine. "Nookie" had connotations in my generation.
The reason I posted it is the connotation was the same in that generation as yours. Didn't occur to me it needed to be explained!

Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 AM

8,154 posts, read 7,541,909 times
The names Jimmy and Tommy together will always remind we of Goodfellas, one of my favorite movies.

Going around my office, we've got a Tony (not Anthony), and Al (not Alfred), several Dave's (only one David), etc.

Somebody mentioned Jimmy Carter, but we also had John F. "Jack" Kennedy. Jack is the diminutive (or "little boy") form of John.

Also, as a sports fan I'm used to names on grown men like Billy Williams, Tommy John, etc.

And as a fan of the entertainment industry, names like Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel, Johnny Carson, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, and Sammy Davis sound perfectly normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships