Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 07:37 PM

822 posts, read 2,204,213 times

Advertisements

Hello all my fellow CD people. I hope this holiday season is going well for you.

I have two random thoughts that I would like your thoughts on.

The first is this: "There are mainly two types of people in the world, those who will ask you "how was your day", and those that will say, "Guess how my day was?". To me the main difference basically people who are focused on others and not so "self centered" and the latter is very "self centered". IMO if you are going to get married you want to be in a relationship with a "how was your day" type of person.

The second random thought is this: Whenever you get sick and you are forced to be at work or social events for whatever reason and you cough, sneeze, etc... you will get two types of reactions. The non selfish people will say "I'm sorry you're sick" etc... the selfish people will say "don't get me sick". I understand not wanting to get sick, but in my opinion it is a rude thing to say to someone who is obviously not in a condition they want to be in. Anyway what are your thoughts? Not that any of this has any crazy significant meaning as it's just another in many threads on CD, but I'd still like your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 07:49 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
I've never in my entire life encountered anyone who says, "Guess how my day was".

Old 12-25-2016, 09:56 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,981,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
The first is this: "There are mainly two types of people in the world, those who will ask you "how was your day", and those that will say, "Guess how my day was?". To me the main difference basically people who are focused on others and not so "self centered" and the latter is very "self centered". IMO if you are going to get married you want to be in a relationship with a "how was your day" type of person.
The only time I would hear "Guess how my day was?" would be if it were egregiously bad. In which case, I would want to know what happened so I could sympathize.

But more to the point, there are people who are not cognizant of all the social niceties. It doesn't mean they don't care, they've just never had anyone teach them that it's polite to show that you care by asking someone how their day went.

I married such a man. He is that way for reasons I don't want to go into here. But he is teachable and he does care.

We have had many people wish us "Merry Christmas" this month. He invariably responds with, "You, too." So I took him aside and did a little playacting.

"Look at me and say `I love you.'"
"Okay, I love you."
"Ditto. Wait, you wanted to hear it back from me, right?" He nodded. "So try saying `Merry Christmas' back and see what happens."

And he's been doing it.

I think your litmus test doesn't give the results you think it does.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,533,345 times
I was just thinking, that people who are sick should not go out in public, and everyone they encounter will be thinking that, even if they don't say so.

As far as people who tell you how their day was vs. asking how yours was - I completely see your point here. Relationships need to be give and take. Each side having the right to talk about themselves, but also being capable of listening to someone else's problems, etc.

Old 12-25-2016, 11:34 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,130,621 times
Quote:
Hello all my fellow CD people. I hope this holiday season is going well for you.

The second random thought is this: Whenever you get sick and you are forced to be at work or social events for whatever reason and you cough, sneeze, etc... you will get two types of reactions. The non selfish people will say "I'm sorry you're sick" etc... the selfish people will say "don't get me sick". I understand not wanting to get sick, but in my opinion it is a rude thing to say to someone who is obviously not in a condition they want to be in. Anyway what are your thoughts? Not that any of this has any crazy significant meaning as it's just another in many threads on CD, but I'd still like your thoughts.
1. Narcissists, and I have no idea where you are finding these people.
2. "Too late, the doctor says I'm horribly contagious, but the boss wouldn't let me have the day off. Achoo.

Old 12-26-2016, 12:14 PM

450 posts, read 550,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never in my entire life encountered anyone who says, "Guess how my day was".
you have obviously never met my MIL...

Old 12-26-2016, 12:30 PM

4,005 posts, read 4,110,270 times
I haven't met anyone who asks me if I want to know about their day either.

No one wants to get sick. Where I work, we are all in cubicles. One department is on the other side of the room, and they sound like the TB Ward at a hospital. I try to keep healthy, but having them coughing like they are going to lose a lung worries me.

What irks me is that they get paid more than I do and they can get all the overtime they want. I can't. So basically they can afford to take time off to cough at home. If I get sick and have to take time off, I lose that income. I can't get overtime to make up for lost income. So I either lose the income or come to work sick.

Old 12-26-2016, 01:48 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,500,648 times
When someone is at work sick, I think that is different because they may not have the time off.

Optional social events are another story.

Old 12-26-2016, 02:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
Quote:

Well, I do not accept that there only these two kinds of people in the world.

Old 12-26-2016, 05:28 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,978,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metamorphosis View Post
I haven't met anyone who asks me if I want to know about their day either.

No one wants to get sick. Where I work, we are all in cubicles. One department is on the other side of the room, and they sound like the TB Ward at a hospital. I try to keep healthy, but having them coughing like they are going to lose a lung worries me.

What irks me is that they get paid more than I do and they can get all the overtime they want. I can't. So basically they can afford to take time off to cough at home. If I get sick and have to take time off, I lose that income. I can't get overtime to make up for lost income. So I either lose the income or come to work sick.
If I were you I would wear a mask all day long if they were sick across the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships