Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2016, 04:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Frankly, someone who is moving to a different, far away country, where the entire culture and language is new, probably will have to face far more hurdles and will need far more skills than you need at your job. To say that he is doing that because he does not want a "real job" is absolutely ridiculous.

Every aspect of his day to day life, from finding housing, to buying food & necessities, to interacting with people in the community will be a huge challenge because of the different language. I know that some, in fact many, people wouldn't last a month if they had to move to a new country for their job. Frankly, I bet that you would be one of those people that would be running back to Mom & Dad and an English speaking country within days or weeks.
It's possible that this friend actually word-for-word said he's doing this because he doesn't want a real job. I know that sounds weird, but I've met a few people who want to do this kind of 'adventure' before getting 'a real job.' An attitude that I hope doesn't affect their professionalism overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 04:47 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,450,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
OP, you need to lighten up, or you will find yourself alone a lot, because no one likes a braggart, which you seem to be.

Teaching in Japan IS a real job, as real as your job. Your friend is becoming well-rounded and will be getting awesome experiences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Frankly, someone who is moving to a different, far away country, where the entire culture and language is new, probably will have to face far more hurdles and will need far more skills than you need at your job. To say that he is doing that because he does not want a "real job" is absolutely ridiculous.

Every aspect of his day to day life, from finding housing, to buying food & necessities, to interacting with people in the community will be a huge challenge because of the different language. I know that some, in fact many, people wouldn't last a month if they had to move to a new country for their job. Frankly, I bet that you would be one of those people that would be running back to Mom & Dad and an English speaking country within days or weeks.
I would agree.

Showing interest in another culture and being willing to immerse one's self for an extended length of time is a very challenging and often life changing experience. And certainly marketable. Particularly if they are interested in working in an international business at some point. Curiosity, a sense of adventure and a willingness to take risks are good traits to have in your twenties.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
You know people who are expected to work at 1,2 ,or 3 am and are still expected to be in at 7?
BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA....HA HA HA HA...HA HA HA HA...*snort*...HA HA HA....

Yes.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,141 times
I am a parent. Put 4 kids thru college and paid for 3 houses. My wife and I have a nice nest egg and lots of bills that we pay every month. She is almost 50 and is finishing up her college degree that she put on hold to raise children. When she graduates, we will have a party and we will be hungover(hopefully). If that upsets my "BOSS", then he will just have to be upset. I have learned that I am only happy when I am me and if that means throwing a party for my wife or grown children then that's what I will do.

You are 22? Too serious too soon. Your life will be over before you realize that friends and family are way more important than money. Don't believe me, lose someone you care about and then tell me what you would give up for just 10 more minutes with them. You'll figure this out. I hope you do it before it is too late.
Remember to find a job you love, a love you can't live without and life that gives you goosebumps. Fear nothing

Good Luck

Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
He isn't wrong. The graduate is moving to Japan to teach English and run tours for hostel residents because he doesn't want a real job.
That sounds pretty real to me. Sounds like he'll be self supporting, so... ???

Old 08-13-2016, 06:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,162,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I would agree.

Showing interest in another culture and being willing to immerse one's self for an extended length of time is a very challenging and often life changing experience. And certainly marketable. Particularly if they are interested in working in an international business at some point. Curiosity, a sense of adventure and a willingness to take risks are good traits to have in your twenties.
I agree completely.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,003,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA....HA HA HA HA...HA HA HA HA...*snort*...HA HA HA....

Yes.
You're cheating though, New doctors don't work "normal" hours for years do they?

Old 08-13-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You're cheating though, New doctors don't work "normal" hours for years do they?
Neither do old ones.

Imagine, for example, that you are on call.

You have full day of clinic Monday and Tuesday. However, you are on call Monday. So you could be at the hospital late at night fulfilling your call duties...but still have to go to clinic or surgery or whatever the next day.

The only guys who are able to get out of call are usually in their sixties and they get kind of a compassionate "you don't have to take call" or "you only have to take call once a month" or something like that.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:03 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,511 times
He literally has said he hates corporate America for being overly capitalistic. He also feels entitled to avoid it because he didn't make his parents pay for an expensive private school education. These are word for word things he said.

He studied abroad in Japan, so it's not like it's a whole brand new experience. He also doesn't have a single long term plan in Japan. He has literally said because his lease is for 2 years, he'll stay for 2 years and then decide from there what to do.

As a side note, he has told me multiple times to stop putting in money in my 401k and blow it on something. He thinks retirement funds are for losers or something. But he has wealthy parents, so maybe he won't actually feel the affects of it. Good for him.

Last edited by stellastar2345; 08-14-2016 at 12:13 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 01:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
I believe Stella is having a hard time relating to the situation for cultural reasons and while possibly having been here in the US for a number of years is not from an American family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships