Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2016, 02:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times

Advertisements

You didn't give presents to your parents when you were younger? I started when I was about 8.

Surely you're the one who knows about them and their interests, not us. I would certainly not get gift cards; a Starbucks card is what you might give a flunky office-girl who you barely know. If your father likes cooking, he might like a cookbook that would give him some ideas, or some fancy or amusing kitchen gadgetry. Companies are always coming out with interesting ideas, like a new kind of garlic press or kitchen timer. It's sad that you don't mention your mother at all. A book? Clothing? She must have some interests.

I think Christmas and birthday presents are pretty much the same thing - except that at Christmas you can give your parents a joint present, if you like, such as something for the household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2016, 04:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
You didn't give presents to your parents when you were younger? I started when I was about 8.
I did, but it was mostly handmade stuff from school. When you are in your 20s, finger paintings are no longer cute.

I've always sucked at buying gifts. I thought about buying my mom some perfume, but it's a very personal thing, same with clothes. I thought a gift certificate to a massage place would be nice.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:34 PM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I did, but it was mostly handmade stuff from school. When you are in your 20s, finger paintings are no longer cute.

I've always sucked at buying gifts. I thought about buying my mom some perfume, but it's a very personal thing, same with clothes. I thought a gift certificate to a massage place would be nice.
If the drink a bottle wine or liquor is always good.

Old 10-01-2016, 09:12 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
A gift of self is the absolutely best gift you can give!

The massage and pedicure are also excellent. Manicures are also good. If you're good at it you can give the gift of self and the manicure at the same time.

Do some cleaning for them - light fixtures, cupboards, taking things to Goodwill, washing walls or floors are always appreciated around here.

Read to Grandma if she likes. A book of poetry is good and there's something for everyone. It doesn't have to be highbrow.

It might not seem like much of a gift to you but, believe me, these things are appreciated by older folks.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:25 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Do some cleaning for them - light fixtures, cupboards, taking things to Goodwill, washing walls or floors are always appreciated around here.
But do ask first.

I cleaned my MIL's fridge the day before she was to arrive home from a long cruise. She hid it well but I don't think she was too pleased about it.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:10 AM

8,273 posts, read 8,662,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
If the drink a bottle wine or liquor is always good.
If THEY drink a bottle OF wine is always good. I wasn't even drinking when I wrote that.

At least no one said picture frames. The worst gift ever. Thrift stores are full of them.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:31 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
An experience is great. My dad loves to watch golf (and play it). So I got him tickets to the Byron Nelson. If your dad loves to cook, maybe there are lessons for some ethnic cuisine he's never done.

Most people love food and booze. Gift baskets are yummy. Steaks. Wine of the month. BACON.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:00 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,977,497 times
Think really hard about who they are as individuals .. and then make them something that fits their personalities, etc. - even if it is just a picture of you framed or a collection of jars of dried herbs or something else very simple. Those are truly gifts from the heart and unless your family is really stuck on commercially made stuff I bet they would treasure those and the real thought behind them from you far more than anything you could buy ready made.

They probably loved the pictures you drew when you were a child and proudly displayed them on the fridge for weeks, no? You are still their child (at least your parents' child). Failing that .. do they read or like movies? If so .. get a gift certificate I guess. If you have a particular visible talent (like singing - make them a CD of your voice or dancing - can you have someone make a video with you introducing your dance as specially done for them) .. be creative. Don't just give gifts because you feel you 'should' - do it because you care and want to see a smile on their faces. If you can't afford the time or small expense even for those things ... what about a 'gift certificate' for you to do something for them or with them at some time in the future (but be sure you actually mean it and would honour it).

I hate obligatory gifts purchased at a store .. just because you 'should' or 'had to' - better to give nothing but a kiss on the cheek or a card if that is the way your family sees gift giving.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:12 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
An experience is great. My dad loves to watch golf (and play it). So I got him tickets to the Byron Nelson. If your dad loves to cook, maybe there are lessons for some ethnic cuisine he's never done.
Yeah, experience gifts are really nice, especially for older people who don't need things. Memberships, subscriptions, classes, tickets, something like that. It's even better if you're there for it--so rather than sending them a gift certificate for a restaurant, next time you're home take them there and sit and talk and spend time with them.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:15 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,710,004 times
I think food gifts and anything else consumable is nice, most people have too much "stuff" and clutter already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships