Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2016, 09:25 PM

52,338 posts, read 52,791,864 times

Advertisements

Smelly hippies is no bueno... not sure how to help here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 10:29 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,607,555 times
I am scent sensitive and have to have the "smell" talk quite often. My issue is regarding people who wear offensive cologne, scented lotion or even overly scented deodorant. Your issue is similar, it's dealing with how to have that awkward talk.

Ask Julie's mother to talk to her privately and start the convo with, "you may not realize this, but you and Roy have noticeable body odor". I'm afraid we won't be able to host and/or visit unless it's corrected. Mom and I love you very much and really do want to spend time with you".

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2016, 04:02 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,351,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Not necessarily a troll post. Many people with mental illness have poor personal hygiene. People with Bipolar Depression or major depression just don't care enough to clean up. And then as said above, they get nose-blind.
One single post, then no follow-ups. Usually a long fantastic story that stirs up the crowd. Sometimes they come back to post more stupid stuff, adding random remarks to keep the ball rolling.

Old 10-07-2016, 05:47 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,980,743 times
I truly think there must be some college class assignment or someone is working on a 'plausible story generator' program or something with all the 'yeah, it 'could' be true but something is a bit off here' type OPs I see here. I agree with Nor'easter, and hunterseat.

However, just in case the OP is actually listening or cares about our responses, I will say two things:

1) The program still needs a bit of tuning up. SIL can mean son-in-law or sister-in-law. Fiancee (usually with an accent ague on the first e) is the word to use for a woman. Fiance is the form of the word to use when the object is a man. I found the title/beginning of your dilemma post a mite confusing because of those two things - the abbreviation and then the incorrect word usage to describe 'Roy' who is presumably male or at least identifies as one. Oh and I agree .. who YOU are/what YOUR marital status is .. has nothing to do with anything here and in fact makes the whole story look like a foil for what you really want to talk about and inflame people about. Most of us don't really give a hoot though .. so ... sorry .. not biting.

2) The 'environmental' gurus might say .. save water, save the planet. Who could ever criticize that? In fact, it was only in fairly modern times that people actually began to bathe regularly - the whole world was stinky and covered up with 'other smells' as a result. Perhaps you are the one who is too sensitive? It may actually not be that good for our skin to constantly be washing it anyway - though using some way to cleanse the smellier parts once in a while when one will be in the company of others is a nice 'social grace' I think.

And one last thing: If you don't like it, don't go near it. You may tell them to stay elsewhere or spray them down at the door or insist on them showering when they come to your house - but don't ever go to their place and criticize. Just my two cents worth.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:50 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP post is what doesn't pass the "smell test". It's a joke post.

Nobody who bathes twice a week, is going to smell THAT bad. And as the father of two daughters, I can tell you that it's rare to find a teenage girl who isn't meticulous about her hygiene. Our two almost drove me nuts over throwing out the soaps and shampoos that the wife would buy. Not good enough!

If the OP isn't a joke post (I say it is....) then "How To Deal" is obsessed with cleanliness and fresh-smelling to the point of unnaturalness. HE (not she) is just having a good time at our expense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post

Why so many of these troll posts, lately?
Am I the only person who gets dinged and kicked out of c-d when I dare use the tr0ll word?!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:37 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,763,018 times
^^^ nope!

Old 10-07-2016, 08:47 AM

8,278 posts, read 8,677,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I am scent sensitive and have to have the "smell" talk quite often. My issue is regarding people who wear offensive cologne, scented lotion or even overly scented deodorant. Your issue is similar, it's dealing with how to have that awkward talk.

Ask Julie's mother to talk to her privately and start the convo with, "you may not realize this, but you and Roy have noticeable body odor". I'm afraid we won't be able to host and/or visit unless it's corrected. Mom and I love you very much and really do want to spend time with you".

Good luck!
In your case the problem is on your end. I don't think you should have the talk with anyone.

Old 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,432,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh no put their nasties in your washing machine ? No way in the green earth would I let someone put their dirtys in my washer or dryer .
Wow! 61 years on this earth, and I just learned washing machines are for clean clothes only. Who knew?

I wonder how people dealt with diapers before disposables were invented?

Old 10-07-2016, 09:30 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,412,657 times
Does anyone think that as bohemians, they simply don't care? I know we've been raised to shower once or twice a day and to wash our hair far more than is healthy for it. Yes, I guess if they stink they must be dirty but as adults, I can't believe no one else has EVER said something to them...I think they know but they have far more important things to do.

Work around it...only eat in beer gardens or outdoor patio restaurants.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,668,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
The OP post is what doesn't pass the "smell test". It's a joke post.

Nobody who bathes twice a week, is going to smell THAT bad. And as the father of two daughters, I can tell you that it's rare to find a teenage girl who isn't meticulous about her hygiene. Our two almost drove me nuts over throwing out the soaps and shampoos that the wife would buy. Not good enough!

If the OP isn't a joke post (I say it is....) then "How To Deal" is obsessed with cleanliness and fresh-smelling to the point of unnaturalness. HE (not she) is just having a good time at our expense.

Think you're right. First time poster asks for advice on a very odd situation and never comes back to the board.

Anyone who starts a thread asking for advice for a real situation is usually back on the thread quickly, not posts and than bolts.

You're also correct(good catch), someone who bathes twice a week isn't going to smell that bad or smell at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships