Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 11:09 AM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,485,655 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever invited family over dinner and they brought their own food? They weren't asked in advance either.

I had never had this happen to me and I'd never think of doing it either. I make some wonderful soup (broth based such as Chicken noodle, minestrone for example). However for this particular dish, a cream based soup is needed because it was placed in sourdough bread bowls and it would not absorb the all the broth. We served Clam Chowder and Tomato Bisque Soup in Bread Bowls which is traditionally served in bread bowls.

I was insulted when they walked in with their pot of soup...Then my spouse chose to eat theirs too!

It was funny when I looked over and ALL the water was absorbed in the bowl and all that was left was carrots, potatoes, and chicken chunks..

I would encourage people not to do this. It's very insulting to the host or hostess.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
OP, are you aware of any special dietary restrictions they may be dealing with? Health concerns, food allergies? Usually in such cases, the guests discuss it with the hostess, to at least give an apologetic forewarning.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:13 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Why not tell your husband and your guests how insulted you were?

Edited to add: Personally I would have declined the invitation or brought my own. I do not like clam chowder and tomato anything soup gives me severe heartburn and not worth the agony eating it just to be nice.

Last edited by CSD610; 01-08-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 11:18 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Usually that happens for two reasons...

1 - when the guest has dietary needs that are not accommodated by the hostess, or,
2 - when it is not made clear that the dinner is NOT pot luck.

Since you say this was family, discussing it with them is advised.

BTW - your husband was a good sport to eat theirs. I am sure it made them feel more at ease.

I am allergic to clam (among other things!) and extremely intolerant of tomato acids. Did you ask your guests of any food problems when you invited them?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:27 AM
pll pll started this thread

1,112 posts, read 2,485,655 times
No dietary restrictions involved.. Plus if it was the case would one night partaking destroy them? Are we that delicate that we can't be polite and partake?

Have I loved every meal I was served at dinner parties? Absolutely not! But I'd never stoop so low as to bring my own meal. Anymore it seems like a hostess is running a restaurant when having dinner parties with all peoples petty dietary needs.

Lesson learned and it's best to meet in restaurants anymore.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:31 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Were the bread bowl soups the only offerings you had for your guests?

I do agree that it's rude to bring food without consulting with the host/ess. More than likely, they've put effort into selecting a menu meant to complement and balance.

That said, if I knew that I were going to a party where the only offerings were a clam chowder and a tomato bisque in bread bowls, I'd be put in a very awkward situation. I don't eat clam chowder and I can't have the bread bowls. I would probably have some tomato bisque to be polite, but it wouldn't be my first choice, and a meal with no protein would leave me very unsatisfied. So either I would have to eat beforehand, or I would have to shorten my stay and leave to go eat something else. If they were aware of the menu, I can understand why they would feel driven to bring some additional food, though I question bringing a third soup.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
No dietary restrictions involved.. Plus if it was the case would one night partaking destroy them? Are we that delicate that we can't be polite and partake?
You're joking, right? If I put aside my dietary restrictions in order to be polite, I spend the entire night in the bathroom with horrible stomach cramps and relentless diarrhea. I'm not going to subject myself to that in an effort to be polite.

Last edited by hertfordshire; 01-08-2017 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post

Have I loved every meal I was served at dinner parties? Absolutely not! But I'd never stoop so low as to bring my own meal. Anymore it seems like a hostess is running a restaurant when having dinner parties with all peoples petty dietary needs.

Lesson learned and it's best to meet in restaurants anymore.
It might. Why would you think otherwise? An allergic reaction to a food can kill a person. If they have something like diverticulitis, a flare up could send them to the hospital and make them sick for days.

Do you know the difference between a "need" and a "want?" A "dietary need" is a need, and by definition, not petty.

Without knowing why they did this, I can't judge if this was rude, or not. I can tell you, your reaction is pretty rude, though. Why does it bother you so much?

Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Were the bread bowl soups the only offerings you had for your guests?

I do agree that it's rude to bring food without consulting with the host/ess. More than likely, they've put effort into selecting a menu meant to complement and balance.

That said, if I knew that I were going to a party where the only offerings were a clam chowder and a tomato bisque in bread bowls, I'd be put in a very awkward situation. I don't eat clam chowder and I can't have the bread bowls. I would probably have some tomato bisque to be polite, but it wouldn't be my first choice, and a meal with no protein would leave me very unsatisfied. So either I would have to eat beforehand, or I would have to shorten my stay and leave to go eat something else. If they were aware of the menu, I can understand why they would feel driven to bring some additional food, though I question bringing a third soup.
Yes, this. Maybe they were trying to satisfy their own needs, and not be impolite by demanding that you and everyone else also abide by them. A little communication could have gone a long way, I think.

Old 01-08-2017, 11:41 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Usually that happens for two reasons...

1 - when the guest has dietary needs that are not accommodated by the hostess, or,
2 - when it is not made clear that the dinner is NOT pot luck.

Since you say this was family, discussing it with them is advised.

BTW - your husband was a good sport to eat theirs. I am sure it made them feel more at ease.

I am allergic to clam (among other things!) and extremely intolerant of tomato acids. Did you ask your guests of any food problems when you invited them?
This was my assumption. He ate theirs to be polite, to remove any awkwardness that couple may have felt. That's what a good host does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships