Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:02 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,681,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
"Im trying to think of ways to fix this because I would love to keep her and her family in my life as I consider them basically like family. Btw I am a very non-confrontational person."

This is how the OP ended her post. It sounds to me like she is trying to salvage something that is or once was of value to her. My advice was predicated on the OP's self description as non-confrontational. Only the OP can know here what is of value from any of us. She may never come back on and tell us which is the habit of first time posters. I'm not going to get into a disagreement over my post. It was very specific to the OP's situation as described. I stand by it.
You know what? Most people who have learned to speak up for themselves were once all doormats.

I was. The advice above you was good, you say "sorry, I can't", with no details. The minute you give details with the pushy types they counteract what you're saying.

The OP gave no details as to what benefit she gets from this woman. But certainly goes into detail about how she babysits for free, drives her long distances, etc.

Perhaps the OP didn't have a mother who was a good mother, and for that I am sorry.

But find people where there is an equal exchange.

You can't go through life letting people take advantage of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
I can only see this situation as getting worse and worse as she takes you even more for granted.

I had a "friend" like this who always wanted me to drive her to lunches/dinners/meetings, usually combined with errands, and she lived quite a distance from me. There was nothing wrong with her driving abilities. The red flag went up when she stopped asking and starting just inquiring what time I would be picking her up. I started to cheerfully say I would be meeting her at the restaurant (or whatever) - no excuse given. When she pressed, I simply said I could not drive her back and forth and repeated I would see her there.

I never said "sorry" as I wasn't doing anything wrong and it sounded regretful, which I wasn't. She tried to bum rides from others, all of whom also resisted. Eventually she drove herself or her retired husband did.

Free babysitting is off the table unless it is a reciprocal arrangement - words of advice don't pay for your time.
That's the way you do it.

Once you start in with an excuse they find a way to "solve it" for you.....LOL.

I know, I learned the hard way "sorry, can't do it".....and no more.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:08 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,702,786 times
No one deserves to be used and taken advantage of. Speak up and let your feelings be heard. On here, in a public forum, nothing will get accomplished.
Good luck

Old 10-24-2016, 03:55 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,517,844 times
The relationship you are describing sounds weird. If she is mentor, kind of like your mom, she should be much older. Yet how does she have small kids that need babysitting.

so she's not that old, yet you placed her on a pedestal. Get her down!

A real friend does not expect you to do things. You can find here honest advice. Start by saying no to her. Don't be weak and intimidating. She is using you.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:53 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,982,748 times
Buy an 'I am not a doormat' t-shirt and wear it proudly to your next 'meeting'?

Old 10-24-2016, 05:50 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,013,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty78 View Post
Im trying to think of ways to fix this because I would love to keep her and her family in my life as I consider them basically like family. Btw I am a very non-confrontational person.
Isn't it possible that she considers you basically like family, too? Maybe these things she wants you to do (give her rides, watch her kids) are things she would ask of her own daughter.

Perhaps like an adult daughter, you should set some boundaries. But if what you say is true, there's no need to cut her off entirely. Nor does it make her a "taker."

Old 10-24-2016, 06:01 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,050,180 times
Why do you want to salvage this relationship?

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,155,425 times
So you expect all the benefits and favors to accrue to you, without ever doing anything in return? Everything one-sided for you?

Seems that some favors from you are reasonable. If it goes beyond reasonable, you're free to say that you're not available.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Isn't it possible that she considers you basically like family, too? Maybe these things she wants you to do (give her rides, watch her kids) are things she would ask of her own daughter.

Perhaps like an adult daughter, you should set some boundaries. But if what you say is true, there's no need to cut her off entirely. Nor does it make her a "taker."
OP won't have to cut her off, probably the first time she speaks up and says "sorry, I can't" will most likely be the end to this "friendship". That's what happens with these people who always need favors. You can oblige them 9 times, but if on the 10th time you can't or won't, you're the bad guy.

And it takes awhile (if you're sincere about it) to start considering people family. The OP was never clear on how long she knows this woman, but I bet it's not too long.

This is a user. If she gets a "tude" when the OP can't meet the latest request, she will be in the wind. The good news is the OP knows and also knows next time to be more selective.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:59 PM

277 posts, read 329,191 times
OP, I feel for you. I really do.

Have gone through any number of " friends " who were just taking advantage of me. Not really worth getting into the details as I don't like to remember being a doormat way back in my twenties.

Once I decided I was no longer going to be taken advantage of a fair number of these people removed themselves from my life. I no longer served a purpose.

I really do hope you will see what is happening to you in this relationship and say " enough! ". The world is filled with people who search out those they can boss around. Sadly, one of these people found you and think nothing of ordering you around. This isn't friendship and it isn't respect.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships