Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 12:08 PM

96 posts, read 101,013 times

Advertisements

I had a co-worker buy a cell phone jammer (illegal in the US), and turn it on during his commute time as he rode BART to and from the East Bay to downtown San Francisco. His stories of people scratching their heads, pulling out their cell phone batteries and putting them back in, etc were priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelon View Post
I had a co-worker buy a cell phone jammer (illegal in the US), and turn it on during his commute time as he rode BART to and from the East Bay to downtown San Francisco. His stories of people scratching their heads, pulling out their cell phone batteries and putting them back in, etc were priceless.
And probably all just a fantasy.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:13 PM

96 posts, read 101,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And probably all just a fantasy.
Yes, it's all just a fantasy. That's right - all made up.

Old 01-15-2017, 04:57 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,482,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I don't usually pick up the phone in a crowded, public place. I want to focus on the conversation when I'm on the phone and I find background noise distracting.
And, conversely, I would like to enjoy a conversation with the person I am with in person rather than someone I can't see.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:04 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I'm amazed at how many people apparently think bathroom stalls are sound-proof rooms. I have overheard the most hilarious, serious, and private, full-volume conversations in public restrooms. I'm talking about at Target and the grocery store, here, not even semi-private. The funniest part is when these folks come out of the stall to wash they're hands, they remember to use regular, polite, out-in-public tones of voice again! People are weird.
This person at work was on the toilet and talking to someone from their card's customer service dept. I tried to be as quiet as possible.

Just friday night we went to the restaurant and the people behind us got on their phone. On speakerphone! The whole room could hear them.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
And, conversely, I would like to enjoy a conversation with the person I am with in person rather than someone I can't see.
So you never talk on the phone?

Old 01-15-2017, 05:51 PM

245 posts, read 197,565 times
I talk on the phone but I try and keep it down. Its usually just because when I'm home with my family I don't really like to speak to anyone else.

I do hate when people talk loudly or argue with someone in public. Please don't talk about your medical abnormalities in the bathroom we can all hear you.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:13 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
This is why I PRAY that they will never allow routine cellphone use on airplanes. Can you imagine listening to that for 5 hours?

In the early days of cellphones (and a lot of you are too young to remember when not everyone had one), there was always the VERY.IMPORTANT.PERSON in the restaurant/bar/airport who would talk on his cellphone LOUDLY, to make sure everyone knew just HOW very.important he was.
I hear conversations all the time on airplanes in between songs I'm listening to.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
For a few minutes here and there having to listen to someone on the phone is no big deal. Chillax. Life goes on. Technology had changed the world.

If I had to work beside someone like that, then that would be a big deal.
I don't mind a shirt call, but a long intense phone call out in public where everyone can hear? Of course calling your buddy to find a meeting spot us no big deal. Fighting over how to settle a deceased relative's estate seems weird.

I think people should know what to keep private and many of the public convos are TMI.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelon View Post
It's really hard to do a phone call on BART. Lots of dead spots. I used to try to do conference calls (the ones where I was just supposed to listen) in the way. Then I became disruptive having to reconnect all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships