Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 11:15 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,439,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're also correct(good catch), someone who bathes twice a week isn't going to smell that bad or smell at all.
But not bathing plus wearing dirty clothes might not lead to pleasant aromas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,247,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Deal View Post
(Made up names) Our daughter (Julie) and her fiancee (Roy) live together and are both gainfully employed and in their early twenties. They met in art school and have been together for years. I don't know if it's an art school or hipster thing but their personal hygiene is gross, especially her fiancee. He bathes maybe twice (?) a week and wears the same clothes 4-5 times before laundry is done. Even after he bathes he puts on dirty clothes. Their excuses for not doing laundry more often were they were poor and the machines in the building were always broken. I remember being a broke undergraduate/graduate student but always made sure I did my laundry and took a shower every day.

My wife has talked to our daughter about personal hygiene forever!!! While growing up, Julie would become engrossed in her drawing/painting/whatever and forget to take a nightly bath unless reminded even in high school. While visiting home on break from art school, we'd gently remind her to take a shower. She was compliant and as of late, been much better about not smelling up the house when she comes to visit.

When we go visit them (a several hour drive to the other side of the state) Roy just stinks. I can't stand it. I can't stand going in their apartment because it reeks of dirty laundry. Interestingly, their apartment is not cluttered, it's fairly neat, there's some cat hair compliments of their cat. But their bedroom is a mess of dirty laundry every time we visit.

We taught her to do her laundry when she was 10 or 11. From that time, she was responsible (as was her older sister) for doing her own laundry.

Now, as the holidays are approaching, we're going to be making plans for family to visit or us going to visit family. As much as I don't want to say it, I really don't want Julie and Roy to stay with us for several days or even a couple of days, if he doesn't bathe.

I really love these kids! They're brilliant and talented - I love Skyping with them because I can see and talk to them without having to smell Roy's awful body odor.

I'm trying to put myself in his shoes and imagine what it would feel like if his future parents in laws say to him, "Please take a shower and wear clean clothes before you visit us" or "It's really hard for me to visit you at your apartment anymore because it reeks of dirty laundry."

FYI - don't tell me to "man up" or talk to Roy "man to man" because I'm a woman legally married to my wife. My wife is the bio mom and I came into the picture when the girls were 7 & 9 years old.

The bolded is what makes me wonder about the validity of this post. If they're gainfully employed, how do they not have a few bucks to go do at least 2 small loads? Are there no laundromats where they live other than the machines in their building?

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
I find it hard to believe that they could smell THAT bad if they are bathing twice a week. I know everyone is different, but I would think they'd have to be vigorously exercising then not bathing to smell that bad.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:23 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,321,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by How To Deal View Post
(Made up names) Our daughter (Julie) and her fiancee (Roy) live together and are both gainfully employed and in their early twenties. They met in art school and have been together for years. I don't know if it's an art school or hipster thing but their personal hygiene is gross, especially her fiancee. He bathes maybe twice (?) a week and wears the same clothes 4-5 times before laundry is done. Even after he bathes he puts on dirty clothes. Their excuses for not doing laundry more often were they were poor and the machines in the building were always broken. I remember being a broke undergraduate/graduate student but always made sure I did my laundry and took a shower every day.

My wife has talked to our daughter about personal hygiene forever!!! While growing up, Julie would become engrossed in her drawing/painting/whatever and forget to take a nightly bath unless reminded even in high school. While visiting home on break from art school, we'd gently remind her to take a shower. She was compliant and as of late, been much better about not smelling up the house when she comes to visit.

When we go visit them (a several hour drive to the other side of the state) Roy just stinks. I can't stand it. I can't stand going in their apartment because it reeks of dirty laundry. Interestingly, their apartment is not cluttered, it's fairly neat, there's some cat hair compliments of their cat. But their bedroom is a mess of dirty laundry every time we visit.

We taught her to do her laundry when she was 10 or 11. From that time, she was responsible (as was her older sister) for doing her own laundry.

Now, as the holidays are approaching, we're going to be making plans for family to visit or us going to visit family. As much as I don't want to say it, I really don't want Julie and Roy to stay with us for several days or even a couple of days, if he doesn't bathe.

I really love these kids! They're brilliant and talented - I love Skyping with them because I can see and talk to them without having to smell Roy's awful body odor.

I'm trying to put myself in his shoes and imagine what it would feel like if his future parents in laws say to him, "Please take a shower and wear clean clothes before you visit us" or "It's really hard for me to visit you at your apartment anymore because it reeks of dirty laundry."

FYI - don't tell me to "man up" or talk to Roy "man to man" because I'm a woman legally married to my wife. My wife is the bio mom and I came into the picture when the girls were 7 & 9 years old.

I would just grab the hose and hose 'em down before I let 'em in the house.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:53 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,339,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
Wow! 61 years on this earth, and I just learned washing machines are for clean clothes only. Who knew?

I wonder how people dealt with diapers before disposables were invented?

LOL! I thought the same thing. Seriously run the empty washer with a little detergent and bleach if you are so concerned. But I agree this is probably just another fake post. They are becoming easier and easier to spot.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:06 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,321,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
LOL! I thought the same thing. Seriously run the empty washer with a little detergent and bleach if you are so concerned. But I agree this is probably just another fake post. They are becoming easier and easier to spot.
I thought the whole lesbian comment was an attempt to make the post sound more realistic too. It was a nice touch but totally unnecessary.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:15 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh no put their nasties in your washing machine ? No way in the green earth would I let someone put their dirtys in my washer or dryer .
So, you wash only clean clothes??

Old 10-07-2016, 07:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,242,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Does anyone think that as bohemians, they simply don't care? I know we've been raised to shower once or twice a day and to wash our hair far more than is healthy for it. Yes, I guess if they stink they must be dirty but as adults, I can't believe no one else has EVER said something to them...I think they know but they have far more important things to do.

Work around it...only eat in beer gardens or outdoor patio restaurants.
Give them a motel room when they visit. And rent a motel when you go visit them.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,777,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh no put their nasties in your washing machine ? No way in the green earth would I let someone put their dirtys in my washer or dryer .
So do you hand wash all your clothes before you wash them in the machine?

I guess I've been doing it all wrong...

Goodness...I always allowed my college kids to bring home their long unwashed items to launder, and I've even let guests who've stayed with me throw in a load or 2.

I don't see what the problem is...

Please enlighten us.

Old 10-07-2016, 10:17 PM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You know, I think I'd just say what you feel. You love these kids, and they probably know that, so just tell them. Start off by telling them you love them, then tell them what the problem is and ask them to help you find a solution. Tell them what you would like to have happen and ask them if they can accommodate your request.

This problem isn't going to solve itself, so you and your wife are going to have to take the first step.

Just tell them. But you're going to have to decide what will happen if they cannot or will not comply. You'll have to tell them about that, too. For anything to change, you're going to have to have this conversation.
Amen

No excuse for this behavior
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships