Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times

Advertisements

Look, people are just rude for the most part. I've encountered the same thing with the loud talkers and agree we shouldn't allow passengers on planes to use their cell phones. It's bad enough flying with their cramped seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,012,365 times
Well this happened quiet time ago when I was a university student. I was traveling in a train to another city to visit one of my relatives as well do a part of my research. Train ride was quiet long only in between few station it will stop. There was a guy who got in and sat next to me not that very old seems middle age. He start listen to his music with big head phones and start make noises like Tatar traata with his mouth, not only that started giving the drum beat with his boots I can say every one in the compartment got annoyed but no one said anything,, train goes on,, then his phone start ringing so he answer, he talk with his one ear and the other one listen music multi tasking so it was awefull, he talk very loud, I still remember few lines of his conversation " oh baby did you eat entire bunny no even a tail for me,, naaw " Conversation goes on and on and on. It is very loud and irritated. Well I just hold on my self but there was a lady who could not hold it any more sat behind our seat quickly stand and leaned forward to his ear and yelled, " Honey I am horny it is time for sex close the window and come to bed" guy was so panicked and left the compartment. since that day every time some one talk loud in my ear gives me a smile with this unforgettable incident.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:03 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's funny; what I've noticed is that it's mainly airheaded white teenagers, not counting men at the grocery store calling their wives, because they were too lazy to make a shopping list before they left the house.
LOL. Men at the grocery store calling their wives. YES! Actually the problem is that they are too whipped and afraid of their wives to buy the wrong thing and don't want to hear it when they get home. YOU know what I'm talking about .

Over time though I have heard people of all demographics be loud while on the phone. I used to have to take the train to Newark, NJ and heard this lady fighting over the phone with her boyfriend or husband at 6:30 AM. Crazy.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:10 AM

745 posts, read 480,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Don't get the hate

People have conversations in public all the time
Why's it a difference if it's on the phone?
Because they are generally louder when they talk on the phone because they probably can't hear the person on the other end well due to surrounding noise. The same principle that makes people speak louder when they have headphones although the person they are talking to does not.

People who are having a conversation in public without phones tend to keep their voices lower.

Hate is not the right word here. It is about being annoyed by it. Understand the difference.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:08 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Tonight I went to a casual burger place to grab a quick dinner. I sat at the counter. This is a loud place. High ceilings, bricks walls and loud music. Hard to have a normal conversation. Even harder to talk on the phone.

Next thing I know a guy talking loudly on the phone sits next to me.
"What, I can't hear you. It's really loud in here."

He then continues to talk loudly and gives up after a few minutes. But it seemed like he wanted to have the conversation with his meal.

I was happy because I didn't want him yelling in my ear.

Other people talk on the phone, long conversations, in the bathroom.

I don't get it. Why try to talk somewhere not conducive to a phone call.

Even worse are the people who use speakerphone in public.

I remember one day riding the bus. It was after a huge concert. The buses were pooling to help get people out of the concert site, and they were extra full. So we were sitting, waiting for the bus to leave. Suddenly a young woman gets her phone out. And puts it on speaker. And starts her inane conversation. Every few sentences she yelled "omg I can't believe it is my birthday." After the 5th utterance my friends start whispering among ourselves in disbelief. Mind you, this conversation is still on speaker. And the bus isn't going anywhere. Everyone on the bus looks irritated.

Then we had an idea. We decided to sing happy birthday at this point she had said it at least 10 times. Other passengers on the bus join in and suddenly 2 dozen of us are singing happy birthday to a random person on the bus. The woman then got embarrassed and told her friend she had to go because everyone was singing happy birthday on the bus to her.

Mission accomplished.

She then asked how we knew it was her birthday.

We had a good laugh when we got home. Yes, I know it was passive aggressive. We were cranky after a long day at a crowded outdoor festival.

Why do you think people have these long drawn out convos for everyone to hear in public?
My ex fiancée did it when her mom called. And she called all. The. Time. I guess I feel wired talking in public on the phone. Maybe because as a kid my parents used to listen in on my phone conversations so to this day it makes me uncomfortable.

Old 01-12-2017, 05:31 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
I find this on the same level as when people try to start a conversation with you in the drs office or on an airplane and you are reading a book . They lean in and say "hey is that book any good ?" . I want to strangle people who do that except the elderly people who do it because they are most likely lonely . So I put my book down and talk to them because they are elderly and I was raised to listen to my elders . Too bad that respect has been lost on the young who no longer seem to care if they have class or not . It is a matter of manners plain and simple .

Old 01-12-2017, 05:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Inconsiderate, loud phone users who think they are the only people within earshot drive me nuts. One evening my then GF and I drove to a nice little resort town and went to a restaurant to eat. We went up to the second floor, where they had a little balcony where you could sit and overlook the town while you ate.

We were having a nice, quiet dinner when some guy comes out and stands a few feet from us and he starts having a loud conversation on his phone with someone. After a little while I said "Hey, do you see we are trying to have our dinner here ! Would you mind taking your conversation inside ?" He looked at me as if I was the nut job, and went back inside.

I see people doing this all the time, oblivious to everyone around them. One of the worst inventions ever.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I'm amazed at how many people apparently think bathroom stalls are sound-proof rooms. I have overheard the most hilarious, serious, and private, full-volume conversations in public restrooms. I'm talking about at Target and the grocery store, here, not even semi-private. The funniest part is when these folks come out of the stall to wash they're hands, they remember to use regular, polite, out-in-public tones of voice again! People are weird.
They don't even think! People are conditioned to think of bathrooms as being "private" even though obviously public restrooms are not. But they ARE relatively anonymous. I don't know YOU and I don't care if YOU know my business. That is the difference.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 29 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,587 times
For a number of years, I went to a barber shop where you walk in and wait, no such thing as appointments---the lower price made the wait worth it.

If a guy came in with a cell phone, in most instances he would promptly go outside to handle the call, as a matter of courtesy and privacy.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:10 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Several years ago, I was in a small family-run bagel shop--in Bar Harbor, ME--that had a sign stating something along the lines of:

Please do not use your YELL phone in this establishment.
You will be asked to leave if you use a YELL phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships