Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 01:44 AM

49,927 posts, read 60,081,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm not familiar with Pei Wei or restaurants with cordoned off lines. Maybe that's where my disconnect is coming from?
You know, it's similar to "cafeteria style, where the entrance leads you into this longish order line that is walled off from the dining room, where you place your order at a register and follow the walled-off line around to the drink station.

It's an order-of-operations concept that works on the assumption that, once everyone is done ordering and getting a drink, they move to a table. So I think that's where the concept of "skipping" the queue comes in.

People of course are free to skip the queue altogether and claim a table before ordering, when they walk in (few people do this where I live), or go back to the drink station AFTER claiming a table (more people do this).

But most people don't confront people about it like the woman in the OP did. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 03:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,074,957 times
It has nothing to do with 'dibs' and everything to do with 'first come, first serve'.

I wouldn't have moved because she said something...if she wanted that table, she should've left her house earlier.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:17 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,081,096 times
OP, I am with you completely. Not worth fighting over. I try to treat everyone I encounter with love and compassion, not because of any religious beliefs (I am not religious) but because it makes MY life so much better and happier. All you "stand your ground - don't give up the booth" posters should try it sometime.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM

30,695 posts, read 18,337,735 times
I don't know. I guess it would depend on the vibe I felt. If this person seemed like a loose cannon ready to go off at any second, I'd back away (its not worth taking chances with such loons, in my view). In any case, behavior like that is completely disgusting.

Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,792,095 times
I probably would have nervously laughed and stayed put. The lady behaved oddly.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:22 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,782,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
How so? The other woman ordered first, but did the courteous thing and finished getting her food and drink before claiming a table. What the OP did is the same as claiming the table before she ordered. She jumped the queue.
The idea that it is rude to select a table before you get your food and drink is absolutely risible.

So I guess we should stand around in restaurants and place our orders before we are seated? That isn't the way most restaurants work. Some cafeterias and buffets, maybe. But not any restaurant I've ever been in does things this way, making you stand around until your order comes out.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:27 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,782,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's just a table seat, a moment in what may be a long, serene lifetime.

The story and people's suggestion that you speak up for it reminds me of an experience nearly forty years ago when I was young and feisty. Well, and still had the energy for such trivialities.

It was the dead of winter. Below zero. Both kids and I were sick with bad colds and I needed to go to the mall for supplies.

Miserable. But I bundled them up and off we went. I was so glad to see a parking spot close to the door, saw a car driven by an older woman turning in from the opposite direction, so switched on my blinker as an indication I was going to park and waited for her to go past me.

She pulled the old steal-the-parking-spot trick and my not very far from the surface anger flared. I laid on the horn. When she didn't move I hopped out of the car and went over to her. "You took my parking spot, " I said.

"Well, what do you want me to do? Move?" she asked.

"Yes!"

Got back in the car to two startled toddlers. She moved and I got my spot.

Guess what happened when we got in the mall. She had time to think about what had happened and was nail-chewing mad. She headed us off in the hall and followed me, kids in tow, all the length of the mall complaining about how I showed disrespect for my elders. People were gaping at the sight.

I finally said something about age not giving people the right to be rude and she walked away.
What a major commotion!

Looking back and thinking how much I didn't need the extra aggravation that day I hope it helped me learn to weigh my needs and wants.

I admire your valuing the peace of mind, OP.
I'm glad you rethought what you did. But you know what? In that case I'd have ignored you, too.

Was she BEHIND you and pulled around to "get" the parking spot? No? Then she didn't "steal" it. She just pulled into it first.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:40 PM

15,158 posts, read 27,859,354 times
Trying to figure out what risible means.....

Old 01-13-2017, 08:33 PM

16,586 posts, read 10,697,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Trying to figure out what risible means.....
Adjective: arousing or provoking laughter.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:03 PM

666 posts, read 645,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
OP, I am with you completely. Not worth fighting over. I try to treat everyone I encounter with love and compassion, not because of any religious beliefs (I am not religious) but because it makes MY life so much better and happier. All you "stand your ground - don't give up the booth" posters should try it sometime.
Yep, I've tried it, made me feel like a doormat, NOT better or happier, and made absolutely no difference to the other party, who expected folks to cater to them anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships