Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 10:00 PM

2,504 posts, read 1,882,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen88 View Post
What if he forgot and used his left foot first?
Don't know.....he'd probably have to run around the house five times backwards or something. Or maybe something as simple as go out the back door and come back in the front door "properly". There was usually a way to overcome these little faux pas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 10:59 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,046,948 times
The blackeyed peas, ham hocks, and collards on New Year's Day is called Hoppin' John. The blackeyed peas are for health and the collards for wealth. We still eat it every year.

I have one that makes me chuckle. My Dad, who is black, had some really premature grey back in the day. Well, as you imagine, it was quite a contrast. I was very young and it seemed to pop up overnight (likely I was just being unobsevant as young children are). I asked him what happened and he claimed he spilled white paint in his hair painting the barn. I believed that for years and even became a little paranoid about being near paint thinking if it got in my hair, it would never come out!

Old 11-30-2016, 01:50 AM

3,260 posts, read 2,352,775 times
My mother and grandmother believed if you go outside with wet hair you'll catch your 'death of pneumonia'.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
My dearly departed grandmother told me rubbing Vicks on my chest would cure colds faster. I have no idea if it's true, but I use it to this day. It reminds me of her, and her memory cures much of what ails me, no matter what it is
My mother would rub Vicks on chest and put a clothe over it before I went to bed. I think she believed it would help with congestion. I hated it, it felt funny and smelled worse.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Most of these come from my Aunt who was full of strange quotes and odd ideas, but a very kind and loving person as well.

Sitting on concrete steps will give you hemorrhoids unless you put newspaper on the step.
If you drop a fork someone will come visit.
Eating bread crust gives curly hair, it's bad luck to put a loaf of bread upside down and a sin to throw away stale bread.
Fish is brain food.
My college roommate believed if you sat on concrete, or the ground, when it was cold you would get a cold in your bladder. Her elderly parents told her that and she believed it.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:31 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,295,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Probably it directly. But it would make sense that some habits were adapted from British customs in the south.
And it goes back further than that! The ancient Romans had customs regarding New Year's, first footer and sweeping stuff out the door at midnight.

But that probably came from something before that! As another poster pointed out with the biblical stuff I mentioned...

Old 11-30-2016, 05:41 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,888,714 times
My mother, although she was from an upper midddle class background, had that weird habit of talking slang whenever she could, I guess it made her feel more "interesting" and "in the move"...

Old 11-30-2016, 07:25 AM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Most of these come from my Aunt who was full of strange quotes and odd ideas, but a very kind and loving person as well.

Sitting on concrete steps will give you hemorrhoids unless you put newspaper on the step.
If you drop a fork someone will come visit.
Eating bread crust gives curly hair, it's bad luck to put a loaf of bread upside down and a sin to throw away stale bread.
Fish is brain food.
I got the crust/curly hair thing, too, from my grandmother. I hated the crust and always cut it off, and I had the most unruly, godawful curly hair you ever saw.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:29 AM

88,733 posts, read 85,100,154 times
I had a friend who wouldn't go to a wake when she was pregnant because the spirit of the dead person might jump into her baby.

She had a lot of weird superstitions and ways of thinking. NYC Irish descent.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 AM

6,812 posts, read 6,965,904 times
My Sicilian mother had quite a few odd beliefs...

If you have a cold, you can't shower or wash your hair (yuck....nothing worse feeling dirty w/ greasy hair on top of being sick)

If you got a bump on your head from falling or getting struck on the head, she would take a cold butter knife and press the swelling 'back in'. (ouch....that was not fun)

When we moved, she would rub butter on the cats paws before letting him outside for the first time. She believed the cat would not get lost that way. (that may have some truth to it, as the cat would smell the butter his footprints would leave and he'd find his way back home. We never lost a cat btw.)

If you make a face, it will stay that way.

Left hand itches - you will get in an argument
Right hand itches - you will receive money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships