Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 05:29 PM

655 posts, read 1,128,822 times

Advertisements

That pitch sounds straight up like Amway. I had a friend that wanted to get into it and pulled all those same tactics with me, particularly the phone part. Once they have your number it is a constant barrage of calls about when you have time to meet with them. They are told to not mention anything about the subject of the "meeting" because they know people won't bite. They are SO aggressive. Run far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 05:48 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
You say:

"Oh, sorry, it wasn't anything directed at you. Listen, as I said, I'm willing to talk to you but I'm not crazy about all this tiptoeing and secrecy. Of course I can appreciate your wanting to keep this separate from work. I'll tell you what - taking you at your word that it's ten minutes, let's go out for coffee at lunchtime, and I'll give you ten minutes before I run my lunchtime errands. However, just to warn you in advance, since you mentioned it's a new project you're starting, I want to let you know that money is very tight right now with me, and I'm not doing any other spending."

Old 01-26-2017, 06:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
I had a former coworker call me and say, "Hey, I've been thinking of you lately. We're having a little get-together next Friday night and I'd love you and your husband to come! It'll be so good to see you and catch up on everything."

Well, how nice of her. Sure, we'd love to come over. Can I bring anything? No, just you!

Get there, get a drink in my hand and a plate of noshes and BAM! the sales pitch starts for some sort of financial program. My late husband, who didn't want to go in the first place, is livid. I could pretty much tell that the other attendees were shocked, too. Everyone was coming up with excuses to leave early.

What a pretty sh***y thing to do to people.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:31 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Maybe she's already taken out a policy on you.
That hasn't been possible for...at least...50 years.
Yes, it was possible to do that type of thing in the past, but the revelation of criminal abuses of that type of situation put an end to that type of criminal activity long ago.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:39 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Tell her if she doesn't stop harassing her co-workers her family will be able to collect on her policy . Then play a recording of a maniacal laugh.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
Dont rat her out to the boss, she was trying to keep it out of the workplace.
But she isn't. She is pestering the OP at work about when they're going to meet up. It doesn't seem like she is going to take no for an answer, so will continue to bother OP at work.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM

8,175 posts, read 6,925,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That hasn't been possible for...at least...50 years.
Yes, it was possible to do that type of thing in the past, but the revelation of criminal abuses of that type of situation put an end to that type of criminal activity long ago.

Hmmm. You seem to know an awful lot about this topic. You tried it on a co-worker who was trying to sell you something, didn't you?
Are you posting from prison?

lol.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:22 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
"I am sorry, I do not respond well to being put under pressure to buy something, or make investment decisions or whatever."

Or..."I am way to busy to talk about this right now. Please send a me a written proposal which I can give the attention it deserves (That is to say NONE, LOL) at my leisure."

This person is clearly a loser and you owe this person none of your time.

Don in Austin

Old 01-26-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
2 months ago one of colleages that I'm cool with* as in cordial and civil but not friends outside work ,approached* me and asked when I'm free.I said I wasn't sure and asked why she was asking..she said,she needs help with something that she is starting but she doesn't want to discuss it in a workplace. Then she handed me her phone*and asked me to put my number in.*I asked what it is and she says,if she tells me now it won't be exting but it's nothing bad.I said ok.She contacted me a week later wanting to know when I'm free to set a time and place to meet.I asked her again if she is selling something to which she denied.

I then said*my schedule is very tight and so we don't waste each other's time, she needs to give me at least an idea of what it is about. Or she can*tell me on*the phone to discuss whatever it is. That way it is easy for me*to end the conversation if I'm not* interested.She says,she has to show me in person if she tells me it won't make any sense and to let her know when I'm free. I never followed up. I later found out from another co worker that I'm friends with outside work that she*tried selling her life insurance to her*but asked me not to let this co-worker in question that I found out from her

I ran into her at work 2 weeks later.I'm part time so I don't see this co-worker often since we work different floors.The first thing she said was,oh you dump me huh?I asked her what she meant then she says she tried texting me asking when I'm free but I never replied to her .I informed her that I had forgotten my phone at my college(which was true) and apparently the teacher found it and kept to give it to me on our next class. I never follow up with her once I retrieved my phone.

I subsequently changed my number for unrelated reasons and forgot about the whole thing. However, yesterday we were scheduled to work the same floor and she was like "so you don't return my text these days eh ?"I texted you few days ago but you ignored me "I then said I can't commit to meet up with you if you won't tell me what it is .Then she says,I *only need 10 minutes of your time, I'm not going to discuss this in a work place.

I wasn't aware that she tried contacting me again since I changed my number. By the end of the shift she asked me again 3 times when I'm free again.

I know at this point I have to be direct with her since she keeps ignoring my soft No's.Now I'm forced to tell her to back off.How can I word this without causing tension at work?
You know full well she has tried this line of crap on everybody else. She has probably been rebuffed multiple times already.

Don in Austin

Old 01-26-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm not even sure I would add that. Some people take that as a challenge.

Just stick with "No, I'm not interested."
"I am not interested."

"But wait, you don't even know what this is about.... blah blah blah. How can you just tell me you are not interested? blah blah blah."

"I told you I am not interested. Was that not clear? I do not feel I should have to defend that decision to you."

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships