Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 09:20 AM

8,107 posts, read 12,840,475 times

Advertisements

I just did all my Christmas shopping on Amazon; it took all of five minutes! I gift carded everyone and had it sent via e-mail. Tacky? Probably. Efficient? Yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 09:33 AM

51,026 posts, read 36,735,609 times
I sent my nephew a t-shirt from Amazon but I had it gift-wrapped. It was only $5.00 and the t-shirt was cheap. At the very least make sure you check the "this is a gift" box even if you don't wrap it, so they don't get the invoice with it.

I send unwrapped things directly to my nieces for their kids even though I see them at Christmas just because it's heavy or something, but in those cases I ask their mom if they wouldn't mind wrapping it for me.

Personally, I like at least a gift bag, I personally wouldn't hand someone a gift in person just in the bag from the store or in no bag or box, and I guess I don't see it as much different. If the $5.00 were really a hardship, fine, but personally I would spring for the gift wrap in most cases if it was for an occasion/holiday/birthday.

It's not that it's tacky, it's just that wrapping shows a little more thought was put into it and it wasn't just a "let me just One Click and get this person over with" kind of thing. If you care about the person enough to spend money on them in the first place, why not? I personally think it's more fun to unwrap a gift and I want my gifts to other people to be fun for them, too.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,397,561 times
LOL, I love to wrap everything. My Christmas gifts look amazing. My wife hates to wrap things. When we met she gave everything in gift bags. To me I think it means more if it is wrapped, especially if it is kids opening it. I think it matters less the older someone gets. For me though I love to wrap and would prefer to send it myself. Then again I am not buying anyone presents that does not live in my own home. I am cheap like that. LOL

Old 12-22-2016, 01:14 PM

51,026 posts, read 36,735,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
LOL, I love to wrap everything. My Christmas gifts look amazing. My wife hates to wrap things. When we met she gave everything in gift bags. To me I think it means more if it is wrapped, especially if it is kids opening it. I think it matters less the older someone gets. For me though I love to wrap and would prefer to send it myself. Then again I am not buying anyone presents that does not live in my own home. I am cheap like that. LOL
My best friend and her kids live in Tampa, and I used to end up spending $40 to mail them a box with $50 worth of stuff for Christmas. Now I send the kid's gifts by Amazon or Etsy and ask her to wrap them for me, and I let Amazon wrap hers.

I'm a terrible wrapper, and I don't have good scissor skills, lol. It always comes out uneven and baggy, and if I wrap 10 presents, on 4 of them I will measure and cut and still end up with a 1/4" gap. If you listen outside my door you'd hear "I can't believe I did this AGAIN" lol.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:30 PM

746 posts, read 882,242 times
Thank you everyone! I guess I'm the only one who thought it was tacky! Maybe I was just "old school", but I stand corrected. I feel better now-haha!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:11 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,408,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGS4EVER View Post
Do you think it's tacky to order a gift off of Amazon and have it shipped directly to the person even though it's going to be unwrapped? Or should you order from Amazon and send it to yourself so you can wrap them and then send them all together? You have plenty of time to do either one and get the gifts there by Christmas.
Depends. For my sons I would possible do that. Anyone else, no.

I think it is more personal to wrap and send it myself.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:22 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,416,099 times
Quote:
Do you think it's tacky to order a gift off of Amazon and have it shipped directly to the person even though it's going to be unwrapped? Or should you order from Amazon and send it to yourself so you can wrap them and then send them all together? You have plenty of time to do either one and get the gifts there by Christmas.
I always have it sent to myself first. I want to see what i'm giving. Sometimes the item looks different than the picture.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:46 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,415,273 times
but the best part of xmas is tearing the paper wrapping, sticking bows on the dogs head. trash everywhere

Old 12-22-2016, 05:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,170,401 times
Quote:
Thank you everyone! I guess I'm the only one who thought it was tacky! Maybe I was just "old school", but I stand corrected. I feel better now-haha!
I moved out of state years ago and learned very quickly to just have the items shipped from where I ever I buy them. Far less hassle and cost. I do appreciate when companies offer gift wrapping but I noticed this year, most did not. They offered a gift message. I received a lovely gift from my sister from my favorite shop that sells body lotion and soaps. The inside of the box had a design and the gift message was on the invoice. I wonder if she paid "extra" for that. It did not bother me at all. I was surprised by her thoughtfulness.

Here are some tips. If you buy multiple items they dont always ship at the same time. I was a tad disappointed when I sent my in-laws some coffee mugs, coffee and flavored syrup. All from the same company. Most will say items may ship separately but it did not. Each did ship separately and the first thing they got was the syrup. Then 3 days later, the mugs and the lastly the coffee. I wonder what my MIL thought when she opened the box to find a bottle of syrup.

I am old school, on the wrapping too I enjoy doing it and go the extra mile but like I said when it came to shipping gifts out of state, it was too much to buy items, wrap and then ship off from the post office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships