Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 06:55 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,116,583 times

Advertisements

You need to change your perspective about this.

The actual experience itself was the important part and you're very lucky that someone else was taking the pictures so you could be fully present in the moment while it was going on. If all you were doing was looking at it through a camera lense, it would've been a very limited vantage point of the whole experience. And it definitely would not be the same as seeing it all from beginning to end uninterrupted and unencumbered by a camera.

I am very guilty of allowing my desire to hoard pictures of my experiences to take over my ability to be there present in the moment. The biggest offending events are concerts. I am literally taking picture after picture during the whole show and pretty much missing the whole thing! It drives my friend who comes with me to every show crazy! This one time she yelled at me that I was missing the entire thing cause I was so busy taking pics and in that moment I realized she was right.

I still take pics during shows, but I try as much as I can to limit it so I can see the performance and be fully present as it's unfolding in front of me. I've shelled out thousands of dollars on concerts so it's necessary to give myself a wake-up call every once in a while.

So anyway, my point is, it's the experience itself - the being there and truly being aware of every detail and every feeling you're having in that moment - that really counts. Pictures are great but you can also just buy post cards and download more professional pics from online that will be far better quality after the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,605,202 times
I agree with LiaLia. It's possible they are not receiving your emails. Or, perhaps they are unable to send an attachment and are too embarrassed to reply.

Do you know anyone else in India who can send an email on your behalf. I'd consider that a last ditch effort. Then let it go!

Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 AM

404 posts, read 385,991 times
I agree with what others have said. Who knows what they're dealing with. They could have had a death in the family.

Heck, they could be dead.

Take it as a learning lesson and don't rely on others.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:49 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,005,317 times
It's not like you went on the trip just to get a picture. You had the experience. You don't really need the picture. Don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I wanted to sit around looking at pics of me from past vacations. You just don't need it, so just get over it and forget about it.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:54 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,394,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I feel awful for trusting them. They seemed like nice folks but turned out to be such jerks. I am depressed now and looking for ways to cope with this disaster.

This was a bucket list adventure for me and I have no pucs of it. I now will have to plan to go back but probably not going to happen for a few years at least

Any similar thing happen to anyone here? Why are people such jerks? If they had not made false promises would've just used my own cam!!
Wow--strong words. I don't think they are "jerks". People are busy. They have not put the same importance of it as you have.

I am sorry this happened to you. However--your trip of a lifetime lives in your heart and memories.

Cope by sitting back in a quiet spot and reliving the moment in your memory of the event.
It will make you feel happy.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:01 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,360,903 times
This did happen to me once. I used to have nightmares about flying over water and falling. There was at a time in my life when I was facing some fears and very anxious. I decided on a trip to Florida I would go parasailing to "face a fear." My son agreed to go with me. The other family on the boat agreed to take some pictures of us. They had my email address, but I never did get the pics. Oh, well. Still remember the awesome moments with my son.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,427,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I took another waterproof backup cam that I had but it had a weak battery.
Is there no such thing as personal responsibility here? Why are you blaming this other couple for you not making sure you had enough fresh batteries before you went in the first place?

Old 10-28-2016, 09:49 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,387,837 times
What if they hadn't offered to help? You'd be in the same position you're in now. So write it off and move on with your life. Check back with them with a polite email at a decent interval and let it go. You were not entitled to their free photography services, and if they cannot follow through on what they offered, that's not really something you get to quibble over as you have no idea what may or may not be going on in their lives.

Look, I'll be blunt: If you go through life with this kind of attitude, you will end up living a very unhappy life.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:51 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,687,508 times
I lost a camera on a trip of a lifetime and while I did pick up a new camera later on during the trip, there were some days where I simply don't have pictures. Does that somehow mean I didn't have the experience or make the experience less valid? Absolutely not!

Most of the time when I talk about the trip- it's just that. I talk about it. I'm not showing pictures of it to other people. I'm just recounting my experiences of what I experienced with my own 5 senses. Those are still more important to me than the pictures I ended up taking. I think about that trip fondly, but rarely ever look at the pictures I took now that it's been 11 years since the trip.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,478,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
It's not like you went on the trip just to get a picture. You had the experience. You don't really need the picture. Don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I wanted to sit around looking at pics of me from past vacations. You just don't need it, so just get over it and forget about it.
But how is she gonna post it on Facebook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships