Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 06:34 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
one of the perks I feel as an adult is.
I, am not the one to make the decisions.
I am the one that get to deceide whether I want to go our not.

If I dont want to go to an event, I check the box no, and give no reason.
I dont have to justify to anyone why Im not going, and Im not about to.

the day might be a good day for the bride and groom, or what ever the event it, but its not a good day for me.

who invented this "save the date" BS ?

send the wedding invite out and call it a day, are people that worried that someone cant make thier wedding that they have to send something out to say, save the date though, but i didnt get my wedding invitations out yet, but that is the date??? please dont make any other plans??

sound like another PITA thing someone has to do now, send out yet another thing in the mail.....
The save-the-date thing is pretty new. I got my first such card this year from my niece, and then I got another shortly after from a friend's daughter for February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:44 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,176,343 times
Quote:

Agree 200%!! One of the many reasons I've stayed single over the years is so I won't be forced (by a wife) into going to stupid social events like weddings.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 10-13-2016 at 11:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2016, 06:00 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
^ oops, and I made a mistake, I did mean to say "I AM the one....

I agree, I hate all these events, I just hate them.
Id rather go to work.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:00 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:

the day might be a good day for the bride and groom, or what ever the event it, but its not a good day for me.

send the wedding invite out and call it a day, are people that worried that someone cant make thier wedding that they have to send something out to say, save the date though, but i didnt get my wedding invitations out yet, but that is the date??? please dont make any other plans??

sound like another PITA thing someone has to do now, send out yet another thing in the mail.....
You're smart. I made the mistake of giving an explanation when I didn't want to fly from CA to MA for a wedding for someone I am not close with. Foolish me thought common sense would tell you that is a lot to ask of someone(the expense and effort) to fly across the country for a long weekend. I tired to explain that to someone who I should have known wouldn't get it. Looking back I just should have said can't make it.

You see now everyone suffers from "all about me", they can't just sent a wedding invite, you now have a Save the Date, and also a wedding website. Telling you their whole life story but more importantly the various funds they have set up(like Go Fund Me) so you can contribute to their honeymoon fund, buy a house fund, etc.

Unreal. What happened to getting cash at a wedding and the bride and groom using the money the way they want to, not beg for donations.

It's all very off putting.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:09 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
It all started in the 1980s. Prior to that, people had small and inexpensive weddings in a church and the reception was held in the basement.

Let me guess, you grew up in the 1980s so think that's when history started.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:19 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:

I see the "save the date" thing differently. It's nice to know ahead of time if you need to plan for travel somewhere- I'd rather have 6 months notice and have time to shop around for cheaper flights and buy the tickets when I have the money handy than 30 days before when maybe I've just gotten back from a vacation or made a large purchase and am cash poor. It's a courtesy.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:45 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I see the "save the date" thing differently. It's nice to know ahead of time if you need to plan for travel somewhere- I'd rather have 6 months notice and have time to shop around for cheaper flights and buy the tickets when I have the money handy than 30 days before when maybe I've just gotten back from a vacation or made a large purchase and am cash poor. It's a courtesy.
True, but there have been cases when there is no actual invite to the wedding later on. Due to cutting back on cost or something else. I agree about advanced airfare, but until I have an actual printed invitation in my hand I wouldn't get an airline ticket. I wouldn't go by a Save the Date.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:47 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
True, but there have been cases when there is no actual invite to the wedding later on. Due to cutting back on cost or something else. I agree about advanced airfare, but until I have an actual printed invitation in my hand I wouldn't get an airline ticket. I wouldn't go by a Save the Date.
I've never gotten a save the date without an invitation following, but I have gotten save the dates and then not gotten the actual invitation until a few weeks before the wedding. Maybe you just got un-invited? (I kid)

Old 10-15-2016, 10:12 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
I very much sympathize with the OP, as my friend is getting married very soon. I feel equally unenthusiastic, albeit for a different reason. I didn't drift apart from my friend as much as the OP did. The reason for my feelings is that the best man or whoever is planning the wedding is doing a very poor job at it. And the wedding is less than 2 weeks away.

I tried to find out information in advance, because I need it to take time off work. Also because the wedding is in Milwaukee, and I live in a Chicago suburb. But no one can tell me anything! It's the most chaotic wedding I've had to attend in my whole life. No one knows what time to show up. No one knows the parking situation, or if there is a block of rooms reserved. No one knows when and where the bachelor party will be, or how attendees are getting there. No one even knows the exact time the wedding is scheduled to begin, for crying out loud. The only information I could get from the wedding party is the location, the date, and the dress code. Nothing else. In frustration, I went online to learn about the venue and nearby hotels, and I learned more on there than I did from whoever's organizing everything. Or maybe what's what they expected me to do all along.

To rub salt in the wound, I risk losing out on PTO pay. My company requires you to plan time off in advance, unless it's a sick day. I need to let my boss know in advance to get PTO pay, which I can't do, because no one will tell me anything. While I'm excited for my friend and look forward to supporting him, I'm at a point of just throwing my hands up and just not going. Nothing frustrates me more than poor planning and withholding of information.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 10-15-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 10-15-2016, 06:26 PM

35,071 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I've never gotten a save the date without an invitation following, but I have gotten save the dates and then not gotten the actual invitation until a few weeks before the wedding. Maybe you just got un-invited? (I kid)
My son got one for a Bar Mitzvah. In fact my son's entire sleepaway camp year got them and very few if any got invites. Potentially a lot of valueless airfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships