Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I find this on the same level as when people try to start a conversation with you in the drs office or on an airplane and you are reading a book . They lean in and say "hey is that book any good ?" . I want to strangle people who do that except the elderly people who do it because they are most likely lonely . So I put my book down and talk to them because they are elderly and I was raised to listen to my elders . Too bad that respect has been lost on the young who no longer seem to care if they have class or not . It is a matter of manners plain and simple .
You are a very kind person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
This thread made me think of this- a photographer did a series reflecting on the ways smart phones/tablets, etc are affecting our lives - Removed: Photographer Removes Phones From His Photos To Show How Terribly Addicted We’ve Become | Bored Panda

I found it thought-provoking.

Old 01-14-2017, 09:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,130,926 times
What is the difference between two people in public speaking than someone speaking on the phone? Oh I know they are usually LOUDER than the one person on the phone or even better what is the difference between a group of people, etc. v. A person on the phone? Even louder!! Haha

Old 01-14-2017, 10:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
This thread made me think of this- a photographer did a series reflecting on the ways smart phones/tablets, etc are affecting our lives - Removed: Photographer Removes Phones From His Photos To Show How Terribly Addicted We’ve Become | Bored Panda

I found it thought-provoking.
And prior to cell phones, a lot of those pictures would have shown people reading the newspaper, a magazine or a book, watching TV, talking on the landline, doing crossword puzzles, etc. Its just now all those things can be done on a cellphone/tablet.

I really don't see any difference between my parents reading the Sunday paper in bed and my SO and I checking the news on our phones while having a lazy Sunday in bed. Or reading an article online while hanging out on the couch instead of reading a magazine.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
What is the difference between two people in public speaking than someone speaking on the phone? Oh I know they are usually LOUDER than the one person on the phone or even better what is the difference between a group of people, etc. v. A person on the phone? Even louder!! Haha
Based on some of the answers, it seems like people want to eavesdrop on both sides of the conversation instead of just one side.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:27 AM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
People that chat on their phones usually have their voices raised because that's the natural response when you can't hear the one at the other end that well. And, yes, it is tremendously annoying when you cannot tune them out.

However, that problem isn't nearly as bad as it was before texting.

But whether it's phone conversations or texting, people are strangely addicted to their cell phones.

Old 01-15-2017, 05:22 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
For a few minutes here and there having to listen to someone on the phone is no big deal. Chillax. Life goes on. Technology had changed the world.

If I had to work beside someone like that, then that would be a big deal.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:04 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Based on some of the answers, it seems like people want to eavesdrop on both sides of the conversation instead of just one side.
I don't want to eavesdrop, I simply want them to Shut Up!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:14 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Don't get the hate

People have conversations in public all the time
Why's it a difference if it's on the phone?
because they shout louder into a phone as if the world wants to know their boring business.. I was on a bus a few years ago.. sitting near a young girl who was behind me.. She was on the phone when I got on the bus, and my journey took about 45 mins.... she was in an indepth fight with her boyfriends shouting and telling him that his clothes would be outside the door in a poly bag and never to come near her again.. she would hang up , he would phone back , she d answer and the fight would start up again... a 45 min arguement all for the publics entertainment.. all I wanted was to sit back and enjoy my journey, it wasnt to be... the strange thing is that myself and other passengers kept staring at her but no asked her to keep her voice down. now why is that.. are we scared or do we think nowadays that its ok to annoy others around us.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:15 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckOfMs View Post
Don't get the hate

People have conversations in public all the time
Why's it a difference if it's on the phone?
Many have already mentioned how much louder people are on phones, but in addition for me, hearing just one side of a conversation causes a cringy cognitive dissonance. It is like listening to an insane person talking to invisible people.

Humans are hardwired to look askance at people showing signs of insanity. Even though I know the phone user is talking to another person, it still creeps me out to this day when I am on the street and a person is having what appears to be a conversation with no one. Especially when they are looking right at me and asking a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships