Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:55 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,596,930 times

Advertisements

Could be worse. when I was a kid my parents were friends with a guy who still went by his childhood nickname, Bucket. Short for Bucket of S**t. I don't even know what his given name was. Even the little kids called him Bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 04:00 PM

5,686 posts, read 5,924,836 times
My wifes name is Robbie, and yes, she is a she!

Old 03-23-2016, 05:02 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,891,911 times
I think it's cute when a kid has a name like Tammy Sue or Bobby Wayne on their birth certificates.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:14 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,689,730 times
Well Jimmy Carter is 91 and is known as Jimmy, rather than James. I do agree that William rather than Bill or Billy, Robert instead of Bob, or worse Richard rather than the awful Dick, is preferable.

One sure way is to have everyone call you by your proper name starting from childhood. Don't call your child Dick if your name is Richard.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,118,469 times
I have a couple of friends named Danny and I have a co worker who is called Jimmy. I don't think it's that unusual.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,380,979 times
I love nicknames. Any Robert can be a Bob but it takes an endearing quality to be Bobby. I ran into an old friend on Facebook who I knew as Bobby but he corrected me, "It's Bob now." I thought... What a shame.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:31 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,219,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Could be worse. when I was a kid my parents were friends with a guy who still went by his childhood nickname, Bucket. Short for Bucket of S**t. I don't even know what his given name was. Even the little kids called him Bucket.

What a horrible nickname!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,219,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nema98 View Post
Well Jimmy Carter is 91 and is known as Jimmy, rather than James. I do agree that William rather than Bill or Billy, Robert instead of Bob, or worse Richard rather than the awful Dick, is preferable.

One sure way is to have everyone call you by your proper name starting from childhood. Don't call your child Dick if your name is Richard.
Our son, lets call him Robert, was always, always, always called Robert from the day he was born never Bob or Bobby. The funny thing was he found a nickname that he loved when he was in HS, lets call it Wilfred. All of his friends called him Wilfred, his high school teachers called him Wilfred.

His dad and I thought it was phase. But, he introduced himself to everyone in college as Wilfred, his professors called him Wilfred. Then he went to graduate school, sure enough, he introduced himself to everyone in grad school as Wilfred, his professors called him Wilfred, he started to publish research papers as Wilfred.

He got married and his wife and all of her relatives call him Wilfred. He even changed his name legally to Robert Wilfred.

Sure we never called him Bob or Bobby but we never expected him to get the nickname Wilfred!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:47 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,802,677 times
One of my son's best friends is named Andrew. We've never called him Andy, ever. He's an Andrew.
One of my best friends is a Jimmy. He's in his 60s and is a totally Jimmy. It feels weird to even call him Jim or James. His name suits him... in a good way.
I know a Billy who's nearly 70. He's an affable guy and his name also suits him. I think men who are low key tend to not insist on "grown up" sounding names as much, maybe? If a man is a businessman and more serious, perhaps they want their names to reflect that?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:12 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,226,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Guy in my neighborhood is a foot ball coach...college level. He goes by "Billy". Sounds ridiculous.

(I think they won two games last year....)

Maybe "Billy" needs to "man up" and become Bill.
Man some of you posters sure are anal about the silliest things. Billy could probably body slam you and put you in the hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships