Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:16 PM

493 posts, read 512,994 times

Advertisements

The family all offered to help the parents said no they wanted him to learn a lesson. But I would feel like if I had the money I would bail my child out at least the first time. If you keep getting arrested then no. At least give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe because I don't feel like 20$ bag of pot = drug dealing and getting 4 months. Its only a ticket in nyc.
I probably wouldn't talk to my family either if you didn't believe me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 06:18 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think that $500 bail is very low and it was expected by the court that he would be bailed out. I would not have let a child or other young relative who was a basically good person go to Rikers over a $20 bag of grass. In doing so, it seems these parents have caused their son much more harm than a little grass would have caused. I know they meant well, but they appear somewhat clueless.
He didn't go to Rikers because of a $20 bag of grass. That was the first time he was caught. His parents have not caused him harm. He did that all by himself.

Now, could I have been as strong as they were? Doubtful. But that doesn't mean I think they were wrong.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I think that $500 bail is very low and it was expected by the court that he would be bailed out. I would not have let a child or other young relative who was a basically good person go to Rikers over a $20 bag of grass. In doing so, it seems these parents have caused their son much more harm than a little grass would have caused. I know they meant well, but they appear somewhat clueless.
They are very strict type of people. I literally could care less about weed but I know many people do. If something happen to him they would of felt terrible.
I think we had a case of a kid who was in rikers for 3 years (which I didn't even know they could keep you that long). Anyway he died and his bail was around 1,000 for stealing a book bag and the mom wants to cry on tv and sue.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,548,002 times
You didn't bail this kid out? Why not? I'd have a bailed a kid I wasn't even related to, rather than let him sit in jail for 4 months.
Would these same parents bail for minor in possession of alcohol?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
He didn't go to Rikers because of a $20 bag of grass. That was the first time he was caught. His parents have not caused him harm. He did that all by himself.

Now, could I have been as strong as they were? Doubtful. But that doesn't mean I think they were wrong.
The whole case was dismissed he wasn't guilty of anything. His parents assumed because they had found weed previously that it must be true. But many kids smoke weed they are not criminals.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You didn't bail this kid out? Why not? I'd have a bailed a kid I wasn't even related to, rather than let him sit in jail for 4 months.
Would these same parents bail for minor in possession of alcohol?
We all could of parents were adamant they didn't want anyone to bail him out.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:42 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,989,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
The whole case was dismissed he wasn't guilty of anything. His parents assumed because they had found weed previously that it must be true. But many kids smoke weed they are not criminals.
He wasn't "found" guilty. There are several reasons why cases are dismissed, and guilt isn't necessarily part of the equation. His parents believed the charges (smoking pot? You made it sound more like dealing.) were likely legitimate, and I'm sure they know their son far better than any poster here does.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:42 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,339,452 times
It's one thing to let your kid sit in the drunk tank overnight, or even spend a week in jail to "learn a lesson" but I can't fathom why parents would let their son who is in high school and headed to college sit in prison for 4 months when he was innocent.

If I was this kid, it wouldn't be what happened at rikers that hurt me the most, it'd be the actions of my parents having no faith in me. That's a horrible feeling.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:47 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,265,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnaturalkiki View Post
It's against the law in New York to possess and smoke weed, right? When they violate the law what are they then?

Too many people excuse this kind of behavior thinking they shouldn't have consequences when they violate the law. Why shouldn't parents let a kid face the natural consequences of their actions, especially when they know it's not the first time their child has violated the rules or the law?

Old 05-17-2016, 06:48 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,954,063 times
I think the parents were entitled to do what they thought was best. In this case, it was to not bail their kid out.

The kid is entitled to react to this/treat his parents however he wants, in this case, he's decided to cut ties. Quite frankly, I'm with the kid on this one. At the scariest time in his life, his parents ignored him. For 4 months. At Rikers. Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships