Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,444,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
Did I do the wrong thing?
The only wrong thing you did was answer the door (or phone, or what-have-you). Just stop.

They can only drive you crazy if you give them the keys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
We both happen to go to the same place for therapy and that's when I run into them.
I thought about leaving it on their gate post.
Leave the jacket on the gate post before your next therapy appointment.

If they didn't get the hint, then in therapy when they ask for a ride home, tell them you won't be able to do anything for them anymore, and to keep the money. It's not worth the price.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You can still add "...between the sheets", though.
Haha, I've always used "in bed."

Old 01-09-2017, 01:51 PM

324 posts, read 388,608 times
You must be a saint! All the same, as you must know, it's time for you to stop, preferably today

Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 1,239 times
You just have to put your foot down and say NO...People only do what you allow them to....I can't stand FREE Loaders !!

Old 01-12-2017, 03:02 PM

20,770 posts, read 20,016,790 times
Bring it up in therapy.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,669,162 times
Quote:
There is an acquaintance I have that is really starting to bother me. They don't have a job or vehicle or even a phone. When I was younger one of my friends and this person were somewhat friends and my friend would sometimes give this person rides. They felt sorry for the person, so felt obligated to help.

The friend I had isn't around anymore, and for some reason, this person has decided that we are good buddies and has been asking me for things. (I suspect it's because they wore out their welcome with other people.)

First they needed money for their medicine and a ride to the pharmacy, which I gave them. I told them they could pay me back later (I wasn't expecting the money back, but felt bad for them this time). The next time I saw them they needed a ride to the bank to get their check cashed and they would pay me back. Then they said they needed money to cash the check. I gave some and waited. They cashed the check but said they needed change and I didn't have any. They asked to borrow my cell phone to call their mom, which I let them. While they were on the phone they got all upset and claimed their mom told them their daughter got hit by a truck. I didn't buy that much but I dropped them off where they wanted and decided to let it go.

When I checked my phone records, there was no call made other than the ones I made, BTW. So clearly that was all a ploy. I was quite frustrated and resolved not to give them any money or rides.

Then the latest time, they said they needed a ride and since they knew I was going the same way, could I please give them one. I told them I couldn't because I had things to do. Then they said they could wait and it was an emergency. When we were on the way, they claimed they wanted to stop at their mother's to let her know they were going, so I dropped them off. Then they claimed they had the money for me and needed change, so we stopped at their brothers for that. They claimed they would meet up with me at the gas station.

I waited almost 30 minutes and they didn't show up, so I decided to just leave.

Did I do the wrong thing? I didn't know what to do but it was getting ridiculous all of these stops.

At this point I don't care about the money, I just want them to stop bothering me. I am not their chauffeur service or Amscot! I feel bad because they left their jacket in my car and I didn't give them the ride, but I just did not feel right about the whole thing. If they want to give me my money back, than just give it back. If not, whatever.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I know in the past we dealt with it in my family as I have a cousin who won't work and has been on drugs. They were always asking people in my family for rides and we finally had to cut ties with them, because they would 'borrow' money.

I am wondering if this whole thing is just them trying to get more money, but I can't seem to figure it out. It's almost as if they are really trying to pay me back, but it's like every time they need change, need change.

I feel personally like it's their way of extorting money. I know for a fact they lied about the phone call.

Yes. You continued letting them use you. Personally, this debacle would have ended for me at - "They cashed the check but said they needed change and I didn't have any." They could have asked for change when cashing the check. This person had no intentions on paying you in the first place. Soooo, I'd of left them standing right there at the check cashing place looking crazy for trying to play me.

Old 01-16-2017, 03:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,673,019 times
Quote:
There is an acquaintance I have that is really starting to bother me. They don't have a job or vehicle or even a phone. When I was younger one of my friends and this person were somewhat friends and my friend would sometimes give this person rides. They felt sorry for the person, so felt obligated to help.

The friend I had isn't around anymore, and for some reason, this person has decided that we are good buddies and has been asking me for things. (I suspect it's because they wore out their welcome with other people.)

First they needed money for their medicine and a ride to the pharmacy, which I gave them. I told them they could pay me back later (I wasn't expecting the money back, but felt bad for them this time). The next time I saw them they needed a ride to the bank to get their check cashed and they would pay me back. Then they said they needed money to cash the check. I gave some and waited. They cashed the check but said they needed change and I didn't have any. They asked to borrow my cell phone to call their mom, which I let them. While they were on the phone they got all upset and claimed their mom told them their daughter got hit by a truck. I didn't buy that much but I dropped them off where they wanted and decided to let it go.

When I checked my phone records, there was no call made other than the ones I made, BTW. So clearly that was all a ploy. I was quite frustrated and resolved not to give them any money or rides.

Then the latest time, they said they needed a ride and since they knew I was going the same way, could I please give them one. I told them I couldn't because I had things to do. Then they said they could wait and it was an emergency. When we were on the way, they claimed they wanted to stop at their mother's to let her know they were going, so I dropped them off. Then they claimed they had the money for me and needed change, so we stopped at their brothers for that. They claimed they would meet up with me at the gas station.

I waited almost 30 minutes and they didn't show up, so I decided to just leave.

Did I do the wrong thing? I didn't know what to do but it was getting ridiculous all of these stops.

At this point I don't care about the money, I just want them to stop bothering me. I am not their chauffeur service or Amscot! I feel bad because they left their jacket in my car and I didn't give them the ride, but I just did not feel right about the whole thing. If they want to give me my money back, than just give it back. If not, whatever.

Has anyone dealt with this before? I know in the past we dealt with it in my family as I have a cousin who won't work and has been on drugs. They were always asking people in my family for rides and we finally had to cut ties with them, because they would 'borrow' money.

I am wondering if this whole thing is just them trying to get more money, but I can't seem to figure it out. It's almost as if they are really trying to pay me back, but it's like every time they need change, need change.

I feel personally like it's their way of extorting money. I know for a fact they lied about the phone call.

You sound on the young side.

Learn this " fool me once, shame on you,
fool me twice, shame on ME".

Old 01-16-2017, 03:38 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,673,019 times
[quote=convextech;46767162]The only wrong thing you did was answer the door (or phone, or what-have-you). Just stop.

They can only drive you crazy if you give them the keys.[/QUOTE]

Never heard that one before, love it!

Old 01-16-2017, 05:19 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,312,847 times
People like this reminds me of the children's book "If you give a mouse a cookie he is going to want a glass of milk".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships