Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times

Advertisements

Just say no! Do not feel obligated because she is your sister!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 08:24 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
We are on a tighter budget now that we moved. SIL has a fundraiser coming up with the organization she works with. We would love to attend, but it's $50 per person, and we have to host our own table of 10. WTF? She has everybody in the family organized to certain tables, and put hubby and I by ourselves, and gave us one idea of whom to invite (no idea who that is) and we have to invite 2-3 couples. I think that is putting us in a kind of imposition. Attending is one thing, but hosting a table where we have to invite that many people is a stretch. It would have been nice if she would include us at one table with others. I realize it's a fundraiser. I am not big on formal gatherings, and neither is my husband. Of course it is putting us on the spot. My husband would be non-confrontational about it and just go with it, or perhaps give her some money, but I would say to him "Who would you invite? It's $50 a person. My husband has a large family, and I think that just inviting us to go and pay $50 would be enough. Should we just tell her that we tried to come up with some people but they said that it was too steep?
No, because your final sentence is a lie. Tell her that you will be happy to attend the fundraiser (sounds like you don't mind doing that in one sentence, although you later added you are "not big on formal gatherings") and pay for your own $50 plate each at a table. If you can get another couple or two to join you, that's great, but don't promise what you can't deliver.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:52 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,536,679 times
This will not end. If you allow her to do this to you, she will keep right on each year, each quarter, each fundraising goal....

Control your own life and your own charitable giving. If you knew what I know about how most non profits spend their funds, you wouldn't be so eager to give them a dime anyway.

But that is beside the point, your SIL is a pushy woman whose actions regarding plans for you needs be nipped in the bud. That is outrageous. How dare she.

I'm sorry we decline your offer . Or don't say the sorry part. And do not give her money unless you plan to keep right on giving each time.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 PM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I'm sorry, that just will not work for me right now.

You do not have to give a reason, such as sharing your financial situation...
This 150%. End of story.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 PM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Just say No thank you.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:38 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,356,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
This is too nice. The SIL is the one who owes the apology! Just tell her no, you won't be able to do it.
I allow for being nice. Here is why: SIL assumes that everyone is in the same financial position that she is in. Maybe the OP appears to be in a similar position. The OP, seemed to mention that doing this would not be in their best interest because of their financial situation. Many people do not want others around them to know if they are doing bad or are in a bind. I have been there and with some family members it is hard to "compete" if that is the right word.

Just telling her no is easy and recommended as well. I just thought she may be looking for an easy out that does not share the personal situation that she may be going thru.

Old 05-13-2016, 12:58 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,934 times
Inviting you to attend is one thing but asking you to get other people to attend is another. That makes you have to do work for her cause and with no benefit to you. How do you find 1 couple, much less 3, that would want to spend the evening at a fund raiser for a cause that they may not have any interest in? Shouldn't the organization have a list of supporters that they would send invites out to? Not just random friends of employees' relatives?

Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,391,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

I'm sorry, that just will not work for me right now.

You do not have to give a reason, such as sharing your financial situation, and the right now leaves the possibility of future participation open.
^ This is perfect.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennStar View Post
We are on a tighter budget now that we moved. SIL has a fundraiser coming up with the organization she works with. We would love to attend, but it's $50 per person, and we have to host our own table of 10. WTF? She has everybody in the family organized to certain tables, and put hubby and I by ourselves, and gave us one idea of whom to invite (no idea who that is) and we have to invite 2-3 couples. I think that is putting us in a kind of imposition. Attending is one thing, but hosting a table where we have to invite that many people is a stretch. It would have been nice if she would include us at one table with others. I realize it's a fundraiser. I am not big on formal gatherings, and neither is my husband. Of course it is putting us on the spot. My husband would be non-confrontational about it and just go with it, or perhaps give her some money, but I would say to him "Who would you invite? It's $50 a person. My husband has a large family, and I think that just inviting us to go and pay $50 would be enough. Should we just tell her that we tried to come up with some people but they said that it was too steep?

I should Dino,y say

SIL while we would love to attend your fundraiser I'm deeply sorry but we must bow out. At this time our finances simply dictate our efforts to go toward other things. We're sorry we cannot support your fundraiser.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:25 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
The more excuses you come up with the more she will argue with you.

It is not her business what your finances are. A simple I am sorry but it is not possible. If she continues to ask, continue to repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships