Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 04:25 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,595,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Then don't invite them, and don't go stay with them. Send them their gifts, or go for a couple hours and stay in a hotel somewhere nearby.

If it comes up in conversation, I'd say (without being mean) something along the lines of, "I love you, but I'm just not a fan of your personal hygiene habits and I'd rather [not stay] or [stay at home] this year."

They can figure it out for themselves.

^^^ This. Just stick to skyping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 04:31 PM

1,201 posts, read 1,227,259 times
My father bathes every couple days and you can tell. I bath everyday and no-one complains i stink. But I'm a big guy and i refuse to fit the stereotype that fat people stink.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:43 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,650,174 times
Like another poster suggested, I would tell the daughter and let her be the one to tell her husband. While I was discussing it with her, I would present her with a lovely gift basket with bath items, deodorant, cologne, etc. Maybe she's not aware of just how "fragrant" they are since they are used to being around each other.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:45 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
You could do what nurses do with smelly patients: put some strong perfume/cologne (not your brand) under your nose, the cheaper the better, brands like Tabu, English Leather, etc., or any knockoff brand from the 99 Cents store. Reapply frequently and switch brands so you don't get used to the scent.

And volunteer to do their laundry every day they're there.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,379,950 times
I have no suggestions for how to speak to them about the smell, but I do have a suggestion about a gift, if you exchange them. Many colleges and cities have laundry services. Some services will pick up laundry and redeliver it. A gift of this kind of service sounds like it might solve part of the problem if accessing a washing machine is an issue for them.

Or invite Julie and her Roy to bring ALL of their laundry when they visit and let her know that the machines will be available for their use.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,126,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I have no suggestions for how to speak to them about the smell, but I do have a suggestion about a gift, if you exchange them. Many colleges and cities have laundry services. Some services will pick up laundry and redeliver it. A gift of this kind of service sounds like it might solve part of the problem if accessing a washing machine is an issue for them.

Or invite Julie and her Roy to bring ALL of their laundry when they visit and let her know that the machines will be available for their use.

Oh no put their nasties in your washing machine ? No way in the green earth would I let someone put their dirtys in my washer or dryer .

Old 10-06-2016, 05:46 PM

538 posts, read 540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP post is what doesn't pass the "smell test". It's a joke post.

Nobody who bathes twice a week, is going to smell THAT bad. And as the father of two daughters, I can tell you that it's rare to find a teenage girl who isn't meticulous about her hygiene. Our two almost drove me nuts over throwing out the soaps and shampoos that the wife would buy. Not good enough!

If the OP isn't a joke post (I say it is....) [Me too] then "How To Deal" is obsessed with cleanliness and fresh-smelling to the point of unnaturalness. HE (not she) is just having a good time at our expense.

Why so many of these troll posts, lately?

Old 10-06-2016, 06:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,358,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP post is what doesn't pass the "smell test". It's a joke post.

Nobody who bathes twice a week, is going to smell THAT bad. And as the father of two daughters, I can tell you that it's rare to find a teenage girl who isn't meticulous about her hygiene. Our two almost drove me nuts over throwing out the soaps and shampoos that the wife would buy. Not good enough!

If the OP isn't a joke post (I say it is....) then "How To Deal" is obsessed with cleanliness and fresh-smelling to the point of unnaturalness. HE (not she) is just having a good time at our expense.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:00 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,986,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Deal View Post
(Made up names) Our daughter (Julie) and her fiancee (Roy) live together and are both gainfully employed and in their early twenties. They met in art school and have been together for years. I don't know if it's an art school or hipster thing but their personal hygiene is gross, especially her fiancee. He bathes maybe twice (?) a week and wears the same clothes 4-5 times before laundry is done. Even after he bathes he puts on dirty clothes. Their excuses for not doing laundry more often were they were poor and the machines in the building were always broken. I remember being a broke undergraduate/graduate student but always made sure I did my laundry and took a shower every day.

My wife has talked to our daughter about personal hygiene forever!!! While growing up, Julie would become engrossed in her drawing/painting/whatever and forget to take a nightly bath unless reminded even in high school. While visiting home on break from art school, we'd gently remind her to take a shower. She was compliant and as of late, been much better about not smelling up the house when she comes to visit.

When we go visit them (a several hour drive to the other side of the state) Roy just stinks. I can't stand it. I can't stand going in their apartment because it reeks of dirty laundry. Interestingly, their apartment is not cluttered, it's fairly neat, there's some cat hair compliments of their cat. But their bedroom is a mess of dirty laundry every time we visit.

We taught her to do her laundry when she was 10 or 11. From that time, she was responsible (as was her older sister) for doing her own laundry.

Now, as the holidays are approaching, we're going to be making plans for family to visit or us going to visit family. As much as I don't want to say it, I really don't want Julie and Roy to stay with us for several days or even a couple of days, if he doesn't bathe.

I really love these kids! They're brilliant and talented - I love Skyping with them because I can see and talk to them without having to smell Roy's awful body odor.

I'm trying to put myself in his shoes and imagine what it would feel like if his future parents in laws say to him, "Please take a shower and wear clean clothes before you visit us" or "It's really hard for me to visit you at your apartment anymore because it reeks of dirty laundry."

FYI - don't tell me to "man up" or talk to Roy "man to man" because I'm a woman legally married to my wife. My wife is the bio mom and I came into the picture when the girls were 7 & 9 years old.
Dealing with some wicked stank huh? Yeah, I have a hard time being nice to people in that situation. It's disgusting and pure laziness.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,892,663 times
Not necessarily a troll post. Many people with mental illness have poor personal hygiene. People with Bipolar Depression or major depression just don't care enough to clean up. And then as said above, they get nose-blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships