Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 08:18 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times

Advertisements

Aside from the obvious aspect of running/wearing out my dogs, this is another reason I love the dog park. On any given day I can strike up a conversation with a stranger. I just recently sat and chatted with a woman in her late 80s for well over an hour while throwing a ball for the dogs, it was a nice experience and I gained a little more insight from listening to her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 10:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
I am a guy from Sweden and I have been living in New York for the last ten years (with brief returns to Sweden every now and then), and one thing that I have noticed is that people in many parts of America seem very comfortable with speaking to strangers.
In Sweden we usually don't really speak to strangers that much, and if we have to sit close to someone for a significant amount of time then it will usually be quiet most of the time.
And my impression of American people is that they seem to have a much easier time striking up a conversation - for example, someone might immediately go "how's it going?" or people will randomly talk to each other in the school corridors or at the library etc.
It just seems much more casual in this regard compared to Sweden, and I am interested in hearing your opinions about this.
Maybe you have been to Sweden at some point yourselves and possibly noticed some significant differences in social interactions?
Because that's how I feel about America.
Every American region, city, town, state is different. Some will talk. Some won't. Personally, I don't enjoy talking to strangers. I'll be polite and courteous always but, I'm not the type to just talk to people in hallways and rooms and stuff.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Yes. I think visitors to the US are surprised by how open we appear to be about some things. But asking questions about salaries or other private things is impolite here. You would never ask someone about an injury they have, for instance. Or about a biracial child that you have in your stroller, if you are white. Stuff like that. Don't ask how much something cost, either. Sometimes people might tell you, but you don't ask.
Agreed on all of this. I also feel it's impolite to ask someone where they bought something, such as a piece of clothing. Could be they bought it at a thrift shop and would rather not divulge that. I recently saw/heard a friend ask an acquaintance where she purchased a top she was wearing. The wearer of the top looked a bit taken aback, even though she purchased the top at an expensive shop. Maybe she didn't want others to know she spent that level of dollars on clothing. Or didn't want the other woman to buy one just like it.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:39 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I am a guy from Sweden and I have been living in New York for the last ten years (with brief returns to Sweden every now and then), and one thing that I have noticed is that people in many parts of America seem very comfortable with speaking to strangers.
In Sweden we usually don't really speak to strangers that much, and if we have to sit close to someone for a significant amount of time then it will usually be quiet most of the time.
And my impression of American people is that they seem to have a much easier time striking up a conversation - for example, someone might immediately go "how's it going?" or people will randomly talk to each other in the school corridors or at the library etc.
It just seems much more casual in this regard compared to Sweden, and I am interested in hearing your opinions about this.
Maybe you have been to Sweden at some point yourselves and possibly noticed some significant differences in social interactions?
Because that's how I feel about America.
Yes, this is common, but there are individual differences. For example, when on an airplane, some people like to talk with their seat mate part of the time. Some people hate that, and prefer to be quiet and keep to themselves on a long flight.

There are also regional differences. In some parts of the country, it's considered "being neighborly" to chat with people in the cashier line at the grocery store, or to say hello when passing on the sidewalk around the neighborhood. In other parts of the country, people are more like in Sweden, haha! I'm thinking of Seattle--you'd feel very at home there! Strangers don't talk to each other there, EVER!

What I found in Sweden is that actually, people can be very friendly and talkative if there's some way to break the ice naturally. For example, I used to hitch-hike around the country, long distances. Most drivers would start up a conversation with me, which would be enjoyable, to pass the time. (I spoke Norwegian, so it was easy. They didn't know I was American, at first.) I imagine that if I passed the same people in a store or on the street without knowing them, it wouldn't cross their mind to strike up a conversation. So it all depends on the situation.

Old 07-13-2016, 04:34 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Aside from the obvious aspect of running/wearing out my dogs, this is another reason I love the dog park. On any given day I can strike up a conversation with a stranger. I just recently sat and chatted with a woman in her late 80s for well over an hour while throwing a ball for the dogs, it was a nice experience and I gained a little more insight from listening to her.
That sounds nice. I do know that when I am out walking and not just strolling I don't want to be interrupted. There are times when I don't want to talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, this is common, but there are individual differences. For example, when on an airplane, some people like to talk with their seat mate part of the time. Some people hate that, and prefer to be quiet and keep to themselves on a long flight.
Ugh…airplanes. I prefer not to talk to the people next to me. I don't mind quickly chatting with someone but on a plane I cannot get away

Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Haha, my hair colour is something between dark blonde and light brown.

I would say that hair colours in Sweden are fairly mixed;
light hair colours are probably slightly more common, but a lot of Swedes do have brown or black hair as well.
If you have ever seen that Swedish classic movie that in America is known as "Show Me Love" then you have probably noticed that several of the actors have dark hair.

Of course, a lot of them may have coloured their hair.
I believe that the most common natural hair colour in Sweden is various shades of blonde.

Sweden is very pleasant during summer, actually.
The temperatures can be pretty nice, and a typical Swedish summer is around +80°F, and sometimes more than +90°F.
Days like these are typically in June, July and August, and maybe a few days into September (May usually jumps between +50°F and +65°F).
The winters are slighty below freezing point on average (although the coldest day I can remember was below -20°F!) and they last roughly between November and Mars, and the rest of the year is pretty much "transitions" between these seasons, and kind of what you would expect a temperate spring and autumn to be like.

Hmm...that sounds pretty much exactly how the weather is here in New Hampshire. lol I actually kind of like it to be truthful. Not sure I could stand living where it stays hot for much or most of the year. I think NH also might more closely resemble Sweden than the rest of the US when it comes to interactions between strangers as well. Friendly enough, but reserved, at least until they get to know you.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:59 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Haha, my hair colour is something between dark blonde and light brown.

I would say that hair colours in Sweden are fairly mixed;
light hair colours are probably slightly more common, but a lot of Swedes do have brown or black hair as well.
If you have ever seen that Swedish classic movie that in America is known as "Show Me Love" then you have probably noticed that several of the actors have dark hair.

Of course, a lot of them may have coloured their hair.
I believe that the most common natural hair colour in Sweden is various shades of blonde.

Sweden is very pleasant during summer, actually.
The temperatures can be pretty nice, and a typical Swedish summer is around +80°F, and sometimes more than +90°F.
Days like these are typically in June, July and August, and maybe a few days into September (May usually jumps between +50°F and +65°F).
The winters are slighty below freezing point on average (although the coldest day I can remember was below -20°F!) and they last roughly between November and Mars, and the rest of the year is pretty much "transitions" between these seasons, and kind of what you would expect a temperate spring and autumn to be like.
Except for the fact that temperatures can spike to 100f for a few days, this is how i would describe philadelphia weather. I imagine though, you don't have any real high humidity days.

When I was a child, i was with my grandfather one day when he became upset and shocked that two men passed each other on the street without saying hello.

Even with all the inter-social/racial/political strife we have in America, i am never shocked or surprised that people strike up conversation easily. This is one of the best things about America and one of the reasons I do not really despair the amount of arguing that goes on on this site. What happens here is not indicative of the true American.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-13-2016 at 06:12 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,529,018 times
OP, you obviously don't live in Montana.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times
No, it depends what part of the USA? lots of people dont talk to strangers here either, the whole USA is not the same, some places people talk more and some places it's not common.

Every state in the USA is kind of like a small country with their own customs, traditions, cultures, history, laws.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Agreed on all of this. I also feel it's impolite to ask someone where they bought something, such as a piece of clothing. Could be they bought it at a thrift shop and would rather not divulge that. I recently saw/heard a friend ask an acquaintance where she purchased a top she was wearing. The wearer of the top looked a bit taken aback, even though she purchased the top at an expensive shop. Maybe she didn't want others to know she spent that level of dollars on clothing. Or didn't want the other woman to buy one just like it.
This has happened to me! I wore a pretty jacket out and someone asked me where I bought it! I did not want to tell her, "Goodwill." So I said, "Oh this is old."

Yeah, it is better not to ask, unless you two are really close friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships