Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:37 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabanana123 View Post
My mom is a very cold person. She is very emotionally unstable. She thinks crying is a sign of weakness and if she sees me upset she is not the type to talk to me about it or comfort me. She snaps at every little thing and it's making me miserable. My sister's don't understand what I go through with her because they don't live at home and see how she really is. Another one of the big reasons why my relationship with all of them is messed up.
I have known half a dozen people who moved out after high school because their home life was intolerable. They did WHATEVER they had to do to support themselves and be independent. If someone can do it at 18, you can at 30.

While I was in college, and till I moved out at 23, my parents insisted I pay rent and my share of expenses. As a wedding present, they gave me a check for the total amount I had paid them! They wanted me to learn some responsibility, and I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:27 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
I am 30. Would you like a urine sample as well?
Nice comeback!

You're better than you think at standing up for yourself.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
While I know rent is skyrocketing, (as it's going up even in smaller cities and not just coastal places), do you have an option to get a place with roommates? Maybe with some people from school? As another thread on here has indicated, there is no such age limit to living with roommates, especially with rent being as high as it is.

The alternative is do a switch as someone else suggested of working full time and going to school part time. You might take longer to finish school, but at least you'll be able to get out of the situation you're in.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:07 PM

25 posts, read 17,397 times
I only have FOUR more classes left until I graduate. Going part time is unnecessary in this case. I am going to see my school therapist once the term is over which will be soon. Right now I am just keeping my distance from my family. I just can't stand any of them anymore. Im sick of always looking like the bad guy and getting treated like ****.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Again, why has it taken you so long to finish school?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:19 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Again, why has it taken you so long to finish school?
Since she sees a school therapist, it is easy to assume she has 'issues'. Since fruit doesn't fall far from the proverbial tree - having 'issues' may be a learned behavior from childhood.

At any rate - having issues can slow someone down. Dysfunction in a family can slow people down. Genuine illness - even asthma - can set people back in life. Perhaps, like many people with issues or without issues, she simply didn't know what she wanted to do for the rest of her life until she got older.

At any rate - is any sage-like advice dependent on intimate details?

Old 05-27-2016, 03:37 PM

25 posts, read 17,397 times
I started college when I was 25

Old 05-27-2016, 05:23 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
I honestly think your relationship with your family will vastly improve once you manage to move out. I would work on that ASAP after you graduate, and it seems like you're planning that. My boyfriend went through something vaguely similar. He has three siblings and he lived with his older sister for a while. They fought all the time and he moved out to live with me in another state. He was bitter toward her for some time but the distance helped and now they are close (ish) again. His sister also lived with his other brother and the brother had to move out too because of her. Some family members just can't live together when they get past a certain age.

So I caution against cutting them off right away because I bet you will see a difference when you move out.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:50 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Then what were you doing for the 7 years before that? Were you mooching off your parents all that time?

I knew something was wrong when you said you went to school full time and still haven't graduated at 30.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post

At any rate - is any sage-like advice dependent on intimate details?
Yes ...

Quote:
Also, she isn't seeing a therapist yet.

Something is missing from this story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships