Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 02:46 AM

105 posts, read 121,859 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have strains on their marriage due to the death of their spouses parents and the drama connected to the arrangements?

About a week ago I started a discussion on City Data about my wife's father being on his death bed and how she did not want to spend the time and money to say goodbye to her Dad after a lifetime of coldness from both her parents. Well after a week of suffering, the lord has send my wife's father home. He has died and now we are in funeral planning mode.

The rest of the family (my wife's three sisters) now are saying how wonderful their father was and how he deserves a great send off. The best casket, a two day visitation at the funeral home, a fancy funeral and a huge reception for family and friends. Estimated cost about $20,000.

Trouble is, the rest of the family does not have any money and are living pay check to paycheck. My wife is the only person who has any money and were were told that we will pay for the whole event. We owe it to him and the family because we could not find the time to visit him on his death bed.

Our money situation is good, but not excellent. We are retired.

Because my wife's mother will not have her now deceased husband's Social Security checks anymore, she will not have enough money to pay her mortgage and cover other expenses, so we were told that we should send her a $1000 a month to cover the shortfall. Her parents stopped paying on the term life insurance and, again, no one else in the family has any money.

Your thoughts and your own experiences regarding how your relationship with your spouse was impacted by the death of his or her parents.

Moderator note, January 30, 2017: People, this thread has been cleaned up on more than one occasion. Inappropriate and off-topic posts have been deleted. Please stay on topic. If this thread is hijacked again it will be permanently closed.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-30-2017 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 03:18 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,410,544 times
Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on an elaborate funeral. If there is no money at all, a cardboard casket for a cremation, cemetery plot, and modest grave marker.

It's also not your problem to pay for someone to live beyond their means. If she can't afford a 1 bedroom apartment, help with that. You are retired. It's not bottomless. She probably needs to be in subsidized elderly housing. Help get her on the waiting list.

The bigger issue comes when she can't live independently. Assisted living costs a fortune. You need to have a contingency plan for that. You should probably have a meeting with the social worker who deals with the elderly in that town. This happens every day.

So I think you have an obligation to make sure she is safe. You have no obligation to pay for an elaborate funeral or unaffordable housing. It might turn out that chipping in on mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities is the cheapest way to go in the short term. I don't know the numbers. And don't yield to the family pressure. They are where they are because they made poor decisions. Don't allow them to force a bad decision on you.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,263,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Personally, I wouldn't spend a dime on an elaborate funeral. If there is no money at all, a cardboard casket for a cremation, cemetery plot, and modest grave marker.

It's also not your problem to pay for someone to live beyond their means. If she can't afford a 1 bedroom apartment, help with that. You are retired. It's not bottomless. She probably needs to be in subsidized elderly housing. Help get her on the waiting list.

The bigger issue comes when she can't live independently. Assisted living costs a fortune. You need to have a contingency plan for that. You should probably have a meeting with the social worker who deals with the elderly in that town. This happens every day.

So I think you have an obligation to make sure she is safe. You have no obligation to pay for an elaborate funeral or unaffordable housing. It might turn out that chipping in on mortgage, taxes, insurance, and utilities is the cheapest way to go in the short term. I don't know the numbers. And don't yield to the family pressure. They are where they are because they made poor decisions. Don't allow them to force a bad decision on you.
This. ^^^

Old 01-22-2017, 03:31 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,287,244 times
Do you and your wife agree as to what should be done?
That's the only factor in whether or not this should be on the relationship forum.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 AM

332 posts, read 295,482 times
I don't have much to add beyond the sound advice GeoffD gave.

Just wanted to say that the siblings/family seem like money suckers. They want a grand event for their deceased father but has no intentions of chipping in, what? I'm willing to bet that this will not be the end of it. Especially if you and your wife agree to pay 20k for the funeral - they'll only find other fees to add to that bill. I'd be more worried about the financial situation with the mom than the deceased dad.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:35 AM

105 posts, read 121,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do you and your wife agree as to what should be done?
That's the only factor in whether or not this should be on the relationship forum.
She can't decide so it is a relationship issue. After much discussion, she changes her mind every few hours.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:43 AM

3,364 posts, read 1,253,858 times
funerals are a waste of money especially elaborate ones.
how nice of these blood suckers to want the best of everything on your dime.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:50 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,421,392 times
Yeah, If I was you, I'd simply say "Sorry, I understand he was your Father, but we simply cannot afford to spend 20K on a funeral."

They just decided that you and your spouse would pay for it without question? A bit low class.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:20 AM

24,575 posts, read 18,410,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Investor View Post
She can't decide so it is a relationship issue. After much discussion, she changes her mind every few hours.
That is completely normal. I'm sure she has some guilt about being fairly estranged from her parents. That creates the conflict. She also has the baggage of a lifetime family dynamic with her sisters. You have to calmly help her work through all that baggage and conflict. None of this is her fault and her sisters are trying to make it that way. It is very manipulative. The right thing to do is make sure her mother is ok and that there is a long term plan to make that happen.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:28 AM

5,302 posts, read 5,263,982 times
Dont let her family bully you two. He can be buried for 1/5 of that. If the rest of the family wants elaborate, they can pay for it.

Rather than paying for the mother's mortgage, why not sell the house and put her in something she can afford. Poor planning on their part doesnt constitute an emergency on your part. Sometimes people have to live with their own circumstances, especially if the relationship with your wife wasnt good.

Tough spot. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships