Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:29 PM

254 posts, read 597,848 times

Advertisements

We are on a tighter budget now that we moved. SIL has a fundraiser coming up with the organization she works with. We would love to attend, but it's $50 per person, and we have to host our own table of 10. WTF? She has everybody in the family organized to certain tables, and put hubby and I by ourselves, and gave us one idea of whom to invite (no idea who that is) and we have to invite 2-3 couples. I think that is putting us in a kind of imposition. Attending is one thing, but hosting a table where we have to invite that many people is a stretch. It would have been nice if she would include us at one table with others. I realize it's a fundraiser. I am not big on formal gatherings, and neither is my husband. Of course it is putting us on the spot. My husband would be non-confrontational about it and just go with it, or perhaps give her some money, but I would say to him "Who would you invite? It's $50 a person. My husband has a large family, and I think that just inviting us to go and pay $50 would be enough. Should we just tell her that we tried to come up with some people but they said that it was too steep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM

294 posts, read 337,459 times
You might as well tell her the truth that it's just not in your budget. No need to go round in circles with the explanation.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,308,240 times
Just tell her you're on a tight budget and you can't afford to attend. Never feel guilty for not being able to attend an event that costs money, especially if it's just a fundraiser. I'm sure the organization will be alright if you and your husband don't attend. Spend half of that money on a nice stress free date for you and your husband and let the organization raise it's own funds.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:35 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
"I am sorry, but we cannot afford to do that right now."

Old 05-12-2016, 12:37 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,400,245 times
Do you have the type of relationship where you can just say "We'd love to support the organization by donating (an amount you are comfortable with) but unfortunately, we cannot attend nor host a table."

I wouldn't have an issue saying to any member of my or my husband's family - "I'm sorry, our budget just doesn't allow us to afford $X amount right now. But I can donate $X."

When people are asking for donations, they should be prepared for people to say "No" and be okay with that. And it was quite presumptuous of her to assign you to hosting a table without asking first.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:41 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,560,415 times
What Hokie said, to a tee. That's a bit nervy of her, wow.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:01 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,906,399 times
yes, really bad form to assign you to host a table without asking. I'm sure it's for a good cause like most of these things are, but agree what others have said. And don't get into a conversation or a negotiation about it. SImply state the reality and stick to it, firmly.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,107 times
Just tell her the truth. You cannot afford it, so you are not going to host a table or try to strong-arm anyone else into attending or otherwise let her force you to do something not in your best interests.

Decline politely and stick to your decision. If she presses you, just keep repeating, "We're sorry, that will be impossible." Do not allow her to bully you into doing something you cannot afford. You don't need to make elaborate excuses or try to offer any kind of alternative or peace offering or substitute or anything else. Just tell her the truth, kindly but firmly, and stick to it.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
We are on a tighter budget now that we moved. SIL has a fundraiser coming up with the organization she works with. We would love to attend, but it's $50 per person, and we have to host our own table of 10. WTF? She has everybody in the family organized to certain tables, and put hubby and I by ourselves, and gave us one idea of whom to invite (no idea who that is) and we have to invite 2-3 couples. I think that is putting us in a kind of imposition. Attending is one thing, but hosting a table where we have to invite that many people is a stretch. It would have been nice if she would include us at one table with others. I realize it's a fundraiser. I am not big on formal gatherings, and neither is my husband. Of course it is putting us on the spot. My husband would be non-confrontational about it and just go with it, or perhaps give her some money, but I would say to him "Who would you invite? It's $50 a person. My husband has a large family, and I think that just inviting us to go and pay $50 would be enough. Should we just tell her that we tried to come up with some people but they said that it was too steep?
That's really presumptuous. Frankly, it sounds like she's more concerned about her event and making it successful than she is about her brother and whatever his economic situation might be. Politely decline.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Maybe your sister-in-law is a lovely person who is truly committed to the cause (although the cause may in part be keeping up the funding that pays her salary), but who the hell does she think she is assigning you the obligation to raise $500 for her organization?

You don't have to populate a table of ten, you don't have to invite anyone, and you don't have to go and spend $100 you don't have on a cause that isn't your cause.

Just tell her you can't do it. Or, if you don't want to be confrontational, just ignore all communications from her about this and don't show up. When she asks you about it your answer is, "I never agreed to do anything like that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships