Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 03:37 PM

894 posts, read 587,405 times

Advertisements

I don't think I've ever heard of coworkers having overnight outings.

Plus, I think it's not a great idea for colleagues to get too involved outside of work because if things get messy or the friendship ends, you still have to work together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 03:46 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I'd rather have boiling hot wax poured in my eyes than have to spend an overnight trip with co-workers, especially if it's on a weekend. I don't mind the people during the week, but to me my weekends are important. I not a fan of having to spend time with extended family on a weekend, let alone co-workers, ones you have to see all week as well.

Screw that noise.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:51 PM

516 posts, read 429,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Co-Workers Planning an Overnight Group Outing - I so want to pass on it
Then pass on it......whats the big deal?

Old 01-27-2017, 05:56 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
I love the people I work with, and I would say NO THANKS to a weekend overnight outing with them.

I have other priorities on the weekend - pets, friends, housecleaning, personal time.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:18 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I am screwed because they have set up a calendar where we can all choose a weekend in the future that works for all of us!

Even the partners are considering going. We are not a large group so my absence would be very noticeable.

I just don't get it...we spend so much time together already!!! I am not married to these people. WTF???????
Speaking of marriage, are they planning to invite spouses/partners to the event?

If not, a firm NO is just fine and needs no explaining to them.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Before I started working for myself from home, the one thing that I loved about the (terrible) jobs that I had was interacting with my co-workers. Sure, I had a few that I didn't necessarily get along with, but overall, I found it fun. It's one thing that I kind of miss now that I work from home, even though I love it the rest of the time. If I didn't want to go on this outing, I wouldn't go. But it might be fun.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 PM

483 posts, read 692,017 times
The snarky version:

"I'm sorry but that sounds too much like... work for my tastes." Make them think about whether or not this is really "fun and games", asking people to give up precious personal time for voluntary work-related socialization.

Or, if this is too direct,

"Sorry, but I really need a daily chunk of separation time between my job and my home life to function at my best. Love to do something when you all get back though, like maybe happy hour."

Old 01-28-2017, 08:55 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
OP - you mentioned in your first post that you already had plans for that weekend so I'm not sure what the issue is. You tell them "sorry can't make it - already have plans".

Old 01-28-2017, 09:01 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,411,614 times
Wink wow...

I think you need to find other employment.
Koale

Old 01-28-2017, 10:03 AM

741 posts, read 590,846 times
There are some jobs where spending off hours time with coworkers is encouraged as a team building exercise. I can understand you worrying about your position or upward mobility in the company if you're not seen as a team player. However, you go to many of the other weekly events, so bowing out of a weekend outing shouldn't affect management's perception of you. I would decline and be honest about your reasons by saying you need your weekend time to relax and catch up on personal things. If you tell them you're unavailable for overnight activities as a rule, they won't try to reschedule the event on your behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships