Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 12:14 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,958,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
This girl is probably on welfare. Could be she needs the extra $$ for the boyfriend - possible drug habit. Drugs have become big in many small towns of MN. She could be taking direction from him (get over there and get more money).
OMG. CD at its finest. Always assume the worst. Love it ... NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Darn. It all started out as a good friendship while she worked at the little store. She's 34 & I'm a 'gramma' type mom & we developed a friendship. She became surprisingly pregnant by a boyfriend & we all supported her.

Fast forward. The baby, who is a little doll, is now 2 months old. The mom, my friend, asked if she could help me with housekeeping as she knew I had problems due to my back injury.

Okay, I thought that would be a big help to me. The going rate here is $20/hr. Which I was more than willing to pay once or twice a week.

Well, now she has been wanting to come once a day & it is becoming too much. Yes, she has taken care of problems I can't but it's become too much & I feel like a money pit for her.

I think I've answered my own question as tomorrow I am going to have my car towed to get it fixed & I just won't be home. After that I will tell her I have no more money as I spent it on the car.

Any other advice?

You sound like a nice woman, but somewhat naive.

You don't surprisingly become pregnant. A 34 year old woman should know that. This wasn't some 16 year old girl.

Is she really a "good friend"? Sounds like this is someone you met in a store and started chatting with. How long have you even known her?

She needs money and she is taking advantage of you. If it is just you in your house, you certainly don't need someone more than once a week.

Let her use you as reference and she can clean other houses as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:31 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
How did this woman suddenly become a stealing druggie on welfare? It amazes me how people in this thread are automatically assuming the worst of this person, with absolutely no information from the OP to support it.

Is it so impossible to believe that this woman likes the OP, enjoys her company, and would like to do what she can to help the OP while spending time with someone who she's comfortable with? We still don't know if the friend is requesting to be paid for every visit, or if the OP simply feels obligated to pay her.

Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

7,040 posts, read 6,289,652 times
Lots of good advice.

She also has a 15 year old son & I guess figured she couldn't get pregnant. I don't know.

She brought the baby over to visit & suggested she could help me. I'm the one that suggested payment. I had previously had one of the other girls mother clean & she charged $20/hr which was why I offered my friend that.

But, I only had her come once a week.

And yes, I have begun to wonder about her agenda. I will be putting my foot down as there is no reason for her be here every day. Her explanation is that she wants me to see the baby. And it was wonderful to finally meet her but enough is enough.

Thanks for helping my thought process. I needed the insight.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:58 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,607 times
OP, I think you've already figured out that this woman is trying to take advantage of you financially.

So, calling her a "helpful younger person" is actually somewhat misleading - but, again, I'm sure you've figured this out....

Old 03-01-2017, 06:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,356 times
Is she super lonely without much of a social network? After reading all your posts, I wonder about how emotionally needy she is. I also had concerns with her having some ulterior motive, but it could be as simple as her not having any other social outlet. I'm glad you're going to set some boundaries with her.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Lots of good advice.

She also has a 15 year old son & I guess figured she couldn't get pregnant. I don't know.

She brought the baby over to visit & suggested she could help me. I'm the one that suggested payment. I had previously had one of the other girls mother clean & she charged $20/hr which was why I offered my friend that.

But, I only had her come once a week.

And yes, I have begun to wonder about her agenda. I will be putting my foot down as there is no reason for her be here every day. Her explanation is that she wants me to see the baby. And it was wonderful to finally meet her but enough is enough.

Thanks for helping my thought process. I needed the insight.
Not really sure what having a 15 year old son has to do with not being able to have a baby.

You saw the baby, she is clearly taking advantage of you. You need to put some distance between you. Before you have the boyfriend coming over as well.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I am sure that it varies by area.

While I do not live in a small town, cleaners in my middle cost of living area usually charge $30 to $50 an hour depending on what they do. I believe that my brother's house cleaner (private, not an agency) charges $200 for four hours of cleaning. Yes, she does a great job, but I certainly could not afford that.

My sister lives in a small town, in a mid western city, and I believe that her cleaning person charges $100 for three hours work.

I'm lucky because my husband charges me $00.
While is stated as "by the hour" in actuality it is really "by the job" and the job takes three hours or four hours every week (or every other week).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Home cleaning is generally done by the job - not hourly. There's a good reason for that - someone can stretch a 2 hour job into 3 or 4 hours. Why pay someone that's slow more than someone that is organized and fast.
At $25 per hour it could easily cost $100 or more to clean a house.
Yes, it can cost $100 or $200 to clean the entire house.

If you have a multiple bedroom, multiple bathroom house, presumably with a kitchen and several other rooms, why are you so surprised that it could cost $100 to clean the entire house?

Old 03-01-2017, 09:44 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,017,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While is stated as "by the hour" in actuality it is really "by the job" and the job takes three hours or four hours every week (or every other week).

Yes, it can cost $100 or $200 to clean the entire house.

If you have a multiple bedroom, multiple bathroom house, presumably with a kitchen and several other rooms, why are you so surprised that it could cost $100 to clean the entire house?
I have never hired anyone but those I have talked to seemed to pay far less, but I think those discussions were some time ago. My neighbor next door (nickname squeaky Pete) wrings each penny he spends until it screams and he occasionally hires someone. I can't imagine him paying that and he has a big home.

Now I know how valuable I am

Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,627,573 times
I wouldn't trust this person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships