Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,481,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I had a former coworker call me and say, "Hey, I've been thinking of you lately. We're having a little get-together next Friday night and I'd love you and your husband to come! It'll be so good to see you and catch up on everything."

Well, how nice of her. Sure, we'd love to come over. Can I bring anything? No, just you!

Get there, get a drink in my hand and a plate of noshes and BAM! the sales pitch starts for some sort of financial program. My late husband, who didn't want to go in the first place, is livid. I could pretty much tell that the other attendees were shocked, too. Everyone was coming up with excuses to leave early.

What a pretty sh***y thing to do to people.
Catch up on everything, huh? If a 'friend' did this to me, I would have stood up as soon as I realized that someone was pitching a sale, walk straight to my 'friend', shove the glass in their hand and let them know that this is NOT my idea of catching up on everything. I'd add a 'don't call us, we'll call you' turn on my heels and burn rubber out of there.

This is so wrong, really raises my blood pressure that someone would have such lack of character that they knowingly dupe someone they know personally because they KNOW if they were straightforward about the ruse then no one would show up. A gutter **** is more respectable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 08:27 PM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Catch up on everything, huh? If a 'friend' did this to me, I would have stood up as soon as I realized that someone was pitching a sale, walk straight to my 'friend', shove the glass in their hand and let them know that this is NOT my idea of catching up on everything. I'd add a 'don't call us, we'll call you' turn on my heels and burn rubber out of there.

This is so wrong, really raises my blood pressure that someone would have such lack of character that they knowingly dupe someone they know personally because they KNOW if they were straightforward about the ruse then no one would show up. A gutter **** is more respectable.
We had a family member pull something similar to us. It wasn't a pyramid scheme but a mortgage and financial sales pitch. We get a call from her saying that she was in a training program and she wanted to meet with us to "practice" her skills that she learned in this training program etc etc. It turned out to just be a sales pitch to go with this investment services. She showed up with this two bit A hole wearing a cheap suit and he did 98 percent of talking and gave us the hard sale about going with their company for financial investments.

I was so pissed that I could hardly be polite. I would never in a million years would have allowed that BS if it weren't under that guise of helping out a family member with a training type deal. It enrages me that these companies pull this crap on people and it amazing me that people subject their friends and family members to these sales pitches. I haven't spoke to this relative in months and months and as far as I know she isn't involved with this company. I wouldn't go with an investment company like that just for because of their weasel azz tactics. Makes me sick thinking about it.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:33 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,976,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Most won't succeed because of something called "saturated market". Not because they didn't try.
No most don't reach their goals is because at its base it is Sales. Not everyone wants to learn to sell and as people start out part-time they will revert back to their 40 hour job. Sales is a tough business. The turnover is high which is why the compensation can be great.

That being said yes some people use bad tactics but it happens. So just for a minute everyone consider where they or their spouse works. If nothing was sold along the food chain how long would the job last? MLM isn't for everyone but there are people making great income from building a producing distribution team.

As for those who bash some of the financial services companies at least they will attempt to educate. How many people understand the worksite products they are sold? Do you understand the inner workings of your company 401K? Is your life insurance you get at work portable? Does your current job offer incentive trips? At death is it possible to will your job position to a family member or sell your position? At your job can you dictate how much you earn and or when you work?

When many people think of network marketing people think of leaving their job. That isn't a real short term reality unless you are really motivated. MLM at its core is designed so the average person can make an extra $100, $500, or $1,000 a month or whatever but for the stud the sky is the limit.

So people can bash away or tell others everything is a scam but others make it work and many will work 40 hours for 40 years to retire on 40% of their income. God bless them if the retire and their 401k or other investments lose value like in 2008'''..

Oh yea as for a saturated market. Consider college to jobs....Many MLM companies offer the ability to market within and outside of the United States.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,895,766 times
Everyone is trying to make a buck, some people are good and some are not... don't be upset with them for it... yes, most of them are scams... I pity them more than I would be upset with them...

Old 01-28-2017, 02:06 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,266,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Everyone is trying to make a buck, some people are good and some are not... don't be upset with them for it... yes, most of them are scams... I pity them more than I would be upset with them...
Well said. But the OP is/has being constantly barraged at work by a co-worker.

Again, simply go to the HR, and report this before someone assumes that you are part of it. For example....This insistent Co-worker may be telling your work peers, Oh (your name) is meeting with me soon.....to try to encourage them to participate.

You are either part of the solution, or part of the problem....Your saying No, has not worked.

IMO Allowing this to continue is being part of the problem. Contact HR and report this.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:11 AM

52,375 posts, read 52,844,834 times
Screw people saying it's ok for them, "they are tying to make a living" screw that mess. Get a real job and screw sales...... I hate sales people they can all bugger off as far as I'm concerned. LOL...

Old 01-28-2017, 04:06 AM

666 posts, read 645,808 times
"Leave me alone", then report to HR. This is all that's needed.

Old 01-28-2017, 07:44 AM

5,463 posts, read 4,081,096 times
The problem I see with MLM's is that of the $10 bottle of shampoo or whatever that you purchase, $9 is going to your upline or whatever it is called. So you have spent $10 for a $1 bottle of shampoo. Not interested, I have a Dollar Tree for that.

OP said she thought it was about life insurance, I don't see what she would have to "show" you about that. It can be sold over the phone. No visuals needed.

BTW, where IS the OP? We want updates.

Old 01-28-2017, 08:35 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,227,507 times
How about "I can't deal with this anymore. Leave me alone or I am going to HR"?

Old 01-28-2017, 12:29 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,976,376 times
Here's the bottom line. Just say no thank you I'm not interested and 9 times out of 10 Most people will end there. None of us are that important for the business. I know if I leave the company I'm with it won't shut down. It isn't that complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships