Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:04 AM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,482 times

Advertisements

I think some still don't get it. To those that say what you give matters and what you receive doesn't I think this thread proves you wrong. Most of the people don't like these exchanges because of the people who think buying something like a set of coasters and dividing it into four separate gifts is OK. It does matter. It always matters how you treat other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 10:13 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,699,480 times
My office consists of 15 people who get along well with each other. It's the best atmosphere I've been lucky to be associated.

I mentioned the idea of a gift exchange and everyone was enthusiastic and participated.

The gifts, by themselves, aren't really the point and I made sure to stress that aspect when describing it. The point is, to have a little fun, share a few laughs and see what interesting things pop-up during the exchange.

No one was obligated to participate and all of the gifts were reasonable, but in the end, it was the spirit of the game that made it successful.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,907,167 times
I think they're fun when they're described as white elephant and everyone plays by that rule. It's kind of fun to see what tacky, useless things people can find for under 10 bucks. It should be a team building thing/fun time not a real opportunity to get or give nice gifts

Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
I've never participated in a gift exchange. It's just not my thing. Neither is exchanging Christmas gifts with my husband or friends. I don't even want birthday presents, unless it's something we can share. I'm just not into having a lot of clutter and things. I buy what I need and little else.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:17 PM

88,625 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The poster said if they don't drink. Many non alcoholics don't drink.

If the person is an alcoholic they can give the gift away before they leave the premises.
Yes, that's correct. The person did say a non-drinker. I was thinking of alcoholics because they seem to be everywhere in my life.

Alcoholics do have to learn to live in a world where alcohol is present. That's part of what they learn in recovery.

Because they are everywhere, I would tend not to buy a bottle of something for a grab-bag exchange, although I am NOT an alcoholic and would personally be happy to receive such a gift!

I am having one such exchange tonight with my theological study group. One guy is in recovery and I think a couple of others just don't drink, so I won't bring a bottle.

Old 12-20-2016, 01:58 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,670,999 times
We had ours today, and it was a lot of fun -- about 65 people participated, so the gifts were all over the place. Several "Moscow Mule" sets, scented candles, tools, car care stuff, and some really funny tacky stuff. One of the gifts was a bag with two boxes of SOS scrub pads in them. WTH? And on the other end of the spectrum was a foosball table! My expectations aren't terribly high for these sorts of things -- the fun comes in stealing gifts (the $25 Amazon gift card was very popular -- we have a limit on 3 steals per item.) It's just for the fun of it. We have a vendor who paid for a custom coffee stand for the employees -- free coffee, cappachino, espresso, and various liquors, another that brought designer doughnuts, so it was just a pleasant couple of hours laughing with co-workers.

I mean, really, who needs ANY of this stuff?!

Old 12-20-2016, 03:00 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
Asking this for the fun of it this holiday season. I didn't participate in the office gift exchange this year because I got ripped off last year. It's funny really. It had a thirty dollar or less rule, bring a gift if you want to participate. We bought a giant box of fancy chocolates and a good bottle of wine. Came away with what looked like a worn out box of regifted cheezy tea cups with gingerbread and Santas(I mean seriously worn out box like it had been shuffled around a while) and one tiny miniature casserole dish. I noticed lots of the gifts were just crap like this being given to people that all have houses and a fully stocked kitchen already. When it is said that its the thought that counts this actually means you are suppose to think about what someone might like to receive. Doesn't it? I was saying in another thread how people just exchange crap nobody wants. Does anyone think its fun to receive doo doo like this?
In my last job, we did a pollyanna, but we put our names on a paper along with a few gift suggestions of things we might like that would be within the limits. So I might put "Philadelphia Eagles Tee shirt size large, iTunes gift card, texting gloves in a brown shade, Lady Gaga's new CD, etc." so we wouldn't have to go crazy trying to think of what to get (when I worked at a school district, I once pulled the name of a 70 year old make teacher)

I wish everyone would do this, it made it so much easier and everyone was happy with their gifts. The person who pulled my name was a man from another country, and I am very sure he was relieved not to have to figure out what to get me...I probably would've gotten one of those bath bubbles sets or something, not because he didn't care, but really didn't know what women would want.

The only sort of gift exchange I truly despise are those ones where people get to steal other people's gifts. I just had to endure one of these things. I liked my gift and was number one, so I spent the rest of the hour scared my gift would get stolen. One girl really loved her gift, and the very next person stole it from her. I think it's a mean game.

[CENTER]SaveSaveSaveSave[/CENTER]

Old 12-20-2016, 03:21 PM

16,424 posts, read 12,529,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The only sort of gift exchange I truly despise are those ones where people get to steal other people's gifts. I just had to endure one of these things. I liked my gift and was number one, so I spent the rest of the hour scared my gift would get stolen. One girl really loved her gift, and the very next person stole it from her. I think it's a mean game.
In our version, #1 is the best number, because they get to go again at the very end and choose from all the gifts that aren't "dead" (stolen the maximum number of times)
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 12-20-2016, 03:26 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,132,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Seriously? Let's break your argument down point by point.

- First, you have a right to be offended. You also have a right to not attend. And, quite frankly, if you get up in arms about having selected a gift that offends your rarefied and delicate sensibilities, then perhaps you really need to lighten up.

- Second, it's really helpful to ascribe positive intentions to whomever bought the gift in the first place. People aren't going to the store looking to buy a gift intended to insult its recipient.

- Third, there's a major difference between being offended for legitimate things such as ethnic slurs and sexist comments and being in a snit over anything that falls outside your precious little thought bubble. This might amaze you, but kind, considerate, well-meaning, ethical, and moral people do not always share your worldview 100%. Something to consider before you deconstruct everything people say.
They think of others. Alcohol, even when given to a nonalcoholic, isn't a thoughtful gift.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:29 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,536,156 times
Nonononononono! They suck! Has nothing to do with the spirit of the season, if it's your belief system...otherwise, WHY? Status quo?? It's so stressful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships