Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 06:55 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times

Advertisements

This is like one of those spooky stories where a person appears to be sweet and slowly slowly slowly moves into a nice person's life, stealing identity, answering their phone calls, writing checks from their checkbook.....

There is nothing wrong with saying "I can't afford you". Maybe tack on that you'll tell some friends about her in case they need her if you feel guilty.

I wonder if the baby she brings around is even hers. You've seen the baby in person, right?

What I say sounds strange and like it will never happen to you. But scams and cons on older/ill/nice people are real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 07:20 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Maybe I am naive, but does $20 an hour in a small town sound like a high price for cleaning?
I am sure that it varies by area.

While I do not live in a small town, cleaners in my middle cost of living area usually charge $30 to $50 an hour depending on what they do. I believe that my brother's house cleaner (private, not an agency) charges $200 for four hours of cleaning. Yes, she does a great job, but I certainly could not afford that.

My sister lives in a small town, in a mid western city, and I believe that her cleaning person charges $100 for three hours work.

I'm lucky because my husband charges me $00.

Last edited by germaine2626; 03-01-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 03-01-2017, 07:58 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSwain View Post
Hey'up Meo (I'm English,lol)

Reading between lines I see 2 situations.

Your friend has a new baby, and as you may well know babies are a bit expensive to look after, hence why she may have asked if she could help you one or two days a week with the housekeeping. Sounds like she's trying to make the extra ends meet.

You are obviously not a money pit for her and can't afford to pay her more than once or twice a week.

Hand McLovin gave you one option to consider, good advice by the way.

Another option would be, ask around your friends if they could do with a little extra help with the housekeeping for the same hourly rate. This way, your friend can earn the extra money she needs for the baby, you yourself don't become a money pit and, still get your housekeeping help once or twice a week, some of your friends get some help and, you get to keep your friendship solid.

Hope it was helpfull.

Good advice DavidSwain! Just let her know that you don't need her more than once or twice a week and you just can't afford to pay her more than that as well. If she comes more than that, don't let her in. Stop her at the door and tell her you don't need cleaning that day. You shouldn't need to leave your home and avoid her or make up stories. Just tell her that's all you need. Otherwise stop it all together!

$20 an hour is actually A LOT! It's half that here and I'm in the Chicagoland area! At any rate, it was very good advice that you could ask neighbors friends and family if they could also use a cleaning lady. That might help her out as well! I always try to keep money and business separate from friends because it can really cause problems!

Old 03-01-2017, 08:12 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2;47359 Iw oud380
Maybe I am naive, but does $20 an hour in a small town sound like a high price for cleaning?
Yes - I wouldn't pay that here in the city.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
No......It was 25.00 an hour back in the 80's in a large town.

OP.....I think you should refer her to others......Why should a service that pays their workers minimum and pockets the difference get all the jobs, if she is a good worker. This might give her a good chance to earn some needed income, and she likely can bring her baby with her while it is so young.

Besides, didn't you describe her as a friend.....I don't get why she can't still be a friend? I would clarify for her that she can come one day a week for two hours. That way if she picks up a couple of houses a day, she can make enough to subsidize her income.

My sister started her own cleaning business many years ago accidently. She was simply looking for a few local houses to clean weekly. Back then she charged 25 and hour, and got so many jobs that she started hiring others and it became a lucrative business.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:51 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

OP.....I think you should refer her to others......Why should a service that pays their workers minimum and pockets the difference get all the jobs, if she is a good worker. This might give her a good chance to earn some needed income, and she likely can bring her baby with her while it is so young.

Besides, didn't you describe her as a friend.....I don't get why she can't still be a friend? I would clarify for her that she can come one day a week for two hours. That way if she picks up a couple of houses a day, she can make enough to subsidize her income.

My sister started her own cleaning business many years ago accidently. She was simply looking for a few local houses to clean weekly. Back then she charged 25 and hour, and got so many jobs that she started hiring others and it became a lucrative business.
Home cleaning is generally done by the job - not hourly. There's a good reason for that - someone can stretch a 2 hour job into 3 or 4 hours. Why pay someone that's slow more than someone that is organized and fast. At $25 per hour it could easily cost $100 or more to clean a house.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:52 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,374,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post

I paid more than that is a big city, but I used an agency. Sometimes they brought 2 people. Supposedly they have expenses like SS taxes and unemployment insurance. These people who work for cash rarely pay taxes. Many office workers or fast food workers don't make $20 an hour and they can't bring their babies along, plus there is withholding.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:18 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
Come to think of it, what you pay a person who works for a professional company can be very different than what you pay someone off the books.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Well, now she has been wanting to come once a day & it is becoming too much. Yes, she has taken care of problems I can't but it's become too much & I feel like a money pit for her.
"I can only afford you once a week. Take it or leave it."

Old 03-01-2017, 09:35 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Hand, I did tell her I couldn't afford more than 2 hours a week but she just comes over.
When she just shows up: "I don't have time for a visit right now. I'll call you when the house needs cleaning. Please don't come over unannounced again."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships